Giggler are you OK? Are you OK Giggler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

What happens if the NWCFL receives an application from the original club?
    Presumably they'll choose whichever application has the healthiest/ most credible financial projections?

Comment

They've already (through admittedly different routes) got Northwich Victoria and 1874 Northwich in their ranks, so theoretically they could accommodate both - although the fact that neither is applying from a recognised feeder league wouldn't count in their favour if there was a rush of applicants (which this season may include the Isle of Man FC).

Comment

Should you be near a telly at 10.45 this morning or various points during the day, Al-Jazeera are running a feature on what happened to Bury over the summer. A couple of their lads spent a week here and spoke to various fans, including me. Freeview channel 235. Part two is tomorrow.

Comment

Great work. I hope it shows the truth of the situation and prompts more positive action.

Comment

If you’re interested, Copa 90 commissioned a film about Bury in which they interviewed a number of people including me. Viewable here - https://youtu.be/PtE50b-hAkM

Comment

Meanwhile, the two Al Jazeera pieces are embedded in this piece - https://t.co/sEcai6kPes

Comment

Nice one, thanks for sharing.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-51134707

Comment

Being close to home, both geographically and the situation, as we were a week away from the same fate, it's something I've kept a close eye on. It's great to see the hardcore support largely pulling together and all being well they'll be in the NW Counties next season, working their way back to league football.

I say largely, because it appears there is another, seemingly smaller group, who aren't supporting the Phoenix club route but are either Gigg Lane or nothing, or hanging onto the hope Dale will sell the original club. It's an understandable stance but the league have already said they only want to see one obvious route. Time for everyone to throw their weight behind the Phoenix club and get back to Gigg Lane at a later date surely?

Comment

Which faction are Forever Bury backing?

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
                        Which faction are Forever Bury backing?
                        A new owner and/or Gigg. I think they've largely lost any credibility with the majority who seem to be backing the Phoenix, AFC Bury club.

Comment

Yes, a somewhat volatile meeting at the town hall resulted in three options: a) club taken over by Rob Benwell, essentially SD3 b) consortium of fans attempt to take control of original club c) phoenix club.

There's a lot of shouting over the internet and it's all become extremely disheartening. My energy for following any club is dissipating by the week.

Comment

Very sorry to hear this, Giggler. All very toxic and distressing. Is there a local non-league team nearby that you could support?

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                              Yes, a somewhat volatile meeting at the town hall resulted in three options: a) club taken over by Rob Benwell, essentially SD3 b) consortium of fans attempt to take control of original club c) phoenix club.

There's a lot of shouting over the internet and it's all become extremely disheartening. My energy for following any club is dissipating by the week.
                              There doesn't appear to be much point in trying to salvage the original club - surely the fans and/or Benwell would simply inherit the liabilities? A fresh start would do Bury the power of good.

Comment

Yes, they would, plus options a) and b) also involve Steve Dale receiving money which I personally would be dead set against. Added to that is the admin needed to essentially start a club from scratch. The phoenix club therefore seems the most eminently sensible proposition.

Comment

Bury FC default on plans to settle their debts. What happens now? Isn't the club dying and starting again the better option rather than trying to carry on with the corpse of the old one, or do Bury fans genuinely think they can save their club?

Bury default on a plan to help settle their outstanding debts, an insolvency firm appointed by owner Steve Dale confirms.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                    Bury FC default on plans to settle their debts. What happens now? Isn't the club dying and starting again the better option rather than trying to carry on with the corpse of the old one, or do Bury fans genuinely think they can save their club?
                                    That's why we're currently in the midst of a very nasty civil war. Some think it can be saved, others don't. There's been much posturing on the internet and a few late night phone calls threatening violence to the wrong people after a case of mistaken identity and the incorrect attribution of quotes on message boards. It's a mess and I'm sick of it. Close to turning my back on it all, whatever the outcome.

Comment

That's why we're currently in the midst of a very nasty civil war. Some think it can be saved, others don't. There's been much posturing on the internet and a few late night phone calls threatening violence to the wrong people after a case of mistaken identity and the incorrect attribution of quotes on message boards. It's a mess and I'm sick of it. Close to turning my back on it all, whatever the outcome.
                                      I heard about all that and I suspect you're not on your own in considering turning your back on it all. Did Wimbledon, Darlington, Hereford etc split into factions/things get nasty when they went through the same process?

The Phoenix club appeared to have some momentum and I was hoping that come August, if there was an AFC Bury kicking off at Stainton Park, the majority would throw their support behind it. I understand though that even the Phoenix supporters were falling out too?

Comment

Yeah, three of the people who forged ahead with the idea of a Phoenix club backed down after accusations of betrayal by other members of the Phoenix group. The factionism is really, really horrible.

Comment

Isn't Gigg Lane an asset of community value? Does that make it easier for a phoenix club to play there? I imagine playing there would be a huge carrot for any outcome.

Comment

The future of Gigg is far from secured because of the mortgage on it with the assistance of Capital Bridge Finance Solutions. It's rumoured that the proprietor of the company is the brother-in-law of Bury's former vice-chairman. From the top to the bottom of the two hierarchies - those of Stewart Daya nd those of Steve Dale - it stinks. I fantasise about seeing Dale in a business meeting in a mid-level chain restaurant and telling his prospective client exactly what kind of person he's dealing with. I also dream of the day a wrongdoing is found, they're hauled before the authorities and I'm in the public gallery for sentencing.

Comment

Sorry to hear about all this, James. Not much I can contribute to any analysis other than to observe what a sad mess it is, knowing that it could have happened to Lincoln on four separate occasions.

Comment

It's not far off from happening at Southend either. Good luck with next season.

Comment

Yeah, three of the people who forged ahead with the idea of a Phoenix club backed down after accusations of betrayal by other members of the Phoenix group. The factionism is really, really horrible.
                                                  If Carlisle ever find themselves in this sorry situation (and we've come close before), this is exactly how things would play out with our fan base too. There is nothing out there that could possibly unite them behind a single cause.

Comment

Does anyone on here have a Telegraph subscription?

If so, could you please copy and paste the story by Alan Tyers from today about the short film Buried Alive made about Bury?

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X