No announcement yet.

Giggler are you OK? Are you OK Giggler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bury expelled from league, according to Sky sports.

Comment

Bury officially expelled from the Football League.

Comment

Wow.

Just fucking wow.

Comment

Ah fuck.

Comment

I don't know what to say. It's just so wrong.

Comment

If Bolton go too, it'll be one of the darkest weeks in English football I can remember.

I know it's easy to say but "something" must be done. Blame can be spread all over the place but, so far as I can see, the only organisation that's able to exert pressure in the right places is the FA. But if ever there was a set of deaf, dumb and blind monkeys in blazers it's them.

Comment

Fuck, commiserations to Giggler and all the Bury fans. What a sad indictment of the wider state of the game in this country.

Comment

Fuck.

It didn't seem like there was any way out of it once Dale was holding the club hostage. You couldn't pay the ransom, or others would follow suit. But still, fuck.

Comment

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1166472494670393344

Comment

Regulators who approved takeover from known dodgy dealer point in different directions To try and shift the blame

[URL]https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1166479335697633281?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Dreadfully sad. Sympathies to Giggler. Must be like a death in the family.

Comment

Giggler - who is doing what next, and are you getting the help you need?

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                            Regulators who approved takeover from known dodgy dealer point in different directions To try and shift the blame
                            A significant part of the problem is they are not actually regulators, though. They are a sports competition made up of it's member clubs. Their board can't actually stop someone buying the publicly traded company that operates a club, the only truly meaningful sanction they have is what has happened yesterday; say that if you own it then it can't play in our tournament.
                            That threat is normally enough to slow a sale down to make sure the new owners are OK by the league/FA as stripping the league place takes most of the value away from the club, but in this case it was already a done deal by the time anyone outside knew about it. It wasn't so much approved as a fait accompli. Which just shows the pointlessness of the Fit and Proper persons regulations.

Comment

Huge commiserations to Giggler and all Bury fans. Such a sad day for Bury the town and the football club but also for all of football.

Comment

This is really sad. I had some of my favourite football moments at Gigg Lane, and although it was a pain to go to at the time, I'm not the only FC/ex-FC fan who misses Gigg Lane, Starkey's Bar, the pubs around the ground (the Swan, Staff of Life, Waterloo etc... Saturdays would blend into Sundays, then Mondays, and sometimes I wouldn't get back until the Tuesday. Entire lost weekends in Bury). I loved the Manchester Road End in the refugee years, and I still, on the very odd occasion I go to Broadhurst Park, refer to the St Mary's Road End as the MRE. If this has saddened me, I really can't imagine how Giggler is feeling.

Even back in 2005-2011 I can remember regularly contributing to bucket collections for Bury outside the ground. I'd give a quid or whatever change I had. I once threw in a £2 coin and quipped that it was a pound for now and one for the next time. That's a lot less funny today, obviously, but it was indicitive of how the club was being run even back then. None of that is the fans' fault, of course, and to have to keep on fighting, and fighting, and fighting must be utterly exhausting.

The issue isn't just football though, is it? Go to any of the Manchester satellite towns and you see decimated highstreets, empty shops, bleakness and discount stores. Rochdale and Oldham in particular. Weirdly Bury doesn't seem as desolate as the others, perhaps the market keeps people coming into the centre, but as Manchester grows bigger, and yet paradoxically shrinks due to improved transport infrastructure, these towns suffer even more. And just as independent shops can't compete with the internet, and Tesco, and Amazon, and whatever, so Bury and Bolton and other smaller clubs can't compete with the Manchester clubs. They're playing a loaded game, and they're playing it in a world of sharks, pirates and bastards. It's never going to end well, sadly.

So I don't really know what the solution is.You'd hope that Bury will continue in some form, at some level. The town and the fans need a football club, and deserve one. I've grown disenfranchised at being disenfranchised, and have my issues with fan ownership, but really, for all its flaws it remains the best model out there. And certainly at a community club like Bury, the community should have at the very least a majority stake. I hope that good people get together and sort something, and I hope that is supported by wider football.

So football needs sorting, society needs sorting, capitalism needs destroying, the highstreet needs resurrecting, we needs more regulation, more investment, more equality, and fewer charlatans and dickheads. And Giggler needs a cuddle and some support. I'm sorry, mate. Football is shite, and I don't see why you have to be the ones to suffer for it.

Comment

It's no consolation at this point, obviously, but I would encourage Giggler to get a book out with the whole story asap, so that we have a definitive account from a fan's perspective.

As to the club, how do you get it into the hands of people who can rebuild it? How does a Phoenix club get off the ground and what happens to Gigg Lane? How can fans of other clubs help?

Comment

I can’t imagine...

Comment

Massive commiserations to Giggler and his fellow supporters. I hope something good rises from the ashes.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                        A significant part of the problem is they are not actually regulators, though. They are a sports competition made up of it's member clubs. Their board can't actually stop someone buying the publicly traded company that operates a club, the only truly meaningful sanction they have is what has happened yesterday; say that if you own it then it can't play in our tournament.
                                        That threat is normally enough to slow a sale down to make sure the new owners are OK by the league/FA as stripping the league place takes most of the value away from the club, but in this case it was already a done deal by the time anyone outside knew about it. It wasn't so much approved as a fait accompli. Which just shows the pointlessness of the Fit and Proper persons regulations.
                                        There's a lot of "Fuck the EFL" sentiment about this on Twitter. It feels to me like misplaced anger. I'm not sure what else they could have done given the sale was a private one.

Proper regulation needs to come from government, backed by laws protecting sports clubs as community assets. But that will be opposed by the big Premier League clubs and FIFA - any controls exerted by a government on domestic football seems to be opposed by them.

Comment

Absolutely gutted by this. I've had some horrible times at Gigg Lane (being 6-0 down at half time is a mental scar I'll carry all my life), but when things like this happen then all the rivalry and the daft insults that you throw at one another on matchdays are just meaningless. What really matters is that a good club, not that different from my own club, supported by people much like the ones I stand with every week, has been terribly let down by the people who are in a position to care for it and look after it, while the fans are powerless and have to stand and watch as the whole sorry shitshow inches towards the worst possible conclusion. Fans of any lower division club will feel Bury's pain today, many of us have been through dark times ourselves and know it could just as easily be us next.

Condolences to Giggler and all the other Bury fans, like others have said I can only hope that something good comes out of the ashes and you can build something that gives you your club back.

Comment

It is a dreadfully sad day for Bury supporters, who don't deserve this. Of course most the blame lies with the people who owned the club both now and in the past, but if there isn't much that the EFL could have done then that in itself is a reason why they should face some of the blame in this. They regulate the competition and seeing as there have been so many previous ownership issues in the past regarding finance and mismanagement and people buying clubs who are clearly not fit and proper it's not like they haven't had plenty of previous warnings that their regulations are inadequate and that they should be far stricter.

Comment

Terrible news. Really sorry for Giggler and all the other Bury fans, and the town of Bury itself

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                              Giggler - who is doing what next, and are you getting the help you need?
                                              Giggler - you may not know who TonTon is in real life, but there are few people more qualified to give advice should you want/need it. Also NHH if he is still around.

Originally posted by EIM
                                              ]This is really sad. I had some of my favourite football moments at Gigg Lane, and although it was a pain to go to at the time, I'm not the only FC/ex-FC fan who misses Gigg Lane, Starkey's Bar, the pubs around the ground (the Swan, Staff of Life, Waterloo etc... Saturdays would blend into Sundays, then Mondays, and sometimes I wouldn't get back until the Tuesday. Entire lost weekends in Bury). I loved the Manchester Road End in the refugee years, and I still, on the very odd occasion I go to Broadhurst Park, refer to the St Mary's Road End as the MRE. If this has saddened me, I really can't imagine how Giggler is feeling.

Even back in 2005-2011 I can remember regularly contributing to bucket collections for Bury outside the ground. I'd give a quid or whatever change I had. I once threw in a £2 coin and quipped that it was a pound for now and one for the next time. That's a lot less funny today, obviously, but it was indicitive of how the club was being run even back then. None of that is the fans' fault, of course, and to have to keep on fighting, and fighting, and fighting must be utterly exhausting.

The issue isn't just football though, is it? Go to any of the Manchester satellite towns and you see decimated highstreets, empty shops, bleakness and discount stores. Rochdale and Oldham in particular. Weirdly Bury doesn't seem as desolate as the others, perhaps the market keeps people coming into the centre, but as Manchester grows bigger, and yet paradoxically shrinks due to improved transport infrastructure, these towns suffer even more. And just as independent shops can't compete with the internet, and Tesco, and Amazon, and whatever, so Bury and Bolton and other smaller clubs can't compete with the Manchester clubs. They're playing a loaded game, and they're playing it in a world of sharks, pirates and bastards. It's never going to end well, sadly.

So I don't really know what the solution is.You'd hope that Bury will continue in some form, at some level. The town and the fans need a football club, and deserve one. I've grown disenfranchised at being disenfranchised, and have my issues with fan ownership, but really, for all its flaws it remains the best model out there. And certainly at a community club like Bury, the community should have at the very least a majority stake. I hope that good people get together and sort something, and I hope that is supported by wider football.

So football needs sorting, society needs sorting, capitalism needs destroying, the highstreet needs resurrecting, we needs more regulation, more investment, more equality, and fewer charlatans and dickheads. And Giggler needs a cuddle and some support. I'm sorry, mate. Football is shite, and I don't see why you have to be the ones to suffer for it.
                                              This. Very much this. Perfectly put.

Comment

I am reading this thread with tears in my eyes.

As EIM said, fan ownership has its issues but for some clubs - including my own - it's the only way to escape a similar situation.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  Terrible news. Really sorry for Giggler and all the other Bury fans, and the town of Bury itself

Giggler - you may not know who TonTon is in real life, but there are few people more qualified to give advice should you want/need it. Also NHH if he is still around.

This. Very much this. Perfectly put.
                                                  Some sound advice there Giggler, TT can probably give you more advice and direction than most. Bit of a bummer losing the club at the beginning of the season rather than towards the end (longer to wait until the new club gets going - R&D fans will sympathize) but the hard work starts now and the future is err, black pudding coloured, or Lancashire red rose coloured.

Comment

Yes still here though avoiding football forum for last few years. Happy to help; I’ve a personal interest as I grew up in Heywood and my Granddad was a Bury fan.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X