Giggler are you OK? Are you OK Giggler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
    Having just listened to that Talk Sport clip all I have is a feeling of over-whelming sadness for all sides. I can't really work out what's going on, who has or hasn't been paid but there is something odd for the Football League to suspend Bury but not Bolton.
    The treatment of the two diverged when their situations diverged. Specifically that Bolton have new investment lined up, those investors are committed to paying the Football debts off and have proved they have the funds to do so, and the now previous ownership of Bolton were clearly willing to move the club on to these prospective new owners.

Why hasn't the same happened with Bury? Because the situation is different. The bloke who gained ownership suddenly and against league rules in December (but, notably, seemingly legally) has absolutely no intention of letting go of what he has control of. If the league allows Dale to keep going without paying the players/clubs he owes now, there is no chance he ever will.
    Last edited by Janik; 17-08-2019, 19:45.

Comment

A referee has apparently been allocated to Tranmere Rovers v Bury on Saturday. A sign that things are looking up at Gigg Lane, or did the EFL bottle it?

Comment

Hell of a fixture list for Tranmere, who drew it up, Mike Dean?

Comment

But they will end up playing two games that get wiped out before the end of the season. I think if I were Tranmere I'd want more assurances that the game will count permanently.

Comment

Tranmere game cancelled and the Carabao Cup tie awarded to Sheffield Wednesday

Comment

I caught Giggler's interview on this morning's Today programme (at around 8:20 if people want to track it down). Are there other media appearances lined up?

Comment

What did Giggler have to say about Labour's anti-semitism row?

Comment

Just glad it wasn't John Humphreys asking the questions.

Comment

I did the Today programme when we were in the shit too – they love a club in crisis. Gary Richardson interviewed me. The coffee and croissants were a bit disappointing.

Hope this sorts itself out; Dale has to be forced out, and he should never have been allowed in for starters. This is one of the dodgiest looking ownership scandals there's ever been, and Gawd knows the competition is stiff.

Comment

Giggler in the Graun

https://www.theguardian.com/football...te-a-community

Comment

Christ, supporting Bolton is bad enough at the moment, but the situation at Bury is even worse. We kind of need each other. I really hope both clubs can stop the rot.

Comment

What's Dale's motive for not selling? Is he planning to sell the land?

Comment

For one, he loses the directors' loans he has made and opens the questionable transactions with his son to scrutiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                              That had me welling up reading it in the paper this morning even before I got to the end and realised it was Giggler. Absolutely heartbreakingly well-written.

Comment

Thinking ahead, as things look very bad now, what is likely to happen to the ground? Is there a covenant or anything on the land which might protect it as a sports ground?

Comment

Dale is going to end up in jail, as George Reynolds did, I would have thought. I doubt he'll pay back the PFA loans, for example.

Comment

Reynolds' incarceration wasn't connected with the football club

It concerned tax evasion charges following the sale of his kitchen worktops business.

Comment

I had the pleasure of subbing Giggler's piece. It was indeed excellent, and instantly relatable.

By the by, where's the supporters' trust in all this? They seem to have been oddly quiet.

Comment

Lovely heartfelt article, Giggler. I feel your pain here.

Not sure if former Vale owner Smurthwaite’s last-ditch offer to reopen talks with Deadly Dale - that media reports suggest the EFL are open to and might postpone the deadline of booting Bury out, is a good thing or not. But fingers crossed, eh?

Comment

Dale is reportedly holding out for a "two million pounds" personal pay-off.

https://distinctathlete.com/2019/08/...and-resources/

Comment

Given that the EFL's negligence in not getting proof of funds when Dale took over is a big part of the problem here, they're not going to look good if they go straight to expulsion tomorrow.

Comment

If Dale manages to turn £1 into £2m within seven months because the EFL, PFA and others are desperate to avoid them going to the wall then Bury aren't going to be the only club we're hearing this about in the future.

Comment

Which is a major part of the problem. Dale is playing a game of brinksmanship, hoping either a group of Bury fans buckles or the EFL blinks. I can't see the later happening, and it may just stick in the craw too much for the former.

Comment

Everything crossed for you Giggler. Lovely article too.

Comment

https://twitter.com/JamesFrith/status/1164580992931287041

Comment

Working...
                                                    X