Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony C
    replied
    Good luck, Giggler. There are always downsides in putting your heart and soul into a football club but they are generally of the 'swings and roundabouts' variety with the idea that you can always put things right next Saturday. I can't imagine how you must feel now.

Leave a comment:

• Giggler
    replied
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I believe moves are in place regarding securing the ground for the possibility of a phoenix club. I'm still not sure if I can throw my weight behind one. I feel so numb.

Originally posted by Crystal Staples View Post
    Despite all evidence to the contrary, I still felt they'd be rescued somehow, so this stopped me in my tracks when it flashed up this morning. Sympathies of course to Giggler.

I remember climbing to the upper divisions together, then both surviving at City's expense, our only ever win with nine men, and only ever 'golden goal'.

Earlier today I thought about a letter in WSC a few years ago, about the previous issue's Season In Brief, 1925-26's Division One. The correspondent was amused that Bury's top four finish was described as their highest league position "to date"; just in case they might surpass it - as long as they're still going there's always going to be that 'might' - sad to now be able to say it won't be bettered.

Hope the phoenix club is a goer.
    I wrote that letter, Crystal.

Leave a comment:

• Felicity, I guess so
    replied
    Been in Berlin for 10 days, so this was off radar and a bit of a shock to see it happening.
    I found the tv and Guardian fan reaction stories very moving- the guy yesterday who sat in his season ticket seat and cried for 2 hours...
    so it goes without saying that I really feel for Giggler, and every Bury fan.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    The thing is - is there a way to retain/regain Gigg Lane without cash going into the pockets of the same people who were holding the club to ransom and who have now destroyed it?

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    It has been horrible watching this unfold from a distance. What it has been like for Bury fans I can't imagine. They have my deep sympathy.

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    I think it's a fund for to fight for Gigg Lane rather than Bury FC, or at least getting an AFC Bury set up and playing *somewhere*.
    I would absolutely donate to a fighting fund to try and gain control or protection of Gigg Lane for a revived club, and I hope many football fans who can spare a tenner would do the same.

Leave a comment:

• Crystal Staples
    replied
    Despite all evidence to the contrary, I still felt they'd be rescued somehow, so this stopped me in my tracks when it flashed up this morning. Sympathies of course to Giggler.

I remember climbing to the upper divisions together, then both surviving at City's expense, our only ever win with nine men, and only ever 'golden goal'.

Earlier today I thought about a letter in WSC a few years ago, about the previous issue's Season In Brief, 1925-26's Division One. The correspondent was amused that Bury's top four finish was described as their highest league position "to date"; just in case they might surpass it - as long as they're still going there's always going to be that 'might' - sad to now be able to say it won't be bettered.

Hope the phoenix club is a goer.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    I notice that we've acquired one: Adam Thompson.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Props to whoever is keeping that updated.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by seand View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered above, but where does this leave the players contracted to Bury FC, who are now outside the transfer window? Are they free agents?
    Bury's website and Wikipedia only actually listed five players in their squad as of today.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
    Bolton have a new owner now apparently. Apologies, don't know where the official thread for this news is.
    Just created one.

Leave a comment:

• Bored Of Education
    replied
    Bolton have a new owner now apparently. Apologies, don't know where the official thread for this news is.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    Councils have to specifically pass that for each ground, often against the club owner's wishes. Gigg Lane is very much under threat.
    And the application has to be made to a council by a specific interested body, that has to explain its plans and relationship to the asset. I co-authored our one and it required a reasonable amount of work. Though you should be pushing at a reasonably open door with regard to getting the application accepted.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Hmm, they are actually from Bury and appear to support the team.
    https://twitter.com/iqinternet/status/1165343197851246593
    Maybe they even swooped in to get the domain to preserve it from vultures and, if so, chapeau to them.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    I think it's a fund for to fight for Gigg Lane rather than Bury FC, or at least getting an AFC Bury set up and playing *somewhere*.

Edit: the domain www.afcbury.co.uk is 'for sale by IQinternet'. Who the hell are they?

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by NHH View Post
    Those Bury days are important. Every away fan coming to Gigg should have something to positive to do, be that to see a fans match or donate their match ticket and travel costs to a fighting fund.
    At the risk of sounding defeatist, I think the days of a fighting fund are over.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Hell no. Councils have to specifically pass that for each ground, often against the club owner's wishes. Gigg Lane is very much under threat.
    Last edited by Janik; 28-08-2019, 14:40.

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Originally posted by Janik View Post
    Rather than straw clutching, it just misses the point. It wasn't the absence of a league to play in that was stopping Bury, it was an inability/unwillingness to pay large outstanding debts. And that remains the case at a lower level, possibly even more so as the income would be vastly reduced.
    There is only one path available now - the company is liquidated (it can't survive without income for the next 10 months) and a new Bury FC is formed to play much lower down next season by people who actually care about it. Which will be a complicated thing to do, of course.

FCUM should remember their past and offer Broadhall Way as a ground if the phoenix club cannot leverage control of Gigg Lane from Dale.
    I thought all football grounds were protected under a Community Value Status?

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    Or you could squat at Salford, which is possibly even nearer, and might make some salient points in doing so.

We're at Salford on Saturday as it goes.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    How moronic do you have to be to fail to understand that what has happened to Bury could very easily happen to Rochdale and a whole host of other clubs of a similar status.
    Even we had collection tins for Chester, FFS!

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    "FCUM should remember their past and offer Broadhall Way as a ground if the phoenix club cannot leverage control of Gigg Lane from Dale."

The council have a limit in the number of events that can be held annually at BP. It can't happen.

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    Broadhurst Park if memory serves

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Originally posted by NHH View Post
    Those Bury days are important. Every away fan coming to Gigg should have something to positive to do, be that to see a fans match or donate their match ticket and travel costs to a fighting fund.
    One of the first of these is on Sunday 8th Sept.* When Bury were meant to be playing... Bolton. I imagine this one has already been targeted for some major rallies. I guess a fans game is a near certainty.

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    FCUM should remember their past and offer Broadhall Way as a ground if the phoenix club cannot leverage control of Gigg Lane from Dale.

In Stevenage?
    Er, or whatever FCUM's ground is called. It's something similar to that, isn't it? Stevenage might be too far away, I agree.

* - further 'Sky are scum' evidence here; that they chose this match to reschedule to a Sunday for TV coverage. Bunch of vultures.

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    Absolutely agree it would be the honourable thing for FCUM to do, but further to EIM's point about the decline of Manchester's surrounding towns, perhaps the New Bury wouldn't want to get stuck playing in, well, Manchester.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied

In Stevenage?

Leave a comment:

• NHH
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X