Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey TG. Be well.

Comment

Thank heavens for that result. Things were getting a bit worrying there.

Aggregate score in the league games between Leicester and Villa is 8-1. Why couldn't they do that in the League Cup Semis?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
        Hello. I'm feeling more subjective about things and I apologise for my mini-meltdown.

I don't think that medication + post-surgery + a very real propensity to depressive behaviour is a good mix, in all honesty.

Anyway. I was at Anfield yesterday, having the full "Executive Lounge" experience. It's been a while since I was there (I used to go and sit in the Centenary (as was) quite often). I can't stack that against the "this costs a fuckload of cash" level of service I experienced but I will state for the record that I had a really fucking good time.

Erm. That's it.

Oh, and Liverpool won 2-1 against a Bournemouth side who were well-organised and physical. Their goal should never have stood, but hey ho.
        I don't interact with everyone on here as regularly as some, but one thing I do know is that this is the last place anyone has to apologise for occasional issues (though they should if they are abusive to others). Good to see you back Toby. Enjoy Liverpool's title win. It has been a long wait for you and their fans.

Comment

So, that 'handball' decision given against Mings last night after a VAR check. I dare say I don't understand the handball rule but I cant ever recall seeing a penalty given for the ball bouncing off someone's shoulder. I was expecting the VAR check to over rule what, at full speed, initially looked like the right decision.

Comment

I get the feeling (after that, the Gomez/Wilson and Sanchez/Wood non-calls) that a pendulum has swung back in favour of VAR not over-ruling the onfield officials. Probably in response to the wailing and gnashing of teeth that happened after the Burnley/Bournemouth game.

Comment

That was a clear pen for me. Not only does Mings deflect the ball with what is clearly the arm side of the shoulder i.e. upper arm, he deflects it away from the Leicester player who is about to be presented with a tap-in. Anyway, great to see a stirring performance from the godly Marc Albrighton. Villa fans must regard the decision to let this homegrown player leave for nothing as one of their more egregious management missteps of recent times.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                So, that 'handball' decision given against Mings last night after a VAR check. I dare say I don't understand the handball rule but I cant ever recall seeing a penalty given for the ball bouncing off someone's shoulder. I was expecting the VAR check to over rule what, at full speed, initially looked like the right decision.
                VAR is a strange thing. The supposed dive by Fred turned out to be a clear foul, no matter how swan-like his fall. I can't see how VAR decided that Mike Dean's decision -- that the fall was a simulation -- was not a clear and obvious error. There was no simulation.

And surely it cannot be that difficult to instate some mechanism whereby VAR can tell the ref to rescind a yellowcard incorrectly given for simulation. These things happen far too often, and they have an influence on the game.

Comment

We occasionally go round the houses on this, but aren't the trip and the subsequent exaggerated dive that most forwards pull of these days both offences, and arguably to be treated as such even if a penalty is awarded? The only way to eradicate diving is to stop players doing it even if they have been clipped.

Comment

That shouldn’t have been awarded, IMO - and I really don’t see how diverting the ball away from an opponent makes it any more a penalty, either.

Kind of glad it was, however, since Vardy is in my fantasy team. (He added, selfishly.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                      We occasionally go round the houses on this, but aren't the trip and the subsequent exaggerated dive that most forwards pull of these days both offences, and arguably to be treated as such even if a penalty is awarded? The only way to eradicate diving is to stop players doing it even if they have been clipped.
                      If they have been clipped to such an extend that he reasonably falls, it's a foul and a penalty. The replays were pretty clear that Fred was tripped. Whether the player exaggerates the movement (and Fred hardly pulled a Classic Stevie G there) is irrelevant, really.

Of course, the free-kick that led to Man Utd's opener shouldn't have been given, so my concern isn't that an act of injustice befell my side. My problem is the yellow-carding for dives that weren't dives. It happens too often.

Comment

"
                        Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                        the godly Marc Albrighton. Villa fans must regard the decision to let this homegrown player leave for nothing as one of their more egregious management missteps of recent times
                        Yup.

Possibly one of our worst performances of the season. And the Mings thing was never a penalty.

Comment

Referees rarely give fouls when a player is kicked and doesn't fall to the ground.Therefore they feel they have to go down to be awarded the free-kick/penalty. It is still a foul if you don't fall over. Seriously, would any Premiership referee have awarded the penalty for the kick on Fred if he had stayed on his feet ( or tried to ) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                            Liverpool not winning the championship now would be the funniest thing ever.
                            Actually it's no longer funny.

Comment

Would it be funny if it turned out that Steven Gerrard was Patient Zero, and it was all his fault?

Comment

He does have the look of someone who would eat a bat for a bet.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                  He does have the look of someone who would eat a bat for a bet.
                                  Genuine LOL

Comment

Amidst everything, I'd genuinely forgotten this thread existed.

Comment

It all seems so very long ago, doesn't it.

Comment

I think the fairest but still sporting way to decide who won the 2019-20 title, when it does all eventually get back to normal, is to have a one-off playoff match (at the home of the current leaders) where the team in second place are given a sporting chance of winning. It could be the opening game of the next season, a purpose like the Community Shield serves now (as that is unlikely to take place next year). To fairly take account of the season annulled, the playoff game would begin with the leaders awarded a 1 goal lead for every point they were previously ahead, a bit like kicking off the second leg of a two-legged tie.
                                        Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 31-03-2020, 16:44.

Comment

Draw it out of a hat, all twenty teams in. Let Norwich have it if they’re drawn out.

Comment

Tentative restart date June 6th to be discussed on Friday...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-...d-closed-doors

Discussed in yesterday's ESPN podcast, which is not bad:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...fc/id849326609
                                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-04-2020, 20:44.

Comment

Hmmm, finish the season by end of July; a month off, then start the new season. Get that season done in time for Euros 2021... It'll take some judicious juggling.

Comment

Particularly as the Premier League will also apparently be discussing ending the season come what may by the end of June, still driven by the contracts expiring on that date:- https://www.theguardian.com/football...season-30-june

Comment

But haven't the international authorities declared that contracts that expire on June 30 will be valid until the completion of the season? I think I read that this had actually been decided already.

Comment

I think there is some dubiousness whether FIFA has the power to unilaterally do that. A contract is a legal document between a club and a player...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X