Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    BIG 7 Table

1. Liverpool 16 -- P5 - W5 - D1 - L0
    2. Man Utd 11 -- P6 - W4 - D2-L0
    3. Leicester 7 -- P5 - W2 - D1 - L2
    4. Spurs 2 -- P5 - W0 - D2 - L3
    5. Arsenal 2 -- P4 - W0 - D2 - L2
    6. Chesea 1 -- P4 - W0 - D1 - L3

Oddly, all Spurs games have been away (they still have to go to Chelsea), whereas all United's games were at home. City still have to play all but Liverpool away.
    City have played Spurs and Chelsea.

Comment

Ah, it's a 'big 7' now. I was wondering about the point when a 'big 6er' stops being one, and came up with the idle notion that it's when a 'non big 6er' wouldn't swap a single member of their team. Which would leave Arsenal's big 6 status hanging on a fraying Aubameyang-shaped thread (Man Utd are fairly safe, I'd still take Rashford and Martial as upgrades on Barnes and Perez).

Watford apparently set to appoint Nigel Pearson, hopefully Arsenal will match them with a smooth move for Craig Levein.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
        Watford apparently set to appoint Nigel Pearson, hopefully Arsenal will match them with a smooth move for Craig Levein.

As I think I've mentioned before, one of my mates seems to have inherited Pearson's old mobile number and gets the odd message from old contacts, especially when he's in the news.

Nobby Solano's been in touch, apparently.

Comment

Levein at Arsenal would be just beautiful.

Comment

Ah, it's a 'big 7' now. I was wondering about the point when a 'big 6er' stops being one, and came up with the idle notion that it's when a 'non big 6er' wouldn't swap a single member of their team. Which would leave Arsenal's big 6 status hanging on a fraying Aubameyang-shaped thread (Man Utd are fairly safe, I'd still take Rashford and Martial as upgrades on Barnes and Perez).

I wonder who was the last high class player who managed to spend his entire career outside the big 6 - Le Tissier?

Comment

Yeah, I typed did that in a rush while getting interrupted at every turn. The corrected table.

1. Liverpool 16 -- P6 - W5 - D1 - L0
              2. Man Utd 11 -- P5 - W3 - D2 - L0
              3. Leicester 7 -- P5 - W2 - D1 - L2
              4. Man City 4 -- P3 - W1 - D1 - L1
              4. Spurs 2 -- P5 - W0 - D2 - L3
              5. Arsenal 2 -- P4 - W0 - D2 - L2
              6. Chesea 1 -- P4 - W0 - D1 - L3

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

I wonder who was the last high class player who managed to spend his entire career outside the big 6 - Le Tissier?
                Probably Steven Gerrard.

Comment

Originally posted by Glass Half Empty View Post
                  What’s the point of allowing a linesman to have any say whatsoever about an offside decision?
                  None whatsoever. As long as he gets it right. Linesman was wrong and shouldnt be much debate about it -referee was right & VAR confirmed that decision.

Comment

[QUOTE=Satchmo Distel;n2227325]

I wonder who was the last high class player who managed to spend his entire career outside the big /QUOTE]

1960s West Ham players?

Comment

I'll raise you an Alan Shearer.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

Yeah, to backtrack, it ought to be a Top 7 league. Seeing as Man Utd caused quite an upset by beating Leicester, your objection is gratefully noted.
                        My comment to Rogin was also a snark about referring to one of the "big six" as "City" - when there are two candidates for that name in this context.

Comment

Le Tissier is a better shout than Shearer, as Blackburn and/or Newcastle would have been included in any "Big Six" defined during his career by using current criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Glass Half Empty View Post

This might technically be the case but in reality it’s bollocks, it might have taken the ref only a second or so to signal play on (I still don’t think that he clearly did that though) but in that time the game has moved on. It’s also the case that the Sheffield United players weren’t the only ones to stop; along with several Newcastle players who stopped so did the bloody linesman who was still up by the centre line posing with his flag when Shelvey passed the ball into the net.
                            What the other Newcastle players apart from Shelvey did doesn't really matter because they didn't suffer. Your team's players were daft and let in a daft goal. The linesman could have been spelling out semaphore but your players, especially that stupid keeper, shouldn't stop. Anything else is "bollocks".

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                              I'll raise you an Alan Shearer.
                              Shearer had at least 3 seasons in top 4 with Blackburn And a further 3 or 4 with NUFC. Dont dispute a career which could have panned out better but not the most obvious example to bring to bear a point.

Comment

Watford apparently set to appoint Nigel Pearson
                                I hope they have Ranieri’s number for 2021/22.

Comment

Ah, I figured the question referred specifically to the Manchesters, Liverpool and the London trio.

Comment

Back in the day Everton were a big 6 club, mind. Otherwise we could count Neville Southall or any of the decent players from the 80s.

Man City were nowhere near the top 6 for most of our lives.

Comment

I would argue, despite my initial reaction to G-Man's table being the same as Ray's (i.e. you've missed one), that Leicester are not a 'Big 6' club. Yet.
                                      The designation is not just about finishing in the top few places as a one-off, it's being a consistent contender for trophies over a number of years. Or at least being generally seen as that, even if you don't really compete in the end (hello Tottenham!). Yes, Leicester have actually won a trophy recently, and a big one at that, but even including this season they are an inconsistent contender at most. If they can finish in the top 4 this year, and then be back up and around the top end of the table again next season, and also grow the fanbase and coverage (all genuinely possible, which is both exciting and still rather bemusing) then they will be a possibility for induction into the club. But currently they are still uninvited guest crashing the party.

Which is a very long winded way of saying the last high class player to spend his entire career outside the Big 6 is... Jamie Vardy.

Comment

I like Leicester and I will enjoy their continued success, not least because of their solid support base on OTF*. But I’d say currently their status is akin to Blackburn and Newcastle in the 90s, as referenced upthread.

*plus the fact Vardy is in my FL team, and without him I’d be stone last.

Comment

Changing tack somewhat yesterday I heard Spurs v Burnley billed as "Mourinho versus the ginger Mourinho". Is that really a compliment to be compared to Mourinho given how toxic he seems to be these days?

Comment

He’s a reformed character these days. Hadn’t you heard?

Comment

We stopped using Ginger Mourinho as a term for Dyche four years ago.

Comment

If dyche did as little actual coaching, or organisation of players as mourinho, burnley would have been relegated almost immediately on their return.

Comment

Spurs 2-0 up on Burnley inside 10 minutes. Not looking good for Snake's lot.

Comment

Did frank lampard essentially just say that his team needs to man up and deal with the physical side of things when they come to a place like everton? I'm beginning to see why the blame for losing all his tough games doesn't stick to Frank. I've got to say that it's a bit early in his career to be deftly shifting the blame to his players and their lack of manliness. Players don't like that. That's not a viable long term strategy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X