Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
    Palace for the Champions League
    Why not? 4 of the "Big 6" look a bit crap this year. Any well organised team that can win more games than Spurs or Chelsea has a shot.

Comment

I think my lot are likely to drop out of the top six this season, so I’d expect the likes of Leicester - or perhaps Palace? - to step up.

Having seen the ‘foul’ that resulted in Liverpool’s winning penalty yesterday, one would like to imagine that their supporters wouldn’t now have the brass neck to continue harping on ad infinitum about soft decisions going the way of opponents.

Comment

I respectfully disagree in that I saw it as a foul; clumsy, unintentional but a foul. The defender's body language immediately after gave the game away, I thought. Wonder what other opinions there are.

Comment

Well, at best I’d file it under ‘they get given’.

Comment

By the way, I think that's twice in recent matches that Liverpool didn't play towards the Kop end in the second half. They still won and I ask myself about whether the old myth that the Kop sucked the ball over the line was not only a nice but absurd metaphor but simply not able to be backed up with stats.

Comment

I'm getting worried that Liverpool might be using up their Luckybastardberbaslugometer points too early this season. Last year, to get to 97 points, we had 3 comedy keeper moments, 1 injury time goal out of nowhere, 1 late missed pen against us and 1 dubious late penalty for. 8 games in and we've already used up the dubious late pen and 1 of our comedy keeper cards. We need to be saving those for cold nights away in February.
              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 06-10-2019, 11:38.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                Poo guy
                I know you don't like Spurs but maybe a bit harsh in the circumstances? [/insert winking emoji here]

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

BTW, on a totally different note, tonight I made my way through a few issues of WSC from 2011 that ended up under a stack of books. The December issue has multiple stories about youth players being hoovered up by Chelsea, none of which (to the best of my knowledge) experienced anything positive from those moves. Did Oluwaseyi Ojo or Islam Feruz get any playing time for Chelsea?
                  Ojo came up through the Liverpool academy and is currently on loan at Rangers.

Feruz could be the poster child for the too much too soon academy era. His Wikipedia page is a sobering read of wasting opportunities. Still, he earned enough to be driving a Ferrari and get his parents a nice place.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                    I know you don't like Spurs but maybe a bit harsh in the circumstances? [/insert winking emoji here]
                    What Lloris did just before the injury certainly fits that description...

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      I think my lot are likely to drop out of the top six this season, so I’d expect the likes of Leicester - or perhaps Palace? - to step up.

Having seen the ‘foul’ that resulted in Liverpool’s winning penalty yesterday, one would like to imagine that their supporters wouldn’t now have the brass neck to continue harping on ad infinitum about soft decisions going the way of opponents.
                      This from the man who vociferously defended Kane and Lamela at Anfield the other season...

Comment

Bloody hell, Wolves.

Comment

Liverpool eight points clear after eight games. If they keep going at this rate they'll be champions on March 7th.

Comment

The Star on Sunday (yes, I know) had an interview with Traore this morning explaining how he was quick and could get at City’s defence. Haven’t seen if that is what actually happened but I might start taking their tips a bit more seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                              This from the man who vociferously defended Kane and Lamela at Anfield the other season...
                              Well done on getting the point. However, contrary to your amusingly-persistent narrative at the time, I don’t actively ‘defend’ any of this stuff - but the laws have now made it an inevitability in the game: feel contact, go down, get decision. During that particular game, pundits and, most importantly, officials identified the incidents Liverpool fans struggled to accept (and then mithered on about for months) immediately as penalties - just as the referee did with Mane to their club’s benefit yesterday. (Clearly, Salah needs to up his game in this department.)

I heard a curiously-appropriate (old) quote yesterday credited to Kenny Dalglish, in response to a moan from SAF after Liverpool had been awarded a dodgy late penalty to beat Man Utd some years back: (it went something like) “Well, if you spend a significant amount of time camped in your opponent’s box, that tends to happen.”

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                Holland managed it in '74 against Argentina. And that was with Argentina set up thresh mode an' all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWeQ3TR8iLA#t=3m42s
                                I was being born during this game, albeit several hundred miles away.

Comment

This Manchester United team looks like the Frank O'Farrell era.

Comment

That good?

Comment

It's been a good weekend.

Comment

That was so grim. It's one thing to watch a team that is so frightened of being hit on the counter attack that they don't push forward, and then when they do push forward for a period of sustained pressure, Newcastle run 80 yards from a united corner, and you can see how terrified they are because there are seven man utd players in their own penalty area, when longstaff shoots from outside the box. It would have been nice if Harry Maguire had managed to score that header, nice but surprising. But otherwise that was broadly as I expected. Who ever scored first would win and it wasn't clear where the goal was going to come from.

it's at times like this I find myself wondering why these worthless shithouse scumcunt disgraces to the shirt seem to be so lacking in confidence? Maybe those snowflake shithouses need a mentally unstable narcissistic bully to thrash them into having self belief.

It's players struggling in a confused system.

Or, how about this...... in the absence of like for like replacements for injured players, you have to change the system every time you have a key injury. You might want to play with a pressing trio in midfield, but the moment you have to pick matic or Mata in that midfield three, you have to switch to a deep block and no pressing, because those two players are too slow and immobile to press, and it is unclear what fred is for. He doesn't seem to be responding to any external stimuli. This in turn has major impacts on the levels of support and service that the front three receive. You might want to have a slick possession based attack built around Paul Pogba linking up with an interchanging Martial and Rashford, with martial starting centrally, and rashford starting from deeper and using his pace over medium distances to support him, with they two overlapping full backs operating outside of them. That's considerably harder for Rashford to pull off on his own.

Also if you look back to the start of the season, Man Utd Started the seasons with a brand new right back, a brand new centre half, two midfielders who had been promoted to first team duty, a centre forward, and a left back, and a star midfielder who had spent much of the previous three years being shat on in an effort to force them out of the club by a narcissistic psychopath, and his slack jawed rage fueled Gammon acolytes. , and a bunch of other younger players to be gradually introduced into the team over time. Even if Man utd didn't have a single injury it would have taken them a couple of months to properly get the hang of what they were trying to do. And in the mean time they would regularly struggle to break down defensive opponents, until they had gotten used to what they were doing, and had built up a strong understanding with the rest of their group, (I.e. the three midfielders) but also partnerships with the relevant players in different groups.

This is hard. However they didn't get a couple of months. Martial was injured after three matches

The thing is that this is more or less what happened to Louis van Gaal. He too was trying to change the way that the team played in a particular way, he too had a squad that was horribly short in numbers in a few key areas, he too quickly wound up with a horrendous injury list, and he struggled too deal with it, and to produce consistent performances, because it's fucking hard to develop a coherent system of playing, if you keep having to introduce newer, and younger, and more inexperienced players, and having to start over again every time. Louis Van Gaal couldn't deal with this sort of situation, and he is the inventor of Modern football, and the man who taught Barcelona and bayern Munich to play the way that Ajax

This evening man utd unveiled their fifth and sixth different back four in the last three games, None of these players had ever played in this particular unit before. This doesn't happen because of pickiness or inconsistency on the part of the manager. He has no choice in this.

Here is the thing. What would you have done differently, and how would you change things, given that Ed Woodward is only going to sign you three players in the summer. and you can't sign any more players until christmas, if Any will come now that Man utd has turned into a boiling Shit geyser of stupid gammon rage?

Comment

So how are Liverpool going to stay off the perch this season? They will need to be creative about it, can't rely on anyone else taking it from them.

Points deducted for ineligible player, or a Klopp pitch invasion?

Comment

They could have an injury to their miraculously healthy, never tiring, super hard running front three. A fairly serious injury to mane and salah, and they'd be utterly fucked.

Comment

Didn't stop us against Barcelona.

Comment

Sheik Mansour can you hear me? We have beaten Manchester City 2-0, we have beaten the Champions Noel Gallagher, Ian Curtis, Bernard Manning, Kevin Kennedy, Julie Hesmondhalgh, Justin Fletcher, Mark Radcliffe-We have beaten them all. We have bearen them all. Sheik Mansour your boys took a hell of a beating a hell of a beating.

Comment

When we look back from the middle of the next period of Man U dominance we'll all remember that one day they were so shit they lost to Steve Bruce's Newcastle Project.

(A club that seem to be in similar abject meltdown, let's chuck the kids on an hope for the best, status as Man U, let's be honest.)

Comment

Hobbes, I was thinking more along the lines of two or three months, maybe a full season.
                                                    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 06-10-2019, 22:16.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X