No announcement yet.

No More Sarri - Premier League 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I imagine the authorities will have interrogated the legal implications.

It would be a real shit of a person to insist on the letter of the contract rather than its spirit (that is, contracts being fixed to June 30 as a date when seasons are usually concluded). It wouldn't really serve a player well, career-wise, to insist on June 30.

Comment

Could FIFA/UEFA close the usual transfer window to prevent transfers being made "mid-season"? Though I'm sure there would be the threat of legal challenges from clubs/players.

Comment

Contracts are tricky things, so maybe players could be signed/sold but an embargo on their playing in the PL placed until the next season (a la 'cup-tying')?

Comment

It's not clear how they'd play enough games by June 30th to make the table any fairer than it is already. It seems more like a scheme to avoid paying back TV money.

Comment

They'd play enough games to unequivocally sort out one end of the table. As long as Alisson's back.

Comment

Barring an unexpected turn of results, it wouldn't take long to sort out the other end of the table either. Not that I am bothered if we go up or down though - I'm past caring about that.

Comment

FIFA expressed its view on the extension of contracts as a recommendation precisely because they acknowledge the fact that they cannot impose such a ruling unilaterally

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  Contracts are tricky things, so maybe players could be signed/sold but an embargo on their playing in the PL placed until the next season (a la 'cup-tying')?
                  That would work for any new contracts agreed now as everyone would know the circumstances they were being signed under. It would smack of illegal restraint of trade for any that were already in place before the suspension.

Comment

I don't see the government consenting to June 6th.

Comment

It's hard to see how Football can be played, even behind closed doors, whilst 2m social distancing remains in place. There are some sports this could be compatible with. Football isn't one of them.
                      Even if the government did give permission with, say, mass testing of all involved persons prior to a match, one would think it would need to be a two week quarantine for everyone prior to anyone involved playing/officiating again. The FA Cup could be completed in that set-up from early June given it only has three rounds/seven matches left, but the Leagues need to play twice a week to even get close to a conclusion.

Comment

I think behind-closed-doors football could start once you start allowing groups of 50 to congregate. Obviously while full social distancing is in place it can't happen, but there might be the possibility of opening up TV Only football. You probably need to test players regularly, and shut it down quickly if anyone shows up as infected. But I can see it happening in, say, July, if there are only small numbers of new cases being reported and their sources can all be traced.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                          mass testing of all involved persons prior to a match
                          Surely can't happen while there remains a (currently massive) shortfall in testing of frontline and other key workers.

Comment

Presumably everyone should be sealed off from the outside world for the duration, because any player/official who tests positive puts themselves, their club and their immediate opponents out of action.

Comment

I can't understand why people want football to happen behind closed doors. I mean, I can understand why people want to keep the money they've already had from sponsors and TV companies. That makes sense. But other people, who don't have that direct financial interest - why?

"These monkeys must dance for me on TV as I am bored and S3 of Killing Eve isn't that great"?

Comment

I think for some it's a case of if the choice is between games happening behind closed doors or being cancelled altogether - certainly in terms of finishing off this season.

Comment

Do people really care about whether the season finishes? Or that it has to be now? Finish it in the autumn. Or whenever.

Comment

Mammon must be sated.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      Do people really care about whether the season finishes? Or that it has to be now? Finish it in the autumn. Or whenever.
                                      My premise was if finishing it at a later stage isn't seen as an option. There's clearly going to be a scenario where if the current season isn't finished by a set point it will be cancelled/curtailed.

As to if finishing the season is important, I think to a certain extent that depends on if anything is riding on it for your club and if championships, promotions and relegations will be enacted based on an incomplete season or not.

I'd personally like to see the season played out just for the sake of tidying it up - though as a follower of a club in danger of relegation perhaps I should be selfish and just want it to be cancelled/annulled.
                                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-04-2020, 10:15.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                        Do people really care about whether the season finishes? Or that it has to be now? Finish it in the autumn. Or whenever
                                        Exactly. It's like when you're in the middle of carnal intimacy and the doorbell rings. You either ignore it and carry on or call a hiatus but if you do the latter you know it won't be the same upon resumption, the magic has gone.

If that's not too unsettling an analogy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumpo View Post

Exactly. It's like when you're in the middle of carnal intimacy and the doorbell rings. You either ignore it and carry on or call a hiatus but if you do the latter you know it won't be the same upon resumption, the magic has gone.

If that's not too unsettling an analogy.

I could relate a story about an ex-girlfriend and a pizza delivery but, frankly, I still haven't got over it.

Comment

Must've been Papa John's.

Comment

They're back...
                                              The Premier League will restart on 17 June - more than two months after it was suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Comment

Much as when a new season of a TV programme you like starts you feel you need a quick catch-up on the plot and characters, I've had to re-visit the league table for a good look. I could remember Liverpool being well clear at the top, and Norwich being bottom, but I'm not sure I'd have got any other team in the right place.

Comment

Anti-climax, really. Yeah, it’s nice to have Football back and everything but I can’t actually go and watch a game, so it’s not great.

Comment

From the Grauniad report. I did wonder if they might do this in order to make every game an EVENT.

The league has also published proposed kick-off times for weekend and midweek matches, with slots on every day of the week. There are 10 “weekend” slots, suggesting that all games will take place at different times.

The time slots are: Friday 8pm; Saturday 12.30pm, 3pm, 5.30pm and 8pm; Sunday 12pm, 2pm, 4.30pm and 7pm; Monday 8pm. Midweek games will take place on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 6pm and 8pm.
                                                    So, yeah, never mind all those people dying unnecessarily thanks to our rotten corrupt government, my morale is lifted enormously by anticipating Bournemouth v West Ham locked away on Sky at 6pm on a Tuesday night.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X