No More Sarri - Premier League 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
    If Spurs had players who were capable or willing to put in Tactical fouls, we would have beaten Wolverhampton easily yesterday. Unfortunately we had in DM and CD defenders who were more like matadors waving Wolves strikers towards our goal like angry Bulls.
    Yep. Some seriously lily(white)-livered defending yesterday.

The sooner this wretched season's over the better, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
      Daniel Sturridge is available if anyone is interested, he's left Trabzonspor less than half way through a two year deal. Mutual consent is what they are saying but we'll see. When he played he did well but he didn't play that often.
      Daniel Sturridge banned for four months after breaking betting rules - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51712017

Well this explains him leaving. A politely phrased sacking by the sound of it.

Edit: he says he didn't want to take money from the club while not playing.
      Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 02-03-2020, 20:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

And it wasn't that long ago Liverpool fans were defending the actions of a serial biter.
        Meh. It's the Power of Narrative. Liverpool got as many red cards last season as Burnley have since they returned to the Premier League four years ago.

Comment

Well said and I agree 100%.
          Hanging his prison sentence over his head is kinda poor form, It was a long time ago and like you said, he has shown contrition over it whenever it has been raised.

Regarding dirty play, I think he likes to build himself up as some modern day John Fashanu/ Mick Hartford type and he is nowhere like that league. I actually like his honesty in interviews quite refreshing.
          I just find the relentless macho posturing annoying. He's always ready to slag off opposing players for being shit or being weak after a win. I don't think he'd like it if after every game that Watford didn't win, an opponent came out and said that it was easy because any attack reliant on Troy Deeney is more often than not going to be as blunt as a spoon.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

I just find the relentless macho posturing annoying. He's always ready to slag off opposing players for being shit or being weak after a win. I don't think he'd like it if after every game that Watford didn't win, an opponent came out and said that it was easy because any attack reliant on Troy Deeney is more often than not going to be as blunt as a spoon.
            Yes, but in those games he is correct and only saying what anyone with eyes already knew.
            People complain when footballers give bland interviews and mumble cliche's. But when a footballer comes out and gives an honest assessment, people complain even more.

Comment

If Spurs had players who were capable or willing to put in Tactical fouls, we would have beaten Wolverhampton easily yesterday. Unfortunately we had in DM and CD defenders who were more like matadors waving Wolves strikers towards our goal like angry Bulls.
              But wouldn't the bulls have subsequently run into walls? And had a pin stuck in their heads? (I'm not sure, my knowledge of bullfighting is sketchy, but I'm pretty sure they'd also be wearing tights).

Comment

And it wasn't that long ago Liverpool fans were defending the actions of a serial biter.
                Some of them were, yes.
                I think that’s what’s known as “whataboutery”

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

But wouldn't the bulls have subsequently run into walls? And had a pin stuck in their heads? (I'm not sure, my knowledge of bullfighting is sketchy, but I'm pretty sure they'd also be wearing tights).
                  Don’t put it past Jimenez to whip out a matador outfit in a goal celebration at some point. Or if he’s the bull maybe a Jamiroquai hat

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Some of them were, yes.
                    I think that’s what’s known as “whataboutery”
                    Which you started by mentioning Burnley.

Comment

Just as an aside, who was it that coined the term ‘whataboutery’ and then arbitrarily deemed its use as illegitimate in debate?

Comment

It's not arbitrary. It's patently illegitimate

Comment

It's a deflection tactic. Ignore x because y. Bit if you're going to discuss player x by invoking team y then you leave yourself open to someone pointing out the poor form of fans of z

Comment

Sure I get that, but one must be able to call up contradictory examples within a debate without that tiresome expression being the inevitable retort.

If somebody's clearly just trying to shout another down, of course I'd agree that it's mere gainsaying, but if - for example - you're debating consistency in how football laws are applied, then it's likely to be part-and-parcel of that debate.

Comment

This is getting very close to becoming a word for word re-enactment of Monty Python's argument sketch.

Comment

No it isn't.

Comment

Which you started by mentioning Burnley.
                                  If you think that, you’ve not really understood what the term means.

Comment

Suppose it was more of an ad hominem than whataboutery - Snake's opinion of Deeney must be wrong because he's a Burnley fan.

Comment

Good crowd for the piggyback race yesterday #expensivepartner, #dontdrophim #oops

Comment

Yes, but in those games he is correct and only saying what anyone with eyes already knew.
                                        People complain when footballers give bland interviews and mumble cliche's. But when a footballer comes out and gives an honest assessment, people complain even more.
                                        It's just hard to take it from someone whose team has been out of the relegation zone for three games this season. Also if people have seen it on the pitch, it's a bit redundant. He wouldn't like it if centre halves all tweeted the same thing after their team beats watford. "I was rooting around in my pocket for the car keys after the match, and I found That I still had troy Deeney in there". See I don't necessarily see what he is saying there as being honest, as much as it is novel, or entertaining, and there's a lot of things said in pursuit of those goals that are unwise.

If he wants to play a manly game, let him fuck off back to the inishowen peninsula where the Deeney's come from, and play a couple of matches of Junior club championship Gaelic football See if it scratches his itch. It will certainly soften his cough. They play manly football in Donegal.

Comment

Well Let's not fetishise GAA football. I see no reason to put it on a pedestal, stick wars at least is an astonishing display of skill at crazy speed. Gaelic football is the worst of Rugby meets the Football Uptown for a ruck outside Supermacs.
                                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 04-03-2020, 00:58.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

If you think that, you’ve not really understood what the term means.
                                            You said you thought it might have been whataboutery so maybe you don't know either.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                              Well Let's not fetishise GAA football. I see no reason to put it on a pedestal, stick wars at least is an astonishing display of skill at crazy speed. Gaelic football is the worst of Rugby meets the Football Uptown for a ruck outside Supermacs.
                                              I'm not fetishizing it. I'm saying it's violent and cynical to an extremely high degree. A lot of it is written into the rules of the game. A lot of it has to do with the junior B standard, meaning that it's mostly about rowing, and then there are the cultural factors related to it being in the northern part of the country. it would soften his cough.

Comment

it's mostly about rowing
                                                Ah, so those sticks that they use are actually oars? I hadn't realised...

Comment

I'm not fetishizing it. I'm saying it's violent and cynical to an extremely high degree. A lot of it is written into the rules of the game. A lot of it has to do with the junior B standard, meaning that it's mostly about rowing, and then there are the cultural factors related to it being in the northern part of the country. it would soften his cough.
                                                  They should make him spend a day down the mines! That'll keep his trap shut!

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                    Ah, so those sticks that they use are actually oars? I hadn't realised...
                                                    They are, but explain why the Irish never successfully rowed back to England and just ended up in little circles rowing back to shore.
                                                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 04-03-2020, 17:05.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X