X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, cheers, West Ham. Cuh, etc.

Comment

City's gonna get ya...

(Obviously they're not, but who cares...)

Comment

Me, TrL (to an extent), Lang Spoon, hobbes, Rogin.....

Comment

In short, no-one you'd be that bothered about. <smileything>

Comment

Desperate measures byThe Awesome Berbaslug!!! here, posing as a 10 year old boy and writing to Mr Klopp begging him to lose a game.

Comment

Assuming that's all genuine, it rather makes Mr Klopp a thoroughly decent egg all round, I'd say.

Comment

Mr Curley said that Klopp "seems to be an awful, awful decent individual".
                The value of adverbs

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  Assuming that's all genuine, it rather makes Mr Klopp a thoroughly decent egg all round, I'd say.

I've no strong feelings about Klopp either way, but it's obviously just a bit of good PR. It's also easy to be generous when you're sweeping all before you.

Comment

I don't have strong feelings about him either, but he could've done 'PR' in one line - particularly in a letter to a United fan.

It was at least two paragraphs more than a manager might've been expected to submit, were he even to bother in the first place.

Comment

Well, that's assuming that a flunky didn't compose the letter and he just signed it. And I think that we're talking about a kid more than a Man. Utd. fan here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always happy to see an act of kindness or generosity, but football managers or players writing to or 'phoning fans, donating items to be auctioned for good causes, attending community events and so on is a fairly common occurrence.

Comment

Figured that would probably be the next comment. If somebody else wrote the letter, then he/she deserves a decent bonus for both effort and aping the manager's voice.

There's plenty elsewhere in football to feel cynical about. This, in its simplicity, seems a rare good-humoured and sporting gesture.

Comment

I'm not sure that Jurgen's vocal style would be the hardest to mimic in a written communication so I don't think that a bonus is really in order to a member of the PR dept. if that is indeed what happened.

It's not by any means a rare gesture. Such events are utterly commonplace but rarely make the national media.

I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon. As I said, I welcome such things. I'm just underwhelmed.

Comment

If he was truly a nice guy he'd do as the kid asked.

Comment

Beats waving a piece of A3 at a player and expecting their shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                Beats waving a piece of A3 at a player and expecting their shirt.
                                It's the lack of penmanship that really annoys me... especially if the creator has already left primary school.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                  I'm not sure that Jurgen's vocal style would be the hardest to mimic in a written communication so I don't think that a bonus is really in order to a member of the PR dept. if that is indeed what happened.

It's not by any means a rare gesture. Such events are utterly commonplace but rarely make the national media.

I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon. As I said, I welcome such things. I'm just underwhelmed.
                                  Jesus wept, lighten up, bro’ - nobody’s asking you to be ‘overwhelmed’. Generally, these things are a couple of lines long and written in form-letter style: this went the extra yard in both length and content. I’d be very surprised if that hadn’t been written by Klopp himself. (And if it wasn’t, so the eff what?)

My guess is that standard replies to a club’s own fans are common enough. As for something like this being ‘commonplace’ but ‘rarely making the national news’, well, unless you have a history of rummaging feverishly through fans’ drawers or club secretaries’ filing cabinets - how would you know?

Anyways, onwards and upwards.

Comment

Jesus wept, lighten up, bro’ - nobody’s asking you to be ‘overwhelmed’. Generally, these things are a couple of lines long and written in form-letter style: this went the extra yard in both length and content. I’d be very surprised if that hadn’t been written by Klopp himself. (And if it wasn’t, so the eff what?)

My guess is that standard replies to a club’s own fans are common enough. As for something like this being ‘commonplace’ but ‘rarely making the national news’, well, unless you have a history of rummaging feverishly through fans’ drawers or club secretaries’ filing cabinets - how would you know?

Anyways, onwards and upwards.

Hmmmmmm, I'm not sure that I'm the one that needs to lighten up! My initial comment, that the letter was "a bit of good PR," hardly indicates that I've lost my mind over the incident!

You seem awfully keen to see this as some sort of seismic and unprecedented gesture and, frankly, you could well be right, because the BBC chose to run a report on it during their lunchtime TV programme, FFS.

I see it as a nice gesture but little more than that and unworthy of the level of praise and reporting that it's generated.

Comment

So, couple of big relegation “6-pointers” this weekend eh?

Comment

Hmmmmmm, I'm not sure that I'm the one that needs to lighten up! My initial comment, that the letter was "a bit of good PR," hardly indicates that I've lost my mind over the incident!

You seem awfully keen to see this as some sort of seismic and unprecedented gesture and, frankly, you could well be right, because the BBC chose to run a report on it during their lunchtime TV programme, FFS.

I see it as a nice gesture but little more than that and unworthy of the level of praise and reporting that it's generated.
                                        These sort of communications, which I agree have their precedents (it's as close to a zero cost to the club as dammit, so why the hell not do it?), tend to stay private. Unless, that is, the recipient chooses to publicise them. Which is what appears to have happened in this case.

Alex Ferguson was also quite good at doing this sort of thing, IIRC. And in his case he would often hand-write the replies, making it harder to claim it was a PR flunkies words.

Comment

I don’t think I said anywhere about it being ‘seismic’ or ‘unprecedented’. But, if there were any actual way of doing so, I’d happily wager a fair chunk of money on ‘managers writing lengthy missives to fans of rival clubs’ not being the kind of hourly occurrence* that you imagine.

(*Since we now appear to be putting words into one another’s mouths.)

Comment

Spurs are playing Chelsea today. We can't give em an inch Jah.
                                            On the pitch, the stands or OTF.
                                            Up the Spurs....

Comment

I don’t think I said anywhere about it being ‘seismic’ or ‘unprecedented’. But, if there were any actual way of doing so, I’d happily wager a fair chunk of money on ‘managers writing lengthy missives to fans of rival clubs’ not being the kind of hourly occurrence* that you imagine.

(*Since we now appear to be putting words into one another’s mouths.)

Indeed you didn't, which was why I didn't put the words in quote marks. I was interpreting your previous comments, with a degree of exaggeration for added impact, as you well know.

Anyway, enough.

As TG comments, we should be focusing on what will unfold on the Stamford Bridge pitch in a few hours time, a contest about which I have little confidence or anticipation.

Comment

Yes, fair enough.

I feel the same viz Chelsea/Spurs - a draw would be a good result, however I suspect that the Blues’ iffy home form will suddenly miraculously improve upon our visit.

What is it with all these damned injuries? And why is it that ours are always a matter of ‘several weeks/months’ rather than ‘a couple of matches’?

Enquiring minds want to know, etc.

Comment

We've selected an odd line-up. What with the injuries on both sides anything could happen today.

There's a lot of police around. Probably a very wise decision.

Comment

Probably a fear of it kicking off over the Klopp letter ...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X