• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

But a boiler itself is not made up.

That Partick Thistle one may be though
    Not a fan of Phoenix clubs, eh?

Comment

Hang on. I'm not actually complaining that Liverpool have the liver bird as a mascot. I was just interested in finding out what the liver bird (as in that statue on the top of that building that symbolises the city) actually is. You don't need to get all stressed that this is some kind of anti LFC thing. It was a genuine interest - and having satiated my curiosity I thought I'd share because maybe others would be interested too. So, without wishing to come over all Harry Enfield, calm down, calm down.

(smily thing)

Comment

Trust me, it was definitely not taken that way. I thought it was funny, if that helps.

I'd be up for someone designing Sammy the Spoonbill, incidentally.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Not a fan of Phoenix clubs, eh?
          Dragons, unicorns, etc etc. There are a fair number of mythical beasts wandering around football pitches and bowing their heads comically during a minute's silence

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            It's also been inconsistent - at the start of the season the Ben Mee handball would have been a penalty
            No way would that have been given at any point. his arm is down by his side, and it gets hit at him from point blank range. Also surely that boly situation is exactly the sort of thing that VAR is supposed to spot. Leiceister pushed out and caught jota offside. Allowing that goal because the linesman didn't spot it would have been unfair. Surely no-one is going to argue that he wasn't offside, or that the goal shouldn't have been disallowed?

Comment

OH MY GOD WHAT IF SQUIRES MAKES A SAMMY THE SPOONBILL REFERENCE?!

Comment

Why isn't it called Cilla? They're literally pissing on Cilla Black's grave by not naming it after her.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  Hang on. I'm not actually complaining that Liverpool have the liver bird as a mascot. I was just interested in finding out what the liver bird (as in that statue on the top of that building that symbolises the city) actually is. You don't need to get all stressed that this is some kind of anti LFC thing. It was a genuine interest - and having satiated my curiosity I thought I'd share because maybe others would be interested too. So, without wishing to come over all Harry Enfield, calm down, calm down.

(smily thing)
                  In the Museum of Liverpool there is a display containing half a dozen or so birds, each with a speech bubble explaining their claim to be the Liver bird.

I was within feet of Mighty Red on Thursday night, at Liverpool Women's game.

Comment

Breaking news: Granit Xhaka continues to be a dickhead.

Comment

I think we should have more mythological mascots.

We were just talking about Wyverns earlier this week, as FC Basel have really missed a trick by not using this guy

Comment

Brentford should have a gryphon

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                          Villa - Spurs has been a really good, entertaining game. The fact they've both been fairly poor defensively possibly has something to do with this.
                          Third consecutive PL victory where we’ve sucked the big one defensively but somehow come through.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

No way would that have been given at any point. his arm is down by his side, and it gets hit at him from point blank range. Also surely that boly situation is exactly the sort of thing that VAR is supposed to spot. Leiceister pushed out and caught jota offside. Allowing that goal because the linesman didn't spot it would have been unfair. Surely no-one is going to argue that he wasn't offside, or that the goal shouldn't have been disallowed?
                            Oh here we go. Earlier in the season any ball hitting a hand was given. Then people realised that was stupid and they stopped. It's all been discussed before.

The offside was fractional. He was a microsecond slow lifting his foot as he moved with the defence. Three passes later there's a goal. His being offside was irrelevant when it came to the header.

We are never going to agree on this, you and I, because fundamentally you see VAR as a positive move and I don't. Every incident we discuss ends up the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              I think we should have more mythological mascots.
                              You wouldn't think that if you remembered the original Wrex:

Thankfully more child-friendly now:

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                Yep. You have been getting it wrong. The direction of the pass is not mentioned at all in the laws of the game. But if it makes you feel any better, current and former professional Footballers (Conor Coady, Steve McMananam) share your misconception.
                                Thanks Janik.

Comment

Does anyone in this division not gawp at the sky when they score?

Comment

Son Hyeung Min looked like Michael Macintyre during his goal celebration.

Comment

re. Liver birds: why is it pronounced "lie-ver" rather than "livver"?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        re. Liver birds: why is it pronounced "lie-ver" rather than "livver"?
                                        Because it's lie-verpool not livver-pool, innit.

Comment

Eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Because it's lie-verpool not livver-pool, innit.
                                            I've got a Liver Birds theme earworm now.

Comment

(Jokes)

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

You wouldn't think that if you remembered the original Wrex:

Thankfully more child-friendly now:
                                                I think I prefer the first. It's got a medieval grotesque charm about it. The new one looks like it's about to unleash the Deadlights.

Comment

Then again, maybe a Welsh club could've come up with something 'other' than a dragon in the first instance..?

Comment

You give us too much credit there. Welsh, red shirts, two dragons already on the crest... I mean, we did have Rockin' Robin when we had our old nickname. Then we changed it for cynical marketing reasons.

Eggchaser You should have seen Wrex mk. 1 running about the pitch. Less "grotesque", more "nightmare inducing". Mascots are meant to entertain the kids after all, not make them shit themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X