No announcement yet.

No More Sarri - Premier League 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this Liverpool team the best ever English top flight side or just the most superior to the rest of the division? I presume you'd have to reconstruct how a series of matches would go between them and Guardiola's first title winning side, Ferguson's best Man U, the best Arsenal team and maybe the best Paisley or Dalglish side, but it seems Klopp has found a way to win every week with no failures or blips that surpasses any of them. Maybe his weakest first XI player is stronger than the others had so there is no even slightly weak link there, whereas Pep's always had questions about the defence and of course flopped in the CL against the rising version of Klopp's side.

Comment

The problems with the man city game had as much to do with Silva belting one in from 25 yards, and then the midfield getting overrun after the rather limited gameplan went out the window, as anything else. I've seen that sort of thing happen with maguire in the team. I'm not sure that he would have made much of a difference.

Comment

The defenders kept falling over and letting city score.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          Is this Liverpool team the best ever English top flight side or just the most superior to the rest of the division? I presume you'd have to reconstruct how a series of matches would go between them and Guardiola's first title winning side, Ferguson's best Man U, the best Arsenal team and maybe the best Paisley or Dalglish side, but it seems Klopp has found a way to win every week with no failures or blips that surpasses any of them. Maybe his weakest first XI player is stronger than the others had so there is no even slightly weak link there, whereas Pep's always had questions about the defence and of course flopped in the CL against the rising version of Klopp's side.
          Well, they've not won the league yet. But hypothetically, they'd need to get 100 points, and probably retain the Champions League to boot, to silence claims from rival (or indeed Liverpool) fans pointing to their favourite sides' similar seasons or eras. And even then Man U fans would bang on about winning the treble in '99 and then retaining the title for the next 2 years so maybe this side has to emulate that over three years, too. Mourinho's first Chelsea team and City's from two years ago are the only ones I've seen who genuinely never looked like losing a game. Fergie's Man U sides won a lot of games the hard way, a bit like this Liverpool team have been doing - with a fair sprinkling of good fortune - and Arsenal's invincibles drew a lot of games (14 iirc). The "old" Liverpool were probably fitter, but not on their day that much better, than their domestic rivals - they never really romped to the title, and lost a lot of crunch cup ties, including two to Clough's 78 Forest side (who also won back to back Champions Leagues). The one Liverpool side who were as utterly dominant, albeit for just one season, as the Mourinho and Guardiola sides was the Dalglish team of 1988, with Barnes Beardsley and Aldridge, who were taking teams apart every week.

Comment

Sergio Romero walked away from this unhurt. Impressive:

Comment

Well, he's always been questionable on corners, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

I think people are very quick to forget what an active participant jose is in the whole process. He goes through the list of behaviours that in the past would have got you sacked.
                Man United were reeling from the failures of the Van Gaal regime, having backed him to the hilt and only received an FA Cup for their investment. From a much lower base Mourinho achieved more in a shorter space of time, all the while having to make do with cast-off players like Matic. Look how well Scott McTominey has progressed in a short space of time while the rest of the squad has regressed - I think we can safely say that's Mourinho's influence rather than Olly's.

Comment

Manchester United under LvG, spent ~250 million pounds (net spend: 130m), finished fourth and fifth, won the FA Cup.
                  Manchester United under Mourinho, spent ~350 million pounds (net spend: 280m), finished sixth and second, won the League Cup and the Europa Cup.

Comment

Did you miss the bit where mourinho spent his final half season trying to get fired. He kept hammering individual players in public, he blamed the team for not following his instructions, he took the opportunity afforded by a geoff shreeves question to talk for seven minutes on the unrelated topic of whether or not he should get sacked. It was abundantly clear that he had come to the end of his road, and he was going to do everything needed to get his payoff and get out of there, before he became involved in his second relegation battle. It was the same at chelsea the first time, it was the same at real madrid, it was the same at Chelsea the second time around, it was the same at man utd, and the only realson it didn't happen at porto and inter milan was because he left both after two years.

The only thing that we're wondering about with this whole spurs situation is how long until we find ourselves in this situation again.

See Mourinho wasn't doing anything that required time other than doing damage. He should never have been appointed in the first place. It's the most pointless and ridiculously predictable act of self harm since Randy Marsh Irradiated his testicles to enable him to buy medical marijuana.

Comment

For goodness sake, TAB. You spent the whole time of Manchester United being successful asking for fair and reasoned calculators to determine trueness or not, and now it is targeted in Manchester United's direction and contrary to your mindset -- IT IS A TRAP?

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                        Well, he's always been questionable on corners, etc.
                        Impressive spin for a big lad

Comment

Jesus Christ Jonathan wilson has written the same fucking article again.

Comment

There's every chance United will turn the League Cup semi round, and win the Europa League, and United fans will be hailing the fact that Solskjaer has won as much silverware at the club as Mourinho and indeed as much as Klopp has at Anfield. Funny old game.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                              There's every chance United will turn the League Cup semi round, and win the Europa League, and United fans will be hailing the fact that Solskjaer has won as much silverware at the club as Mourinho and indeed as much as Klopp has at Anfield. Funny old game.
                              Haha

Comment

I would wager a moderate sum that if Liverpool win the league their fans won't give a toss if they're the greatest or not.

For ten minutes, at least.

Comment

You had me for a second there. I'd say 9 minutes max.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                                    And that really is my last post here for a while, so... adios folks and take care!
                                    Don't be away for too long.

Comment

Sheff Utd v Man City was a 7.30pm kick off. I didn't think they existed any more.

Comment

So were tonight's other PL games by the look of it.

Comment

Sideshow Dave lasts 25 minutes before his latest brain fart.

Comment

Perhaps I'm being unkind. The real slapstick was in the build-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                              Sheff Utd v Man City was a 7.30pm kick off. I didn't think they existed any more.
                                              I think it's the same as the Amazon midweek package before Xmas. All but one game kicking off at 7:30pm and one at 8:15pm so you can stagger your viewing of multiple matches.

On that occasion, every single game was available on the one platform but it's only two tonight on BT.

Comment

Oh, Everton...

Comment

Villa doing a great job without playing with an actual striker - but fuck me, the last minute winner did nothing for my blood pressure!!!

Comment

This 'wanting Arsenal to win' business is an unfamiliar and unwelcome sensation.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X