No announcement yet.

No More Sarri - Premier League 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If any of these players are as fast as Kevin Bartlett - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD9SiSUdtRs - they are pretty quick. Bartlett is supposed to have once run a 100m in just over 10 secs. Don't look at his goal so much as the burst of speed that starts at around 59 seconds.

Comment

hah, he has the drop on that defender, but he gets even faster when he's past him. The main difference between players now and then is that they'll be doing that maybe ten times a game, and going even faster. Stepping in a divot had to be a seriously worry for players back then. If you want to see archive footage of a player so much faster than his direct opponent that it hurts, then Eusebio is your man.
      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 08-12-2019, 13:20.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
        If any of these players are as fast as Kevin Bartlett - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD9SiSUdtRs - they are pretty quick. Bartlett is supposed to have once run a 100m in just over 10 secs. Don't look at his goal so much as the burst of speed that starts at around 59 seconds.
        Massive crowd.

Comment

Son Heung-Min is definitely the fastest player with the ball at his feet that I've seen play in real life. He puts his head down and just goes. A lot of players can run fast but they can't all take the ball with them like he does.

Comment

Very few people went to football in the 1980's. Look at the everton figure. They won the league, and their average attendance is about 60% of their biggest attendance. There must have been a lot of games that season where goodison was nearly half empty. There are 8,000 more everton fans at an average match now, and they're shite. Back in 84-85 they were amazing.

I would however not rule out that this table is evidence of industrial level under-reporting of crowds, and the siphoning of money.
            Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 08-12-2019, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              Son Heung-Min is definitely the fastest player with the ball at his feet that I've seen play in real life. He puts his head down and just goes. A lot of players can run fast but they can't all take the ball with them like he does.
              Bale was apparently faster if you've seen him. The player that I've seen in the flesh who just didn't look like the others around him, was a young Aaron lennon. He looked like his feet weren't touching the ground. .

Comment

I don't really remember Bale in his early days and I only would have seen him for Wales. Son isn't just fast, he looks fast. When he starts running he just takes off.

Comment

Back in the day when Fergie's Aberdeen were tearing up Europe, one of their most potent weapons was Dougie Bell. Never really lauded, barely a cap and not even that fast but he would run directly at opposing defences and throw them into a mad panic. He very rarely finished the move but he knew when to release the ball. It is very, very difficult to defend against that.

John Wark was good at it too and he also scored a lot. Maybe that's why Dougie didn't get the caps. Having said that, Son's goal was a thing of beauty and he seems like a nice guy too. Strange really that he's doing that in Mr Anti-Football's team.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                    If you want to see archive footage of a player so much faster than his direct opponent that it hurts, then Eusebio is your man.
                    Or Stanley Matthews. He is ~49 years old here. He is going at twice the speed of the rest of the game. Christ knows how fast he was aged 25!
                    Last edited by Janik; 08-12-2019, 13:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Erskine Bridges View Post
                      Back in the day when Fergie's Aberdeen were tearing up Europe, one of their most potent weapons was Dougie Bell. Never really lauded, barely a cap and not even that fast but he would run directly at opposing defences and throw them into a mad panic. He very rarely finished the move but he knew when to release the ball. It is very, very difficult to defend against that.
                      You make him sound like a scottish Steve mcManaman.

Originally posted by Erskine Bridges View Post
                      John Wark was good at it too and he also scored a lot. Maybe that's why Dougie didn't get the caps. Having said that, Son's goal was a thing of beauty and he seems like a nice guy too. Strange really that he's doing that in Mr Anti-Football's team
                      That goal is the extreme example of what mourinho actually just wants him to do. When the opposition drop back like a full back, then when the opposition eventually lose the ball go straight for goal. That's basically the limit of it. There's not really any instructions at all about linking up with teammates. It's get a goal ahead, and hit really fast on the counter attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                        Or Stanley Matthews. He is ~49 years old here. He is going at twice the speed of the rest of the game. Christ knows how fast he was aged 25!
                        holy fuck.

Comment

Very few people went to football in the 1980's. Look at the everton figure. They won the league, and their average attendance is about 60% of their biggest attendance. There must have been a lot of games that season where goodison was nearly half empty. There are 8,000 more everton fans at an average match now, and they're shite. Back in 84-85 they were amazing.

I would however not rule out that this table is evidence of industrial level under-reporting of crowds, and the siphoning of money.
                          Everton had 47,500 for an FA Cup 5th round tie vs Telford United in 84/85, and I believe it was their 3rd highest crowd of the season, after an ECWC tie vs Bayern Munich, and the Merseyside derby.

There were 11,000 or so at the WBA vs Brighton game on the video, but Albion recorded some attendances of barely 6,000 during the (slightly earlier) Ron Saunders era. The Hawthorns had a capacity of about 31,000 in those days, but there was still room even on the odd occasion we had that many in, such as against Everton in a 3rd round cup tie in 88/89. Birmingham 's crowds sometimes dropped to 4,500 in those days, and St Andrews seemed an even bigger ground than the Hawthorns. Crowds at places like Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham could also be very very low in that era.

Comment

On speed

The record was 44.72 km/h (27.8 mph), measured between meter 60 and meter 80 of the 100 meters sprint of the World Championships in Berlin on 16 August 2009 by Usain Bolt.(Bolt's average speed over the course of this race was 37.58 km/h or 23.35 mph.)

Comment

holy fuck.
                              It's not how one thinks of Matthews, is it? But it makes sense - all the trickery in the world is pointless unless you possess the explosive pace to exploit the fraction a second opening you have created by the defender misreading your intentions. Without that you might create the hole, but you won't be able to power into and through it.

Comment

Both sets of fans at Carrow Road singing a rude anti VAR ditty apparently.

Comment

yeah, but beating an opponent and making space for a cross, is change of pace and balance. And if you look at a lot of those old clips, there's very few examples of a player once beaten, bouncing back. That's a relatively new thing. What you posted was a clip of a 49 year old doing a passable impression of the first time we Saw Thierry Henry. or of Ronaldo at Barcelona. (Btw that ronaldo clip made me very nostalgic. I'd say I saw eighty percent of those goals televised live, and even watching a compilation of goals doesn't do justice to how excited you'd get when Ronaldo got the ball and turned on goal literally anywhere anywhere in the opposition half of the pitch.}

Comment

Some numbers/facts
                                    Eight league wins in a row - a club record for the top flight and one off the club best run in all Divisions
                                    Best defence in the top tier (10 conceded in 16 games)
                                    Third best attack (39/10)
                                    Best goal difference (+29)
                                    Top scorer (Vardy, 16)
                                    Nine points clear of fourth, 14 clear of fifth (though Wolves can cut that back to 12 again later)

A win over 19th placed Norwich next Saturday would equal the club record, and [Ranieri]make the 40 point target already[/Ranieri]. A win, or even a draw, would also mean the Leicester-Liverpool game on Boxing Day is 2nd vs 1st in the league. Now Leicester, as a club, have played in those before, many but not all four seasons ago. But I've never been in attendance for any of them. And I've got a ticket for this one...

It's all very pleasing.

Comment

Janik, I'm terrified it will be a cricket score. We are just absolutely not up to it.

Mind you, I thought Man City might hammer us.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                        Was he smiling during the dribble? It would be nice to think so.
                                        Sonny is always smiling.

And that was Goal of the Century, never mind the season.

Comment

Today feels like the day reality finally hit home. The positive displays against Everton and Arsenal have been erased by two really poor shows against Southampton and Sheff Utd. No blaming injuries, VAR or bad luck. We were just shown up to be way out of our depth physically, mentally, tactically, plus through a sheer lack of quality as well. I wouldn't criticise the manager and the players as it's not down to a lack of effort, but nothing is changing or improving as the season goes on. There's a long way to go, but perhaps not long enough.

I genuinely cannot see us winning another game until the New Year unless we get a freak Man City style result. It's the first time the general reaction from the fans has gone from hopefully positive to hopelessly doomed.

Comment

Heaton's delayed reaction, when Iheanacho's shot was already in the back of his net for Leicester's second goal, was funny.

Comment

Given the amount of chances Leicester had, saying it could have been different feels a stretch (ha), but 1-0 is very different from 0-1. Would it have been the same from that score. Maybe, maybe not. And it probably should have been 1-0 - El Ghazi's was a sitter. It looked like it he shinned it. And the Mings staying on when injured looked like it made the opening goal more likely. Engels would likely have got to Vardy after the miss-kick.

Comment

Sprinters: Malcolm McDonald, European Superstars, 1975 (full episode):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIH2waJj9-U

The commentary says he was nursing a pulled muscle, which makes it all the more amazing that his club allowed him to compete and risk injury.

There used to be a sprint held at Wembley where players had to run in their boots.

Fastest player I've seen live is Kanchelskis, Euro 96. Anelka was also quite quick when I saw him in 1998.

Michael Owen was too quick for Argentina in WC 1998. Maybe a young Suarez before he ate the pies? Pele 1958-62? Garrincha? Messi over 10 yards. First 5 yards in your head of course (Bobby Moore).
                                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-12-2019, 12:54.

Comment

Williams of Athletic Club is pretty speedy.

Comment

Reports are coming in from the London Stadium that an intruder broke into the Arsenal dressing room at half time. Described as a shaven-headed man in his 50's wearing a faded Melody Maker t-shirt and with a 'crazed gleam' in his eye, the unauthorised visitor apparently subjected the Gunners' players to a ferocious stream of foul-mouthed invective. However when security personnel arrived to remove him, the players admitted that he was 'talking a lot of sense actually' and used his suggestions as the basis for their second-half game plan.

The man was later seen sporting a smug grin, typing furiously on a laptop.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X