No More Sarri - Premier League 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EIM View Post

3000 words on Brexit and Trump, 1000 on Mourinho.
    He's cutting back on the Mourinho stuff?

Comment

So, if Solskjaer could get all opposing teams to do the attacking and leave open space in the back, he could be on to a good thing.

Comment

So I assume we're all aware of the video of the Man City fan making monkey gestures at Fred, in addition to him being pelted with lighters when attempting to perform the heinous act of taking a corner?

I mean, for fuck's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
          I’m assuming that sometime in May we’ll find out that we’ve been fielding an ineligible player and be docked our lead plus one point.
          Has Chirivella played at all in the league yet?

Comment

The only way that could have been meaningfully better was if man utd were given a late penalty by VAR for a handball by a city player.

the way rashford changes direction to win the penalty was a thing of beauty. I had to watch two replays to figure out what he had done, the two poor city players involved had no idea what had just happened, and bernardo silva was reduced to blind panic. It's a pity that he didn't score those two other chances because the two moves were really beautiful, and I don't understand how a skinny fucker like rashford can stop the ball on the edge of the box, and then hit the ball off a crossbar so hard that it goes 30 feet into the air, while barely swinging his leg back, and basically standing bolt upright. The sheer strength, and technique involved in that is astonishing. But it's not just him. That's just a couple examples of things in that game that were really eyecatching. Someone has uploaded a load of extended highlights of matches from the 93-94 and 94-95 season onto youtube. All I can say is that Man utd fans should respect these current players more. They're all a lot better than the players they remember as being really good. Even Fred.

Two things really stood out from the man utd point of view. The first was the slickness of man utd's attacking. The thing that primarily differentiates Man City From arsene wenger's arsenal in a tactical sense, is that Man city attack in a very structured way that makes it surprisingly difficult to counter attack them if you win the ball.. They may have the ball in your half, but they are generally in a position to snuff things out if you try to break their siege. (You can see that there are six outfield players in the penalty area when rashford wins the penalty) You have to be very slick to cut them up like that.

The second striking thing was how disciplined and well drilled the man utd defence was. If you are being besieged by man city, they are primarily trying to pull apart your defensive shape by moving the ball from side to side very quickly, and using interchanging players, to try and pull players out of position and create a gap. They are prepared to be very patient, and the defender has to be even more patient. There was one moment where lindelof just gave the ball to sterling, and he thought he was away, but got away with it because the other players were standing exactly where they were supposed to be and sterling got shepherded across the box.

Fred was so good, that I just found myself wondering has he gone back on the Juice again? and there was something about the way that man utd ensured that there was almost no actual football played after the city goal reminded me, that for all his positivity and friendly upbeat public persona, I specifically remember the manager sprinting 80 yards with the express intention of committing a professional foul. and getting the job done.

By the way, It's worth watching the highlights, just so you can pay special attention to Gary Neville's OOooooooh responses to the big moments in the game. His reaction to the Martial goal is very funny. The way he comes back with the passion..... you just have to wonder if the 9 minutes in sheffield broke something inside him. By the way, that's fred setting up the chance for rashford that he puts wide of the post.

BTW how is Harry maguire's hair more implausible than Wayne rooney's? Then again, neither of them come close to Noel Gallagher. Jesus, the state of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
              So I assume we're all aware of the video of the Man City fan making monkey gestures at Fred, in addition to him being pelted with lighters when attempting to perform the heinous act of taking a corner?

I mean, for fuck's sake.
              That surely should have consequences (though I'm not confident that it will). There was a shot of Fred being hit by a bottle. To his credit, he didn't fall over like a Rivaldo. But for a few minutes, Man Utd as as team looked a bit rattled. That cannot be acceptable that violence by spectators against players affect the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                Guardiola has jumped the shark in this job. Can't disguise that the team has a very soft underbelly and overplays in the manner of latter-day Wenger. Leicester are currently a better side, not just Liverpool.
                He had no Plan B for the loss of Laporte so had to use Plan D, which just isn’t good enough. The core has been removed.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

That surely should have consequences (though I'm not confident that it will). There was a shot of Fred being hit by a bottle. To his credit, he didn't fall over like a Rivaldo. But for a few minutes, Man Utd as as team looked a bit rattled. That cannot be acceptable that violence by spectators against players affect the game.
                  Completely agree.

Comment

Is there anything more life-affirming than watching a joyful Duncan Ferguson bouncing down the touchline?

Comment

Just about everything?

Comment

Son Heung-Min scores one of the greatest goals in the history of goal greatness, and gets pushed out of the headlines by a bunch of morons. Fuck 'em.

Comment

Strong words from Alan Shearer as he advocates banning Manchester City for life. Draconian maybe, but I think he's on to something.

Comment

I would like to subscribe to your pamphlet.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                              Son Heung-Min scores one of the greatest goals in the history of goal greatness, and gets pushed out of the headlines by a bunch of morons. Fuck 'em.
                              Let the debate about that goal versus Weah's against Verona begin!

https://twitter.com/acmilan/status/773885648814034944

Comment

Harry Kane's beard line is too high. He should square it across his throat or something, his current style does him no favours.

With apologies to Snake, but I always like seeing Burnley splatted. It's nothing they've done, and is related to a former boss. Anything that spoils his weekend is a plus for me.

Comment

They should have tackled Son there, imho.

Comment

Was he smiling during the dribble? It would be nice to think so.

Comment

I enjoyed Son's goal. In fact, he's usually good to watch.

The Son always shines on TV.

Comment

When they interviewed him afterwards, he mumbled that he got a bit lucky. How self-effacing can you be? He just navigated through the entire Burnley team without them landing a stud on him. Pure skill. It was a glorious goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

He had no Plan B for the loss of Laporte so had to use Plan D, which just isn’t good enough. The core has been removed.
                                          The core was still playing at centre-back even though Stones and Otamendi were both available. As talented as that midfield is, it's also got a very soft centre.

Comment

Gary Neville's blamed Boris Johnson for the rise of racism in society. If he could expand that to "if you support a football club, don't vote Tory" it would probably swing the election.

Comment

If only there were any stewards and law enforcement around to prevent players from being assaulted and racially abused...

Comment

The thing about that Son goal is that people shouldn't have been quite so surprised by it. He tried to do something quite similar a couple of times in that game alone, but was stopped, by well positioned opponents, and he's not the only one. That goal is just one example of an increasingly obvious phenomenon of a player picking up the ball from a corner about 80 yards from the opposition goal, and driving straight for goal. Other really obvious examples of players who do this are rashford and James, though the prime example of someone like this is mbappe. These four players are pretty much the fastest players in the world, with james having a top speed this season of 35 kmph, Son with 35.7 kmph, Rashford with 36.3 kmph, and Mbappe was clocked doing 38 kmph against monaco. This is apparently the fastest that a top flight footballer has run in a game. It doesn't actually look that impressive, because the players around him are clearly also very fucking fast, except they're straining every sinew and literally in no position to think about the football, while he makes scoring look like the easiest thing in world.

That makes mbappe 20% faster than Messi ever was, though that has to be tempered by the realization that the way barcelona actually play means that the number of 60 to 70 metre sprints you need to do to get up to that speed are actually quite few and far between so there's no way of knowing how fast Messi could have moved in his peak That said, Sane would be in that list alongside Son (Gareth bale would have been in this list a couple of years ago, but his days of hitting 36.9 km are behind him. Bale's figure is the most astonishing one. He's a very big man to be moving around at that speed.) There are a lot of players in the premier league just below the 35 kmph mark, and depending on the individual circumstances of a particular game, one of them might find the occasion to go even faster, and essentially the number of players in the premier league, who are as fast or faster than cristiano ronaldo was at his peak is at least 20 or 30. and it means that pretty much every time the opposition has a corner, most teams are going to try and score one of these goals. Indeed the clearest example I can think of is the Man utd arsenal game, played in a monsoon. Man utd had a corner, arsenal tore straight down the other end, and De Gea made a really good double save. From the resulting corner man utd sprinted straight down the other end, and mcTominay scored from a cut back. You can see both incidents here.

Comment

What's the equivalent speed of guys running the 60m indoors at a world athletics championship?

Comment

I'm not sure. But even Kylian mbappe comes nowhere near being as fast as top sprinter. It's like the difference between a drag racer and a formula one car. both are absurdly fast, but one is faster than the other, but the other can change direction and go way further.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X