X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair to say Genoa are slightly excited about their survival:

https://twitter.com/GenoaCFC/status/1290035535088517120

Comment

Roma end Juve's unbeaten record at home. Steve Banyard, who I like as a commentator ended the match broadcast with some unintentionally funny phrasing: This is a win Roma will remember for a long time. Of course, the result has no impact on the final standings.

Exactly. Always nice to beat Juve but in a meaningless game, that win doesn't matter. Hopefully, Roma's recent positive run translates to a Europa run to give me a reason start watching that tournament when it returns.

Comment

Ursus to thread:

https://www.the42.ie/as-roma-dan-fri...69327-Aug2020/

Comment

Palotta has been desperate to sell for some time, having been worn down by the ceaseless bureaucratic obstacles that have prevented the new stadium from happening (I have always wondered how well advised he was about the reality of building major projects in Italy, particularly in Rome).

Friedkin has money, but seems potentially even more clueless about the culture and context. I admit to having negative expectations about car dealers' participation in sports, as their record in baseball has been dire.

Comment

Yes, Palotta seemed to want out once it was clear that a new stadium wasn't going to happen. I haven't been to Rome so I have no idea what kind of locales could be used for a new stadium. But I would say that if the NY Yankees and Mets MLB teams could build new stadia in New York and if football clubs in London can build new stadia then there would need to be room somewhere to build in Rome. But the trick would be getting the land close to mass transport without state interference.

The reality is that most of the teams in Italy will not be able to compete with Juve more generally and certainly not when Juve has their own stadium income. It's not a coincidence that Juve has won every title since they opened their new stadium. American owners certainly understand how much income can come from owning one's own stadium.

Comment

Location isn't an issue. There are a number of locations that would work.

The complexities of overlapping regulations, endemic corruption and a dysfunctional government are the problems.

Unfortunately, the situation in Rome, while somewhat extreme, is closer to that applicable in the municipalities that house Serie A clubs than is Juventus' (which combines a massive volume of own funds to devote to the project, land that they had already secured permissions for, and a rather more functional local government).

The Della Valles gave up on Fiorentina over roughly similar obstacles to build a stadium.
              Last edited by ursus arctos; 06-08-2020, 17:57.

Comment

The NY Times ran a piece about the new Serie A president. Maybe he will have some ability to navigate this mess for the clubs, but I assume not given what you describe, UA. I have posted at various points during the past couple years that most of the leagues would seem to be headed toward problems if the leagues aren't competitive. If Juve continues to bring in stars, they will continue to attract international fans who buy shirts and watch the games but the league as whole will suffer. Maybe that's naive on my part and most people don't care if their team is fighting for second. But I would think the number one job for the new league president would need to be a more competitive league, which will then lead to better TV deals, more international money, and other things corporate tycoons like to discuss.

Comment

Sarri has just been sacked - the Champion's league is now an obsession for Juventus.

Comment

It was always a marriage of convenience that was going to fall at the first hurdle. He would have been gone if they had borked the scudetto.

Comment

Though why appoint someone whose style of football was the polar opposite of Allegri and then not give then the time and more importantly the players required to play his style of football? The title and a early exit from the knockout stages is pretty much par for the course, so Sarri can consider himself hard done by.

Comment

They just gave the job to Pirlo

It's a reality show that plays football

Comment

I'm sure there is a logic to that appointment, but I cannot fathom it.
                          I would imagine Inter's odd for next season have just shortened.

Comment

He was hired as Juve's under-23 manager just last week. That's the kind of progress that makes me think he'll be a roaring success next season.

Comment

Even the winners in football these days can no longer be happy. What a crap thought process that must be that the league title is no longer enough for a team.

Comment

It's not just that Juve are the most recent winners, but they are a team that has won 9 years in a row. The team looked very old yesterday. They've taken on names that can win in Serie A when the group is put together, but a lot of those guys I wouldn't want on a team I follow. Of course, the side showing its age in Europe leads me to believe they will dump players and turn around and vacuum up young talent from around the league. I've been posting for weeks that I expect Juve to go after Zaniolo, who is Roma's brightest star. I'm sure Atalanta fans and Lazio fans will say the same thing about their young talent.
                                Last edited by danielmak; 08-08-2020, 22:01.

Comment

Just leave conte in place, so he can add lingard, smalling, and jones, to Young, sanchez and lukaku so they can win Serie A with a team to gladden Dalliance's heart.

In fairness, Sanchez and lukaku are the two most implausible parts of that story and they've already happened.

Comment

Pirlo had been appointed U23 coach on July 30 so the warning was already there, I guess.

Pirlo v Gattuso as coaches is quite amusing.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-08-2020, 11:53.

Comment

Working...
                                    X