CONCACAF 2022 qualifying shakeup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CONCACAF 2022 qualifying shakeup

CONCACAF has really shaken things up with their World Cup qualification process.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/fifa-ra...01dne552cap4kk

The Hexagonal, previously the final round of a longer qualification process, will begin in September 2020, with the six highest-ranked Concacaf teams in the post-June 2020 FIFA rankings taking part. The top three teams from round-robin play will qualify for Qatar.

Simultaneously, competition between the 7-35 ranked members of Concacaf will begin with a group stage (comprised of five groups of four teams and three groups of three). The eight group winners will move into a knockout stage. Those teams will play two-legged contests in the quarterfinals, semifinals and final with the winner of that tournament taking on the fourth-place finisher from the Hex for the right to take part in the intercontinential playoff for Concacaf's potential fourth World Cup slot.
    So, for the top teams, there is almost no room for error right from the beginning. On the other hand, a team like Panama, who is currently outside of the top-6 FIFA ranked CONCACAF teams, has to go through group play and then knockout games just to have the chance to play for a qualifying spot. They'll be playing mostly minnows, but on the other hand...do we want to send a team to the playoff with them having never faced the top teams in their own region? It's so strange.

Seems like their primary objective was to keep the Hex. I'm happy with that.

Comment

I kind of see the thinking behind this. However I hope it doesn't lead to a scramble to arrange friendlies to artificially pump up FIFA rankings by June 2020 because that system is pretty volatile, especially down in the 30-50 range.

Comment

Other than the US missing out on WC 2018 I was generally good with the previous system. I think it was a little long but I can't say that this new system has me very excited. It's a copycat business and I think CONCACAF is basically looking to mirror what happened with the Nations League in terms of providing some minnows with a shot. My feeling would be: minnows in 2 legs for Round 1, then group play with first place finishers from each group entering a hex. That would at least remove some of the earlier rounds for most sides other than the minnows.

Comment

It will be very tough on the 7-35 teams if the intercontinental play-off is against a strong South American side because it will mean they are on a mission with no winnable outcome whereas 3rd in the hex might have been doable.

OTOH it might be NZ.

Comment

Working...
          X