Painting the town red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting the town red

Manchester United have arrived in Perth for a couple of friendlies.

The place has gone troppo.

The ABC had a helicopter or drone tracking the team bus from the airport to the team hotel; a clearly low key muckabout between Jesse Lingard and Paul Pogba has been blown up into a "clash" and all manner of people who haven't been seen with cooee of a Perth Glory game all year are now football experts.

A training session is sold out. A TRAINING SESSION. To be fair it's raising a decent wedge for charity, so whatever.

Leeds arrive soon and my main interest is to see if it kicks off at "friendly".

With so many Poms here in Perth, when the Leeds fixture was announced my first reaction was "the police better be prepared for this one".

When I received the Glory pre-sale email, it brought home just how much of a gravy train this is. The cheapest ticket for an adult was $70.29 and kids started at $49.90. That’s a lot of money sitting up the top tier to see a mid-ranking EPL team and to cap it off, Mourinho was in charge when that email got sent. It was an easy decision to stay at home. And who would have thought they’re actually worse now.

Last year when Chelsea came to town, they were practically giving the tickets away for free.

Comment

Are Man Utd still the biggest English draw in Australia?

Comment

Liverpool, I would think.

Comment

Liverpool visited Melbourne (and possibly Sydney as well) a couple of years ago and it too was huge. The Big Red Clubs are still very popular in Australia.

Comment

We went and saw Arsenal playing Sydney FC, a couple of years ago I think (whenever Lacazette joined as it was his debut). Wenger played about six vets, the rest youngsters he was assessing, and made eleven subs at half time. We only went because we got free tickets from someone. I don’t recall a big hoo-haa for their visit but maybe Arsenal’s drawcard era is behind them.

Comment

Just caught the fag-end of the Man Utd - Leeds game & I'm sure i've just seen a Man Utd flag saying "Free Tommy Robinson". Please tell me I've got it wrong.

Comment

Working...
              X