Hollerbach's Knackwurst - Bundesliga 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hollerbach's Knackwurst - Bundesliga 2019/20

So, Bayern start at home against Hertha; Dortmund at home against Augsburg.

From a personal point of view, I'm delighted to see that Bayern his Köln during the Oktoberfest. The past, I think, four times Köln has played at Bayern during the Wies'n, they have been unbeaten.

And here's my traditionally criminally unprescient prediction for the final table:

1. Dortmund
    2. Bayern
    3. Leverkusen
    4. Mönchengladbach
    5. RB Leipzig
    6. Hertha BSC
    7. Schalke
    8. Wolfsburg
    9. Frankfurt
    10. Werder
    11. Hoffenheim
    12. Mainz
    13. Freiburg
    14. Köln
    15. Union Berlin
    16. Augsburg
    17. Düsseldorf
    18. Paderborn

Comment

Union - RB Leipzig combines Ostalgie with a clash between radically different concepts of what a football club is.

Comment

G-Man, please redact your post to put Frankfurt in the relegation spots again. Come on, man, you promised!

Comment

Ha, I did promise. But I hope for a counter-jinx, and have your lot finish below mine.

Talking of my lot; they have a pretty awful start to the season. I can see a scenario where they'll be bottom of the table with the one point they get at Oktoberfest Bayern: Wolfsburg (A), Dortmund (H), Freiburg (A, where they always lose), Gladbach (H), Bayern (A), Hertha (H), Schalke (A). Then Paderborn, against Köln lost twice last season. By then their self-confidence might be shot, and have another "Hinrunde" like two years ago... At least that will dampen the usually exaggerated expectations.

Dortmund aren't happy either: they have away games after each of the CL group games; Bayern have home games (one of them against Dortmund).

Comment

Did I spot that Hertha are about to get some big foreign investment?

Comment

Not sure whether Mats Hummels' ₤33 million return to Dortmund is good business. We shall see.

At SpVgg Unterhaching, Manny Schwabl (the president) has had the bright idea of floating us on the stock market. I can't see that ending well.

Comment

Hertha's investment is domestic, from "controversial entrepreneur" Lars Windhorst.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_Windhorst
                Last edited by ursus arctos; 29-06-2019, 13:30.

Comment

In true Hertha form, it'll probably turn out to be short-term stroke of genius and a long-term a disaster.

As for Hummels: he topped kicker's rankings for central defenders for the second half of last season. He can't be worse than what Dortmund have at present.

Comment

Given the reported state of Windhorst's finances, that long-term may not be that long.

Comment

How is Mainz for travel?

Looking at a hockey double header and the football option on the Saturday is Mainz v Koln. I've done Frankfurt and Stuttgart but Mainz isn't served by trams or the s-bahn

Comment

For a second, I thought that you meant ice hockey and wondered when they got a professional team.

The stadium is out of town and still surrounded by farmland, but it is served by buses on matchdays. There is a a tram/bus shuttle service from the Hauptbahnhof on matchdays. Mainz is a very pleasant town, too. I recommend the Gutenberg Museum.

Comment

When I went two years ago they had recently extended one of the tram routes and there's a stop near the stadium, but it wasn't built for the football and trams weren't stopping there before and after the game. 'Buses run frequently (leaving as soon as they fill up) from outside the main railway station. However, you'll need to wait until nearer the time for the date of the match to be confirmed. It could be on the Friday or the Sunday as well as Saturday.

Comment

Bayern have sold out all of their home matches, as well as their entire allocation for each of their away games.

Comment

In the spirit of cheeting imp up with my Einrtacht predictions, I think that Frankfurt's odds to do well are declining. After losing Jovic to Real, but losing Haller to West Ham (who have landed a real star) is a disaster.That's a superb striking pair gone.

Hoffenheim will also facechallenges. Schulz leaving for Dortmund was tough, but rising star Joelton looks bound for Newcastle. That's two of their best player, plus Demirbay (to Leverkusen) and the twat-faced coach, gone in a swoop. Nelson is also returning from loan to Arsebnal

Comment

They do now have the best part of €90 million to salve the pain - around ten times more than their transfer kitty in previous seasons (and that will go up another 30-40m if they sell Rebic, I imagine). It was always clear those two would be leaving sooner rather than later. Jovic should thrive with good coaching and through being surrounded by world class players. Haller was unbelievably slow in his first season, but was magnificent last. He's still not built for speed, though, and you really need a particular system to make him effective - he's a classic English-style striker in a way, but that's not really in the West Ham tradition of playing the ball on the floor. Mind you, I don't know if West ham still sticks to any kind of tradition any more. So Haller could be a flop in the Premier League through deficient pace and too much physical attention from defenders. Perhaps we can buy him back in a year for €6 million (what Eintracht paid Utrecht two years ago).

Comment

Money in the kitty is, of course, quite useful. And easy to piss away on unwise purchases. I think Eintracht could do well by spending most of that money on buying Simon Terodde from Köln, and the rest on Jannes Horn and Frank Sorensen.

Comment

The transfer rumours start getting really prolific when a team suddenly has some cash. One floated this week was that the Boateng brothers will be reunited at Eintracht. Another had spotted Andre Schürrle in Frankfurt, prompting strong denials from his agent. Hatem Ben Arfa's also in the picture, along with Maximilian Philipp of Dortmund, apparently, plus a possible return of Jesus Vallejo from Real Madrid (the centre-back who was great for us three years ago on loan, and who recently took out Luca Waldschmidt with a red card, studs-up tackle he only got yellow for in the U21 Euro final). It does the raise the question - when a frugal transfer policy has worked so well at picking up bargains and loan players for the past three years, is it worth splurging on bigger names just because we now have the cash? I suppose the gamble is that such players might elevate Eintracht from EL qualifiers to CL qualifiers.

Part of me would see CL qualification as a great achievement for a team that was 20 minutes away from relegation just three years ago. Another part of me doesn't want to be part of that world. I think I might feel the same if Lincoln went up to the Championship and were suddenly one potential season away from the Premier League. Too much space downwards for the inevitable fall. (Possibly related to a personal failing - a chronic lack of ambition.)

Comment

Yeah, I can understand that. I mean, if Köln were to suddenly challenge for Europe every season, I'd be very happy. If the transfer budget were bigger than this years 10 million euros, I'd be giddy. But I'm pretty happy with celebrating every season they survive relegation, and every season they are promoted again when they have failed to avoid the drop.

Comment

FWIW (less than the cover price in my experience), the Barcelona press is quite convinced that Kevin Prince is on his way to Eintracht.

Comment

Were we still living relatively nearby, I'd have been tempted to get down to Karlsruhe and bag a couple of those old seats. Can hardly believe they are actually starting work on the new stadium, they were talking about rebuilding the Wildparkstadion twenty years ago!

Comment

It doesn't get much more German than having the supporters remove them themselves and giving them a detailed list of the required tools

Comment

Here's a new Bundesliga record: of the 18 coaches starting the season, eight have no Bundesliga experience at all. Nine sides begin the season with new coaches.

By my count, only three sides have had the same coach for more than one Bundesliga season: Freiburg, Augsburg and Werder (Funkel has led Düsseldorf for a few yrears, but through only one Bundesliga campaign so far).

The number of foreign coaches and those promoted from youth teams or assistant gigs would suggest that the clubs don't trust the old coaches anymore. Labbadia is still unemployed, despite having done great work at Wolfsburg, and Hecking got relegated to the 2. Bundesliga. I suppose people like Julian Nagelsmann and Florian Kohfeldt have set the scene for the idea that promoting an assistant can work out well, while people like Adolf Hütter and before him Peter Stöger have (re-)confirmed that getting coaches from Switzerland and Austria can bring success.

Comment

G-Man, you want a Sonderheft this year? Sorry I failed to follow through on sending you more 11 Freunde. One of those things where the pile got so big and out of date that I ended up throwing them out instead...

Comment

imp, thanks for the offer. I'm looking to get a digital version of it, if kicker sells them individually.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X