X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You make Eeyore look like a wild-eyed optimist

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

Same story this week. 2-2 draw at Freiburg. I get that Freiburg are in second (and Dortmund now in 7th) but this is a match that should be full points to Dortmund. There is a five-way tie for the top spot but Bayern are ahead on GD. But I don't expect this scenario to last; Bayern will put away and that will be that. PSG probably has already won Ligue 1 and Juve will need a few more weeks for Inter to implode.
      I dunno. I'm still pulling for Leipzig (OK, you can fetch the tumbril and start oiling up the guillotine now.)

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        You make Eeyore look like a wild-eyed optimist
        Haha. I work with a guy who is a Stuttgart fan. He's obviously disappointed that they went down last year, but here is where some optimism comes in: He agreed that Bayern will win the league as they do 99% of the time and so I suggested it might be more exciting to win 2 Bundesliga than to finish mid-table in the Bundesliga. He thought about it for a second and disagreed.

Comment

As a Köln fan, I'm excited about mid-table finishes. Being in the 2. Bundesliga means there is a constant pressure to not being made fools of. Köln were made fools of a few times last season. This year, if we go down, we know the drill. But if we don't, there'll be great joy all around.

Comment

In the last 17 Bundesliga games, there has been only one home win. That is a quite spectacular stat.

Comment

Looks like Gladbach are going top. 4-0 up at half-time v Augsburg. I've seen them (Gladbach) twice on telly this season and they were terrible on both occasions.

Comment

They will go top with a win.

They were very bad against Leipzig and positively awful against Wolfsberger AC in the Europa League, but otherwise have been solid. The European result is looking more and more like an anomaly (Leipzig are genuinely good, unfortunately).

Comment

They will go top with a win.

They were very bad against Leipzig and positively awful against Wolfsberger AC in the Europa League, but otherwise have been solid. The European result is looking more and more like an anomaly (Leipzig are genuinely good, unfortunately).
                  Yep. Those were the games I saw.

Comment

It ends 5-1 to Gladbach

They haven't been top of the table this late in the season since 85-86

The stand opposite the cameras at Wolfsburg isore than half empty for Union's visit, which is strange.
                    Last edited by ursus arctos; 06-10-2019, 14:00.

Comment

Surely the league positions mean almost nothing yet (except in Paderborn's case.) I wonder what effect these international breaks have on perception? Only seven games over ten weeks makes for a distorted and kind of anti-climatic start to the season.

Comment

I see it as more of a comment on how long it has been since Glasbach were truly relevant, but yeah.

Comment

It ends 5-1 to Gladbach

They haven't been top of the table this late in the season since 85-86.
                          You sure about that? I thought there was a season in the last 5 where we were just pipped as Herbstmeister and eventually qualified for CL where we were trading places with Dortmund and Bayern til Xmas and after.

Comment

I can't remember where I got it, but according to Transfermarkt's historical tables, before this season Gladbach have been only top once this decade - after Week 3 of the 2011/12 season

Comment

Boy the Wolfsburg/Union game was a messy affair, not performances to go into the break with.

Comment

I get that the point is Gladbach's last time in the top spot but they certainly were very good when Lucien Favre was managing them (until they slipped and he was fired). I also remember a good run in the Europa League. None of that was title winning but they played some impressive football.

Comment

All true

Comment

In other news, for folks living in the US, I just read that ESPN+ has acquired Bundesliga rights starting next year. If they match what happens with Serie A (every single game), that will be a good change. Fox does a good job but more choices is always better (esp. since FS+ is sometimes an option for Bundesliga and the $15.99 per month is steep for a channel that is rarely HD).

Comment

That would be outstanding

Comment

The top nine are now within two points of each other, and Schalke can go top with a win at Hoffenheim tomorrow

Comment

I can recommend watching the highlights of last night's second division game between Erzgebirge Aue and FC Nürnberg, if you have five minutes.

Comment

The top nine are now within two points of each other, and Schalke can go top with a win at Hoffenheim tomorrow
                                            But of course, being Schalke, they didn't.

Bayern losing to Hoffenheim the other week and drawing against Augsburg on Saturday was highly amusing. And it looks like Süle will be out injured for a while.

Kovac raus!

Comment

Annual German sports weekender this weekend.

Karlsruher v Hannover should be a good game.

Comment

Bayern are rumoured to be sounding out Ralf Rangnick

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                                  Bayern are rumoured to be sounding out Ralf Rangnick
                                                  I think that's silly talk. Given my reputation as a tipster, it will probably happen. Rangnick against Rummenigge.

Kovac raus!

Comment

The most bizarre penalty was awarded in the 2. Bundesliga today. Warming up behind the goal, a Holstein Kiel substitute stopped a goal from going out. The penalty gave Bochum an equaliser, but Kiel went on to win 2-1.

A bizarre red card was given to Hannover goalie Ron-Robert Zieler. Trying to punch away the ball, as goalkeepers are wont to do, he connected with a Karlsruhe striker. Happily the red card came in injury time (which had already produced two goals) and didn't change the score.

Bizarre stuff also in Mainz, where the VAR alerted the ref to a clear Mainz handball in the penalty area. The ref went to look at it on the monitor and inexplicably decided to give no penalty. That would have given Köln the chance to make it 2-2; they went on to lose 3-1.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X