Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed! did ye ken him?

Comment

Used to work with him at BBC Monitoring in the early to mid-90s. Never knew about the Neues Deutschland thing, though. I read his BBC columns when he was going through the brain tumour. Did they get published as a book?

Comment

Yes, I've got it upstairs but can't remember the title offhand.

Lovely fella, no? I knew him at Aston when he had a huge mohican. No.1 crop for the year abroad, though.

Comment

Comment

That's the lad. Leeds fan. At the BBC we had not exactly a disagreement, but we weren't close. I did appreciate his honesty, though. I asked him if he was coming to my leaving drinks and he said, "Would love to, but I've got some paint drying at home that needs watching."

Comment

What's with the ridiculous pseudo-tie-dye home shirts Gladbach are wearing?

Comment

Awful, after last season’s classic late 70s homage, too

Comment

Very entertaining game between Dynamo Dresden and St Pauli.

The visitors raced into a 3-0 lead after only half an hour, but still managed to mess it up. Dresden got it back to 3-2 only to be reduced to 10 men with 5 mins to go after the ref consulted VAR for a bad foul. It all looked over but Dresden broke up the field a minute later, the St Pauli keeper went walkabout and it was 3-3. Cue mental scenes behind the goal from the Dresden faithful. St Pauli will be kicking themselves for throwing this one away.

Comment

I did worry for Union after the display against Leipzig, but they'll definitely be OK based on this performance.

Comment

Just seen this result and brief highlights. Great win for Union.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                        I did worry for Union after the display against Leipzig, but they'll definitely be OK based on this performance.
                        Contrasting feelings about Hertha. 2-2 away to Bayern on opening night was a good result, but they've had two 3-0 defeats since.

Comment

Dortmund can't lose these games if they plan to compete for the title. But kudos to Union; they fully deserved this win. They were solid at the back, kept pushing Dortmund out wide, and took their chances.

Comment

Dortmund sometimes seem to freeze when they play smaller clubs, they got done by Darmstadt a couple of years back.

Comment

Time to start finalising my plans for my upcoming trip to Germany at the end of October.

The Mainz v Cologne game I was looking at has been moved to the Friday night. That clashes with Adler Mannheim v Straubing Tigers (ice hockey) so is a no go. Realistically it leaves 2 options:

Freiburg v Leipzig in the Bundesliga or Karlsruhe v Hannover in Bundesliga 2 on October 26th.

When do Freiburg normally release tickets for general sale? I know that they've got the smallest ground in the top flight and that tickets against Leipzig may not be in abundance. I'd be confident of getting 2 tickets if I knew when they went on sale, but there's nothing on their website to indicate when thats likely to be.

Comment

St Pauli have just beaten Hamburg at home for the first time since 1960, and for the first time ever in the "professional era".

Seeing as it's something I've been desperately waiting for for thirty years, it's quite a lucky coincidence I happened to look at tonights fixtures before putting Only Connect on.

Comment

Woo hoo!

BSF, my suggestion would be to email the club explaining your situation. English is fine, and I'm pretty sure that they will accommodate you.

Comment

Ended up with tickets for Karlsruher SC v Hannover.

Comment

Originally posted by Alderman Barnes View Post
                                      St Pauli have just beaten Hamburg at home for the first time since 1960, and for the first time ever in the "professional era".
                                      Well, I was at the Volksparkstadion when St Pauli beat HSV in their first Bundesliga derby in September 1977. It was all very professional by then. St Pauli also beat HSV in their last Bundesliga season, in 2010/11, also away.

Comment

Sorry G, I meant at the Millerntor, but was too excited to word it properly.

Comment

Ah, yes. Well, it gave me a chance to mention that I was at the1977 game..

Comment

Leverkusen going through Union like a hot knife through butter at the moment.

2-0 after 25 minutes with another one denied by VAR for an interfering with play offside.

Comment

What a strange weekend: No home wins, and eight of the nine Bundesliga matches were away wins. The only homeside to avoid defeat was Dortmund, who can't have been too happy with their draw against Werder.

Köln have manage for the second weekend running to have a defender sent off at 0-1 and going on to lose 0-4

Comment

So, presumably Hoffenheim would have beaten Spurs by a minimum of six or seven, given that they have just beaten Bayern 2-1 in Munich.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                  Dortmund sometimes seem to freeze when they play smaller clubs, they got done by Darmstadt a couple of years back.
                                                  Same story this week. 2-2 draw at Freiburg. I get that Freiburg are in second (and Dortmund now in 7th) but this is a match that should be full points to Dortmund. There is a five-way tie for the top spot but Bayern are ahead on GD. But I don't expect this scenario to last; Bayern will put away and that will be that. PSG probably has already won Ligue 1 and Juve will need a few more weeks for Inter to implode.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X