No announcement yet.

King Julien goes to the Pyramids - African Nations Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, four goals in the last six games isn't exactly a frenzied goal fiesta.

Comment

The third-placed teams qualifying format doesn't help either. Everyone knows a win and a draw is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
        So, um, Mo Salah and others in the Egypt squad defending a serial sexual harasser because he is a useful teammate, then...?
        Why did he go all Angelica Huston on us? That is really super disappointing.

Comment

Understand and agree completely but do you think his best response should have been condemnation or "no comment"?

Comment

No need to get involved in public condemnation. Just don't wind up sounding like the equivalent of a Boris Johnson supporter telling us that whatever violence happens in the privacy of the family home is just fine.

This is very sad.

Comment

In some ways, Salah is in a slightly tricky political spot here. He is forced by his fame to take a position on this. Either he supports his teammate publicly, he comdems him, or he says 'no comment'. But Salah saying 'no comment' rather than supporting, particularly when other teammates are going public to back Warda, effectively means condemning by refusing to be part of that stance. It's become a binary.
              On the other hand, a sexual harassment allegation is making life awkward for a tangentially associated male? Well, cry me a f*cking river.

Then we get to what Salah tweeted, the very equivocal "'no' means 'no' ... [but] we need to believe in second chances". That really is Et tu, Mo? time. Because this is so typical of what happens, isn't it? The man involved gets a slap on the wrist and is allowed to continue his life/career as if nothing actually happened. There are no consequences for his misbehaviour.
              And then it comes out that this isn't the first time anyway [of course]. That Warda is already on to his second, third, whatever chance. Again, that is so typical. Chances are so often unlimited on this sort of behaviour. Salah's good words a few months ago suddenly seem very platitudinous. If you can't walk the walk when it's slightly discomforting to you to do so, then what you talk is completely irrelevant.
              Last edited by Janik; 30-06-2019, 23:55.

Comment

#MoToo

Comment

Madagascar keep going ... beginning to wish I'd put some money on them now!

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                    Madagascar keep going ... beginning to wish I'd put some money on them now!
                    I saw them beat Nigeria, I was really impressed with their energy levels and pressing. Their back Four was pretty well organised and their defenders good in 1v1 situations. Nothing special going forward, but will beat any of the big teams who underestimate them.

Comment

Morocco manage to crash out against Benin. Senegal do enough to overcome Uganda. No country is looking really good so far. Maybe this is Algeria's year.

Comment

Well, that was a very entertaining 3-2.

Comment

Tau's free kick wonderfully kept out by El Shenawy.

Comment

It's starting to look like a North African massacre.

Comment

Bloody hell, I thought Benin sprung the shock of the tournament. Bafana bundling out the hosts, who have Lionel Messi in their side trumps that, I think. Even if SA have a better histrical record than Benin, they've been in the doldrums for so long, and so lucky to get past the group stage.

Comment

If Madagascar don't keep going I'm behind Senegal now.

Comment

Madagascar take the lead on a diving header with ten minutes to go in Alexandria

Comment

DRC equalise with a bullet header from a corner at the death.

Comment

Madagascar win on penalties as the DRC miss the goal twice

Comment

Cote d'Ivoire advance on a late goal in a match where Mali had the better chances overall.

Comment

Cracking own goal to pull Ghana level in injury time against Tunisia.

Comment

Tunisia take their penalties very well, and put Ghana out, setting up a tie with Madagascar.

Comment

Senegal through, but Sadio Mane has two goals ruled out by VAR for offside. I have a horrible feeling we'll hear that a few times next season in the Premier League ...

Comment

Proper VAR moment there. South African goal initially chalked off for offside, but the replay showed that the ball came off a Nigerian defender so it couldn't have been offside. Game now level, thanks to VAR.

Comment

Preposterous defending costs South Africa dearly in the final minute before injury time; Ekong scores the 2-1.

Comment

Get in. Our name is on the cup.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X