Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    If Madagascar don't keep going I'm behind Senegal now.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Bloody hell, I thought Benin sprung the shock of the tournament. Bafana bundling out the hosts, who have Lionel Messi in their side trumps that, I think. Even if SA have a better histrical record than Benin, they've been in the doldrums for so long, and so lucky to get past the group stage.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    It's starting to look like a North African massacre.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Tau's free kick wonderfully kept out by El Shenawy.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Well, that was a very entertaining 3-2.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Morocco manage to crash out against Benin. Senegal do enough to overcome Uganda. No country is looking really good so far. Maybe this is Algeria's year.

Leave a comment:

• Tactical Genius
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Madagascar keep going ... beginning to wish I'd put some money on them now!
    I saw them beat Nigeria, I was really impressed with their energy levels and pressing. Their back Four was pretty well organised and their defenders good in 1v1 situations. Nothing special going forward, but will beat any of the big teams who underestimate them.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Madagascar keep going ... beginning to wish I'd put some money on them now!

Leave a comment:

• Mumpo
    replied
    #MoToo

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    In some ways, Salah is in a slightly tricky political spot here. He is forced by his fame to take a position on this. Either he supports his teammate publicly, he comdems him, or he says 'no comment'. But Salah saying 'no comment' rather than supporting, particularly when other teammates are going public to back Warda, effectively means condemning by refusing to be part of that stance. It's become a binary.
    On the other hand, a sexual harassment allegation is making life awkward for a tangentially associated male? Well, cry me a f*cking river.

Then we get to what Salah tweeted, the very equivocal "'no' means 'no' ... [but] we need to believe in second chances". That really is Et tu, Mo? time. Because this is so typical of what happens, isn't it? The man involved gets a slap on the wrist and is allowed to continue his life/career as if nothing actually happened. There are no consequences for his misbehaviour.
    And then it comes out that this isn't the first time anyway [of course]. That Warda is already on to his second, third, whatever chance. Again, that is so typical. Chances are so often unlimited on this sort of behaviour. Salah's good words a few months ago suddenly seem very platitudinous. If you can't walk the walk when it's slightly discomforting to you to do so, then what you talk is completely irrelevant.
    Last edited by Janik; 30-06-2019, 23:55.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    No need to get involved in public condemnation. Just don't wind up sounding like the equivalent of a Boris Johnson supporter telling us that whatever violence happens in the privacy of the family home is just fine.

This is very sad.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Understand and agree completely but do you think his best response should have been condemnation or "no comment"?

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by Janik View Post
    So, um, Mo Salah and others in the Egypt squad defending a serial sexual harasser because he is a useful teammate, then...?
    Why did he go all Angelica Huston on us? That is really super disappointing.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    The third-placed teams qualifying format doesn't help either. Everyone knows a win and a draw is enough.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Yeah, four goals in the last six games isn't exactly a frenzied goal fiesta.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    It has been quite disappointing.

The heat hasn't helped.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Christ's sake, three matches in the AfCON today - and not one of them produced a goal. I'm fast losing faith in this tournament.

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    A flowering shrub, apparently:

http://twitter.com/davidcsimon/status/906329598412988416/photo/1
    Last edited by Diable Rouge; 29-06-2019, 15:54.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    What the f*** is a Waratah?

Leave a comment:

• Hot Orange
    replied
    Working together?

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    To be fair, Australia is full of threatening, impressive animal life that you could name a team after. Can you imagine England trying the same? The Sheep, The Diseased Pigeons, The Annoying Houseflies...
    Most animal-related deaths in Australia are caused by horses and cows.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    So, um, Mo Salah and others in the Egypt squad defending a serial sexual harasser because he is a useful teammate, then...?

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    It's likely that Madagascar will now qualify for the knockouts - let's hope so.

Meanwhile, the Kenya/Tanzania encounter at last gave us the first truly competitive game at this tournament.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Madagascar win! 1-0 against Burundi! Historic first win in an international finals. Fantastic late free kick and vuvuzela cacopohony here (2 mins highlights)...

https://youtu.be/biU8ixg-B2c

Now that they are indeed making an impact and are likely to make the last 16 I feel the need to correct an earlier error of mine - they are called the Barea, which is a type of Zebu, not the Zebus as I'd said earlier.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Just remembered reaffirmed about how Welsh Premier League player Alec Mimidu (club team: Cefn Druids) is at the AFCON with Zimbabwe.

https://clwbpeldroed.org/2019/06/20/...-mudimu-afcon/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X