• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Hi Sporting,

As a majority of Nigerian footballers are from the West (predominately Yoruba) and East (predominately Ibo) the religious majority has always been Christian.

There have been a large number of Muslims who have represented such as:

Muda Lawal
    Raschid Yekinni
    Mr Garba Lawal

And going by the names, there are a couple of Muslims in the current squad:

Abdullahi Shehu
    Jamilu Collins
    Ahmed Musa

Religious, no as a number of the Yoruba footballers are Christian and Muslim.
    Ethnic, outside of the obvious sectarian nutters it is mainly the subject of bar room discussions of inter-tribal banter when we inevitably crash out against Cameroon and Ghana. It was a bigger deal 20-30 years ago where there were alot of players with similar abilities and the competition for places were much fiercer but even then, allegations of players/agents/politicians bribing the manager to get into the team were taken more seriously.

It is no more different than when England team and the suspicion that playing for a BRC (or Spurs) gets you in ahead of better players at smaller teams.
    Thanks. I know a lot more now.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    [img]https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cp..._633925858.jpg[/img]

Maybe it's written on the other side. I must say it's a very strange looking trophy. I like it a lot. The European championship trophy looks like something you'd keep granny in if she didn't want to wind up underground.

Leave a comment:

• Tactical Genius
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    TG, maybe you're the best person to answer this: what's the religious/ethnic distribution of the Nigeria squad
    Hi Sporting,

As a majority of Nigerian footballers are from the West (predominately Yoruba) and East (predominately Ibo) the religious majority has always been Christian.

There have been a large number of Muslims who have represented such as:

Muda Lawal
    Raschid Yekinni
    Mr Garba Lawal

And going by the names, there are a couple of Muslims in the current squad:

Abdullahi Shehu
    Jamilu Collins
    Ahmed Musa

have there been/are there any subsequent tensions resulting?
    Religious, no as a number of the Yoruba footballers are Christian and Muslim.
    Ethnic, outside of the obvious sectarian nutters it is mainly the subject of bar room discussions of inter-tribal banter when we inevitably crash out against Cameroon and Ghana. It was a bigger deal 20-30 years ago where there were alot of players with similar abilities and the competition for places were much fiercer but even then, allegations of players/agents/politicians bribing the manager to get into the team were taken more seriously.

It is no more different than when England team and the suspicion that playing for a BRC (or Spurs) gets you in ahead of better players at smaller teams.

Leave a comment:

• Tactical Genius
    replied
    Nah, just the normal bipolar expectations or otherwise of a footie fan!
    That too lol.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    TG, maybe you're the best person to answer this: what's the religious/ethnic distribution of the Nigeria squad and have there been/are there any subsequent tensions resulting?

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Nah, just the normal bipolar expectations or otherwise of a footie fan!

Leave a comment:

• Tactical Genius
    replied

I asked because although I suspected Nigeria he went from name on the trophy to can't see them winning it!

Make yer mind up, TG!
    Fair point. I was trying to do modesty which I am clearly useless at.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    TG is of Nigerian heritage and has been bigging up the Super Eagles on here for decades.

His work on behalf of Jay Jay Okocha is particularly legendary.
    I asked because although I suspected Nigeria he went from name on the trophy to can't see them winning it!

Make yer mind up, TG!

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    I'm sad Madagascar are out but what a run. Best debutant performance at a previously well-established major finals for some time. (I'll let DG and Ray squabble over Non Iron or Wales in '58 before Sam, cantagalo or ursus or someone comes in and says Peru won the Copa America in 75 on their first ever punt at it).
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 12-07-2019, 13:11.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    TG is of Nigerian heritage and has been bigging up the Super Eagles on here for decades.

His work on behalf of Jay Jay Okocha is particularly legendary.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
    Get in. Our name is on the cup.
    Who is "our"?

Leave a comment:

• Tactical Genius
    replied
    I can't see Nigeria winning it. They are a solid, but pretty unspectacular and the over-reliance on the goal scoring of Ighalo is worrying

Leave a comment:

• Tactical Genius
    replied
    South Africa was easy work
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHbjggC1cTU Some footage of Kanu dancing (ladies look away 6-10 seconds)

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Algeria were ruthless with the penalties, except for the last one which hit the post. Cote d'Ivoire returned the favor.

Madagascar's fairy tale ended in the second half of their quarter final, when Tunisia ran out to a 3-0 victory.

Two North-African teams advance to the semis, to meet two West-African teams. I'd rank Algeria as favorites, closely followed by Nigeria. It's hard to cal that one, since both countries look really good. If their semi goes all the way to penalties, Senegal might edge the final by being better rested; I think their squad is substantially better than Tunisia's*.

Whatever happens from here on out, the tournament has been a blast, as it so often has been.

*quarter final blow-out or not, I haven't forgotten that in the group phase they didn't even manage to beat Mauritania.
    Last edited by Wouter D; 11-07-2019, 21:53.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Algeria waste a penalty and a number of solid chances and are pegged back by Cote d'Ivoire.

1-1 with 20 minutes to go.

Leave a comment:

• Tactical Genius
    replied
    Get in. Our name is on the cup.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Preposterous defending costs South Africa dearly in the final minute before injury time; Ekong scores the 2-1.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Proper VAR moment there. South African goal initially chalked off for offside, but the replay showed that the ball came off a Nigerian defender so it couldn't have been offside. Game now level, thanks to VAR.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Senegal through, but Sadio Mane has two goals ruled out by VAR for offside. I have a horrible feeling we'll hear that a few times next season in the Premier League ...

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Tunisia take their penalties very well, and put Ghana out, setting up a tie with Madagascar.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Cracking own goal to pull Ghana level in injury time against Tunisia.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Cote d'Ivoire advance on a late goal in a match where Mali had the better chances overall.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Madagascar win on penalties as the DRC miss the goal twice

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    DRC equalise with a bullet header from a corner at the death.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Madagascar take the lead on a diving header with ten minutes to go in Alexandria

Leave a comment:

Working...
X