King Julien goes to the Pyramids - African Nations Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

King Julien goes to the Pyramids - African Nations Cup 2019

This kicks off on Friday, in Egypt after all (it had been meant to be in Cameroon, but the CAF decided their preparations weren’t enough). The hosts will probably be favourites, with Mo Salah the poster boy, but I’m expecting some good football and possibly a few upsets, possibly even from debutants Madagascar, who could be to this tournament what Ireland were to Euro 88.

Checked on Paddy Power and Egypt and Senegal start as joint favourites. However, if they both top their groups there won't be a Sadio v Mo meet-up in the final as they'd be on the same side of the draw. There's probably on that basis a good each-way bet predicting the finalist from the other half.

Comment

Is this viewable in the UK at all? I've not seen it being advertised anywhere.

Comment

Yes, on Eurosport.

Egypt have just taken the lead against Zimbabwe. Deserved, but they haven’t had it all their own way and might have found themselves in trouble but for Zimbabwe’s lack of quality.

Comment

Zimbabwe's substitute keeper Elvis Chipezeze has a name that Britain's tabloid sub-eds would salivate over. Mind you this is a player from a squad where other players are named Marvelous, Knowledge, Talent and Divine.
          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 22-06-2019, 08:12.

Comment

My favourites Madagascar kick off later tonight against Guinea, the Elephants. Madagascar, by the way, are the Zebu, a type of cow.

In action today before those two are the Leopards, the Cranes, the Super Eagles and the Swallows.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              My favourites Madagascar kick off later tonight against Guinea, the Elephants. Madagascar, by the way, are the Zebu, a type of cow.

In action today before those two are the Leopards, the Cranes, the Super Eagles and the Swallows.
              Why are African countries given (or give themselves, I honestly don't know) nicknames and countries from other continents not?
              Last edited by Sporting; 22-06-2019, 12:14.

Comment

They are self generated and I have always thought that they have arisen out of a combination of the success of the Indomitable Lions in 1990 and European appetite for African exoticism.

It isn't only Africans. Italy, France and Argentina have had their colour-based monikers for yonks, as have the Antipodean teams (reflecting a tradition for every national team that is likely grounded in rugby). Even Spain are trying to make la Furia Roja a thing.

Comment

The Australian women's football team are called the Matildas. I love that.

Comment

The Aussies take this very seriously

Comment

To be fair, Australia is full of threatening, impressive animal life that you could name a team after. Can you imagine England trying the same? The Sheep, The Diseased Pigeons, The Annoying Houseflies...

Comment

That's true, but it is equally true that they don't overly rely on that particular source (as the list makes clear)

Comment

Hence we tend to go with the Three Lions, or Lionesses?

Uganda take the lead against the Congo through Kaddu - and should be at least a couple ahead by now. However, despite the omnipresent vuvuzelas (good band name), all I can see are hundreds of empty seats.

Comment

Madagascar were ahead, and ended up with a 2-2 draw, in a game notable for some terrible attempts at setting offside traps

https://youtu.be/ZMSTjV099ig

Comment

Mrs Thistle just found Tunisia v Angola on Eurosport. Just seen Angola equalise.

Comment

Just remembered reaffirmed about how Welsh Premier League player Alec Mimidu (club team: Cefn Druids) is at the AFCON with Zimbabwe.

https://clwbpeldroed.org/2019/06/20/...-mudimu-afcon/

Comment

Madagascar win! 1-0 against Burundi! Historic first win in an international finals. Fantastic late free kick and vuvuzela cacopohony here (2 mins highlights)...

https://youtu.be/biU8ixg-B2c

Now that they are indeed making an impact and are likely to make the last 16 I feel the need to correct an earlier error of mine - they are called the Barea, which is a type of Zebu, not the Zebus as I'd said earlier.

Comment

It's likely that Madagascar will now qualify for the knockouts - let's hope so.

Meanwhile, the Kenya/Tanzania encounter at last gave us the first truly competitive game at this tournament.

Comment

So, um, Mo Salah and others in the Egypt squad defending a serial sexual harasser because he is a useful teammate, then...?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                        To be fair, Australia is full of threatening, impressive animal life that you could name a team after. Can you imagine England trying the same? The Sheep, The Diseased Pigeons, The Annoying Houseflies...
                                        Most animal-related deaths in Australia are caused by horses and cows.

Comment

Working together?

Comment

What the f*** is a Waratah?

Comment

A flowering shrub, apparently:

http://twitter.com/davidcsimon/status/906329598412988416/photo/1
                                              Last edited by Diable Rouge; 29-06-2019, 15:54.

Comment

Christ's sake, three matches in the AfCON today - and not one of them produced a goal. I'm fast losing faith in this tournament.

Comment

It has been quite disappointing.

The heat hasn't helped.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X