X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    How many PL managers have been bounced this season now? Poch, Emery, forgotten the Watford guy's name, ... is that it?
    So that's 2 Watford guys and Marco Silva along with Poch and Unai. 5 sackings before Christmas. It doesn't feel like a record but does anyone know what the record is?

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    The BBC win percentage show Moyes on 40% and Martinez on 38%.

Leave a comment:

• scratchmonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Sits View Post

It’s actually a tough call who’s been the least successful Everton manager post-Moyes. Koeman?
    Using win % as a metric for non-caretakers, it's Big Sam. Martinez actually has the best post-Kendall win %, better even than Moyes. Of course taken as a whole that obscures that both Martinez and Koeman (and Silva as well) had good starts that went to shit while Allardyce maintained a level of middling throughout his entire tenure.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Was that the year when everything was won by a Roberto?

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Wigan also got relegated the season they won the FA Cup and the reasons they got relegated were then being replicated at Everton. 5 home wins in his final season at Goodison.
    It’s actually a tough call who’s been the least successful Everton manager post-Moyes. Koeman?

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Bah, cross post.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    And got relegated, which at the time was put down purely to the paucity of the Wigan squad. I remember now though, they were a nice team to watch when everything clicked.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Wigan also got relegated the season they won the FA Cup and the reasons they got relegated were then being replicated at Everton. 5 home wins in his final season at Goodison.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    With Wigan, Martinez had won the FA Cup, and beaten Liverpool at Anfield. Both box ticks for a potential Everton manager.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 06-12-2019, 10:32.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I'd have forgotten Allardyce. I remember Martinez being considered the natural replacement for David Moyes by all the pundits. Who were wrong.

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    I'd forgotten Martinez too. And I'd only have got Allardyce because I always answer such questions with Hughes-Bruce-Pardew-Allardyce in the confidence that at least one would be right.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    I have literally no memory of Roberto Martinez managing Everton. I'm sure you are right, but I could have guessed names for hours and wouldn't have said him. Which is rather Satchmo's point, I think.

Leave a comment:

• Sean of the Shed
    replied
    For well over half that period it's been David Moyes, and since him Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce. All significant as they either previously were or since became international managers with big European teams, so don't be surprised to see Marco Silva being appointed Portugal manager after the Euros.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I think Liverpool and Man United are way out in front by any measure that matters. League trophies, European Cup trophy spans (winning it across four decades), etc. Periods of dominannce by Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Leeds, Forest, etc, are blips by comparison, despite seeming huge at the time.

Everton seem to be proof that former big 5 clubs don't always make comebacks. They ought to be in the Europa at least based on history in my lifetime, but throughout this century it seems they have been pants.

I'm not even sure that most of the neutrals who always knew the name of the Everton manager in 1970-1995 could have named him since 2000 or so.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 06-12-2019, 03:24.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by ale View Post
    Arsenal are still one of the three grand clubs of English football. Like the other two Man Utd & Liverpool there have been sustained periods of mediocrity in among the sustained periods of glory. What they lack compared to their rivals is any European trophy hauls. But they can be turned round as much as the other two once everything in place to become the leading club in English football again.
    Huh?

Everton, surely?

Leave a comment:

• nmrfox
    replied
    Marco Silva unsurprisingly sacked by Everton .

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

So his ex mother in law's greengrocery (Colin's excuse for turning down Chelsea years ago) is under new management by Aldi or Lidl?
    The latter, but Colin still has dreams of buying a stall on Barnsley market to sell non-EU cabbages.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Keep the cunt away from Barnsley. I'd prefer us to go down playing football than stay up playing Colin anti-football.
    So his ex mother in law's greengrocery (Colin's excuse for turning down Chelsea years ago) is under new management by Aldi or Lidl?

Leave a comment:

• andrew7610
    replied
    Causing a slightly smaller ripple than recent sackings, Gabriele Cioffi is no longer manager of Crawley Town.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Great analysis Cesar. Nailed it.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    That is classy.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    A very classy farewell from Emery ;

It has been an honour to be the Arsenal head coach.

To all the fans, I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for helping me to understand and feel the greatness of Arsenal. To all of you who have supported us from every corner of the globe, all of you who have come to the Emirates, all of you who have waited in the rain and cold just to greet me after a game. I want to tell all of you that I have worked with passion, with commitment and with effort.

I would have liked nothing more than to have achieved better results for you.

I also want to send a message of gratitude to all Arsenal employees for the way they have treated me. The greatness of Arsenal is in every director, executive, employee, assistant and volunteer.

In particular, I want to highlight Ivan Gazidis, who welcomed me to the club, and Raul Sanllehi, Edu and Vinai Venkatesham for their respect, companionship and help. Until the very last minute I have been treated with honour and honesty. And of course, I send my sincere gratitude to the Kroenke family, for their trust.

It has been a year and a half full of emotions, of great moments and some other more bitter ones, but not a single day has gone by without me stopping to think about how lucky I have been to work for this club with these players and their professional and personal qualities.

They have always honoured the shirt they wear. They deserve your support.

I had already experienced a lot in football, but I have enjoyed and learned a lot in England, in the Premier League, about respect for professionals and about the purity of football.

My best wishes always.

COYG

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Cesar Rodriguez
    Arsenal occupy a strange space in English football - I don't see it as an attractive job for an ambitious coach. Battling for 6th place, wouldn't it be better to do that at a club where thats considered overachieving? Any coach would jump at the chance to coach United regardless of league position or squad but I don't think Arsenal have that same cachet.

The guy Troopz on Arsenal TV said it well, "qualification for the next stage of the Europa was just a box checking exercise", doesn't seem like the football people hold sway at Arsenal.
    Wasn't that also true when Wenger took the job?

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Do Spurs and Arsenal fans, the London-based ones, live in the same areas or there some "borders"?

Leave a comment:

• ale
    replied
    Arsenal are still one of the three grand clubs of English football. Like the other two Man Utd & Liverpool there have been sustained periods of mediocrity in among the sustained periods of glory. What they lack compared to their rivals is any European trophy hauls. But they can be turned round as much as the other two once everything in place to become the leading club in English football again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X