Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
    Jack Ross gone too at Sunderland.
    Sunderland are 6th so that seems to be an over-reaction, unless he's "lost the dressing room/fans" or had a bust-up with the chairperson.

Barnsley's decision is understandable given results but unlikely to change their relegation trajectory, I'd have thought. This tier is too much for the club these days. A better coach is unlikely to materialize.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-10-2019, 19:15.

Comment

Daniel Stendel said all summer long that he wanted some experience in the team but all we bought was 'potential'. The average age of our goalkeeper and back four on Saturday was 20.5. In his post match interview Stendel said that we had played like a youth team (a really bad youth team he should have said) and then in the Sheffield Star yesterday said that we were not playing well enough to stay in the Championship. It appears that it was this thinly veiled criticism of the transfer policy, rather than results, that did for him.

There isn't a single Barnsley fan I know who is on the owners side in this. Daniel Stendel is hugely popular and fans were still singing his name towards the end of Saturday's shambles. We've sold anyone and everyone for a bit of profit. and replaced them with lottery tickets. Some might come good eventually - but it won't be this season.

Comment

The owners will presumably now allow his successor to buy experienced players, but the successor won't be in Stendel's class as a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          Sunderland are 6th so that seems to be an over-reaction, unless he's "lost the dressing room/fans" or had a bust-up with the chairperson.
          The tittle-tattle I've read is that it was timed to coincide with news coming out that a proposed takeover by some incredibly rich bods from Dell is about to fall through. Either a good day to bury bad news or a bad day to bury good news, I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Barnsley's decision is understandable given results but unlikely to change their relegation trajectory, I'd have thought. This tier is too much for the club these days. A better coach is unlikely to materialize.
            Ross seems to have lost the fans as soon as they dropped their first points of the season. Even when they beat Accrington 3-1, the Sunderland fans were begging him to go. Think some of them need to have a sit down and think what god given right do they have to win every game? That said, they've forked out £3-4m on players like Grigg and he doesn't appear to start. There was not one player I saw on Saturday that I genuinely feared might run the show for them and take the game away from City.

Comment

I got the impression that it wasn't so much the results, but the football was dire as well. One of those, when they're winning it's bearable but the first loss leads to the fans getting on the manager's back.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                There's a rumour Mark Hughes is being considered by Reading. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even the fake hoops.
                Jesus, talk about kicking a man while he’s down. Aren’t we suffering enough?

I can’t believe I’m actually writing this, but I’d sooner have Hughes than Gomes. At least he has achieved some success on occasion. Gomes has been terrible at Reading, but it’s exactly what his career stats suggested.

Comment

At Reading, Gomes is now gones.

Comment

Apparently Kia Joorabchian has already been "advising" Reading's board. Mark Bowen's already there, and you can lay money on Sparky gunning his motor in a southerly direction. Same old gang together again, how do they do it.

Comment

I wish I could find a link to it but listen to Danny Gabbidon on Elis James' Feast of Football podcast and his time with Mark Hughes at QPR. It explains everything so much about how Hughes works.

You'll never want him at your club after hearing that.

Comment

Was it this one, 54 minutes in?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p05gvfc3

Comment

It’s actually from around 44. Pretty damning stuff. Pulis on the other hand comes out of it well. Can we have him instead?

Comment

Kudos to Mark Bowen.

Got involved with Reading about this time last year as a consultant leading the recruitment of a new Director of Football.

After an extensive recruitment process he decides the best person for the job, is Mark Bowen, despite having no DoF experience.

After sacking Gomez last week, he leads the recruitment of a new manager.

After an extensive recruitment process, he decides the best person for the job is Mark Bowen, despite having no Managerial experience.

Comment

Well he must be good then, if he says so.

I have as much confidence as I did in Gomes.

Comment

He's following in the footsteps of his mentor, Mark Hughes.

Comment

Bowen has appointed Eddie Niedzwiecki as his assistant.

Niedzwiecki was previously at the club 30 years ago as assistant manager to Ian Porterfield.

This got me thinking, what it the longest gap between a person holding assistant manager positions at a club.

Obviously it didn't get me thinking that at all, it was just a bit odd.

Comment

Barnsley next manager odds:

https://www.thesackrace.com/teams/barnsley

Comment

That's a strange list of candidates. I'm not sure what Phil Parkinson is doing on there and I don't rate your chances of persuading Bilic to leave West Brom.

Who would be your choice?

Comment

I haven't any confidence that any would do well because of the constraints coming down from the board.

Comment

Hmmm, is it time for me to dust off this thread again?

Comment

Well I posted this on the Third division thread, but I suppose it should go here:

AFC Wimbledon has today reached an agreement to part company with first-team manager Wally Downes.

Although it was Sunday's today, not today's today.

Comment

Jim Bentley has finally given up the unequal struggle of keeping Morecambe in the league and looks like he's going to those UKIP bell ends down the road. I was surprised to see that this leaves a position where 4 of the 6 longest serving managers are in the Premier League.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                                Jim Bentley has finally given up the unequal struggle of keeping Morecambe in the league and looks like he's going to those UKIP bell ends down the road. I was surprised to see that this leaves a position where 4 of the 6 longest serving managers are in the Premier League.
                                                Eh?

Who?

Comment

Howe and Dyche are two of them.

Comment

Pochettino?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X