"Mister" Jesus comanda Flamengo, cara!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Mister" Jesus comanda Flamengo, cara!

My Portuguese is getting pretty rusty, my Brazilian Portuguese even worse, but hopefully the thread title makes some sense to cantagalo.

Just found out Jorge Jesus has taken the reigns at Flamengo. Not quite AS Roma, which he was strongly rumoured to be heading to in April. Or the unnamed big English club he was boasting wanted him in May. But Flamengo is a nice challenge and he can't do much worse than Paulo Bento at Cruzeiro.

I hope he's not too respectful to Brazil, JJ works best when he's at his most offensive. I've been on a youtube binge of Brazilian TV interviews with JJ and I get the impression he's already being too humble, describing Flamengo as a great on a par with Boca Juniors, Real Madrid and Liverpool. He was so good at Belenenses, Braga and Benfica because of his arrogance, which I imagine he needs to rediscover if he is to succeed. Sadly, I doubt he'll ever be the man he was after his time at Sporing, the attack by ultras at the Sporting training ground clearly affected him deeply.

Anyway, shall be keeping an eye on all things Campeonato Brasileira next season. And any excuse to share this video yet again:

https://youtu.be/F31oA10a99U

Sheu Han shouting "Oh Pa!" (Portuguese nice way of saying FFS) and then the final shout at Rui Costa is beautiful. The Tim Sherwood bit is so inconsequential.
    Starts
    16-06-2019
    Ends
    16-06-2019
    Last edited by steveeeeeeeee; 16-06-2019, 21:35.

Never knew you left Lisbon, steveeee? You may want to fix the calendar link.
    ​​​​​

Comment

Yeah, can't get rid of that calendar.

Left lisbon in 2012.

Comment

Ooh sorry, just seen this.

An interesting appointment, given the tiny number of European managers who've managed in Brazil.

He'll have the duration of the Copa América to work with the squad before the Brasileirão resumes on July 13th. He inherits a strong squad which has been quite expensively assembled. Flamengo are reaping the benefits of a period of austerity and having got their finances in order they expect to be making a serious challenge for their first title in 10 years.

His predecessor Abel Braga left the club having failed to meet their expectations. Although results were more than reasonable, he delivered some dour performances which didn't reflect the talent in the squad. I saw his final game against Athletico Paranaense and the crowd was screaming abuse at him even after they'd scored two added time goals to win 3-2. If JJ doesn't get it right he could suffer a repeat of his Sporting experience.

He will have a problem in managing expectations. Flamengo are still in the Libertadores, the Copa do Brasil and are in third position in the league and he'll need to win at least one of these. His biggest obstacle will be the juggernaut that is Palmeiras, the only club whose budget exceeds Flamengo and whose squad is markedly stronger. They have gone 32 games undefeated in the league since last year and under Scolari they are pretty awful to watch but are a ruthless winning machine.

It would be nice to think he would be given some time but that's not the way it works here unfortunately and I notice that his contract is only for a year.

Comment

Year contract is probably his get out clause, tbh. He did his year in Saudi, won the trophies he needed to win and got out.

JJ at Benfica is probably the most entertaining football I've ever watched. Not great, not bad either, but I used to love his desire to win a game rather than settle for a draw. Would be nice to see that fire back in him, but like I say, the assault at Sporting damaged him, he's not the same man he was.

Comment

Well, he certainly got off to a good start with a 6-1 win at home to Goiás.

Here's a good article by Tim Vickery on some foreign coaches (and a few Brazilians) who are trying to change the rather ugly face of Brazilian club football.

https://www.worldsoccer.com/features...mpression=true

Comment

His start at Flamengo has mirrored his start at Benfica. A dull 1-1 away draw followed by 6 goals at home. He's looking very much back to his old self in the youtube videos I've seen, which is great to see.

Comment

2 points clear at the top, 5 game winning streak, Gabigol fire, semis of the Libertadores and forgetting Kaká's name. Oh my god JJ!

https://youtu.be/i7dbggIN6MQ

Comment

They're currently by some distance the best team in Brazil. JJ has even managed to break Flamengo's Libertadores hoodoo and reach their first semi-final in 34 years. The most significant result was last week's comprehensive defeat of Palmeiras which did us all a favour by getting rid of Scolari (not that his replacement Mano Menezes is much better).

I'm even beginning to warm to Gabigol. He's certainly been ruthlessly efficient in putting away the numerous chances created by Arrascaeta, Bruno Henrique and Everton Ribeiro.

Comment

JJ is certainly a confident bloke, isn't he?

He's just said that not only would this Flamengo team easily win the Portuguese league but would also be a top 6 team in England. His assertion was mocked on social media by Richarlison, as you might expect from an ex-Fluminense player, but was also received with some scepticism by the Brazilian media.
                    Last edited by cantagalo; 11-09-2019, 07:25.

Comment

That's JJ. On social media there is a parody account called "JJ Bóçe" which basically collects his greatest moments whilst making fun of his many wiseguy quirks. Well worth checking out.

Thing is, he is a very good manager, he hasn't been sacked by a club since 2005 and it's great to see him being arrogant again. I love him, a common man's Mourinho.

Comment

Should add, JJ's football is far more entertaining than Mourinho.

Comment

Steveeeee - if you're not doing anything on Saturday night you might want to check out Flamengo v Santos at 11pm UK time.

First versus second, the battle of the two Jorges, Jesus and Sampaoli. The only two non-Brazilian coaches in Série A and making most of their competitors (with the exception of Thiago Nunes at Athletico-PR) look pre-historic. If anything, Sampaoli's achievement is even more praiseworthy as he's working with a cheaper and much more limited squad.

Comment

I'd like to watch it If I can stay up that late. Any idea of a UK feed?

Comment

This is the one I normally use. Can usually get a decent feed from here.

https://www.futebolaovivo.in/online/

Comment

Cool, thanks.

Comment

Kick off conveniently at 9pm, not 11, managed to get a decent feed. Looking forward to this.

Comment

Sorry about that! Just got back from Preston so I'll watch the second half. Flamengo 1 up.

Apparently Jorge (Sampaoli) is complaining that Jorge (Jesus) has slapped him in the face.

Comment

Missed that bit. Gabigol's goal was lovely. Rest of the game has been lively but niggly, lots of rolling around on the floor.

Comment

Yes, just caught the second half. Too intense for either team to show much quality. I'm afraid the rolling around on the floor is standard. Always good to see a virtually full Maracanã; 78,000 is a season-best.

That was the last game in the primeiro turno which means the final game of the season will be the reverse fixture. Could be a title decider though I think Flamengo will have extended their 5 point lead by then.

Comment

The 3-0 FLA win over Palmeiras ended Big Phil's career for now. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH9ZVXwWIvo

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...coach-11870054

The Mancha Verde has a "Mattos Fora" chant after these defeats and subsequent decisions.
                                          Last edited by jason voorhees; 15-09-2019, 01:52.

Comment

Working...
                                          X