No announcement yet.

Magpie v Magpie: Conference 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The proposal is the top team from North (Kings Lynn via you know what) and South (Wealdstone) go up, only Chorley go down.

Two go up to the football league (Barrow plus PO winner) and Stevenage or Macclesfield come down.

That keeps the National League at 24, but the Bury imbalance looks like it will filter down to the National League South which would have 21 teams next season, and the North stays at 22, unless they move the border about

This is seemingly because the National League North and South do not count as professional leagues under the governments return to action protocol, so they are not able to have Play Offs. Altrincham were prepared to foot the bill to enter the Play Offs and are challenging this, I imagine York and others will too over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post
      The proposal is the top team from North (Kings Lynn via you know what) and South (Wealdstone) go up, only Chorley go down.

Two go up to the football league (Barrow plus PO winner) and Stevenage or Macclesfield come down.

That keeps the National League at 24, but the Bury imbalance looks like it will filter down to the National League South which would have 21 teams next season, and the North stays at 22, unless they move the border about

This is seemingly because the National League North and South do not count as professional leagues under the governments return to action protocol, so they are not able to have Play Offs. Altrincham were prepared to foot the bill to enter the Play Offs and are challenging this, I imagine York and others will too over the weekend.
      Two more up would mean two more down, so you'd have Fylde challenging that from the other end.

Comment

Sorry, Rogin, I mucked up and omitted the word “playoff” before promotions in my post yesterday.

Yes, I’m also expecting the top clubs on a PPG basis from NLN and NLS to go up and keep 24 clubs at step 1 (22 and 21 per league respectively at step 2, though the plan was that was meant to rise to 24 by the end of 20/21).
        Last edited by slackster; 12-06-2020, 12:43. Reason: More befuddled maths from me

Comment

The Guardian's report stated that one of the six NL play-off teams might withdraw because it d oes not to pay the 100 grand. Would they then invite the 8th placed team?

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post

Alan Mak, MP for Havant, subsequently spoke to the sports minister and confirmed that this was not actually true, so at some point someone at the FA or the National League board has at best (wilfully?) misinterpreted the government guidance or at worst has basically lied about it (shock, horror). Seems the government rules apply to individual athletes rather than whole leagues, so if it can be demonstrated players earn their living from sport, then they would appear to be fine to play under the government guidelines.

The resolution has finally gone out to clubs to be voted on, several days late, and has had the part about play-offs not being possible at Step 2 taken out. Among the convoluted and hesitant wording, it would appear the door is now open again for play-offs to take place in the North and South as well as the National, and change the number of clubs being relegated from the National (presumably from the proposed 1 to 3), with some parties (including Alan Mak) still attempting to lobby the league to promote the top 2 clubs in the North/South automatically if it's decided that play-offs can't take place. York City Supporters' Trust have launched a support fund to help all clubs potentially involved in the play-offs to cover the financial costs. Votes need to be in by tomorrow afternoon, and there seem to be suggestions that a "no" vote would put the possibility of null and void back on the table. Still no clearer how it will all pan out then really.

Comment

I often find myself wandering if the Conference can be any more shambolic - it really is the gift that keeps on giving. A month ago I assumed that was it for the season, and the only thing for clubs to concentrate on was still be here when football resumes.

On the one hand a chance at promotion through the playoffs is something to look forward to, but the cost of this (paying players, testing players etc etc), with no income means it would involve a significant financial outlay, and if I am honest I would rather have a club to watch this time next year than spend a large amount of money (presumably from next years budget) on the chance of winning 3 away games to go up.

To my mind in Conference North they should just promote Kings Lynn and York as they were the top two, and do similar in conference South, and relegate 3 teams from the national division. Then end the season and move on to next season. Having said that, if the rumour of starting next season in September with clubs limited to 25% capacity is true, I don't know how clubs with bigger average attendances will survive without completely slashing the playing budget.

Comment

The cost does appear to be prohibitive, and the bits I've read seem to suggest the league are inferring that clubs will have to cover them themselves. I read somewhere Chester are trying to get clarification from the league on that before making their final decision on voting. Meanwhile, our dear chairman was on t'wireless yesterday, and estimated that it would cost ?120k-150k for York to take part in play-offs. He'll no doubt cover that with yet more loans from his other company, but I'm sure there must be clubs in the play-off places who can't afford it.

And yes, I'm really struggling to see how any of the National League divisions will be able to restart properly in September unless grounds are open as normal.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ollie_bayliss/status/1273318427143389184?s=21

Comment

Kings Lynn Champions ! Get in.

Comment

Wealdstone promoted as champions.

Comment

So, with the NLS & NLN play-offs to go ahead, it looks like Fylde and Ebbsfleet will also be dropping to step 2. Both of those had surprisingly poor seasons, and the latter might well be miffed to go down because their unweighted PPG tally saw them just 0.094 of a point behind Maidenhead, after they switched table positions following the adjustment.

And maybe Flyde now have to rethink that [EFL by] 2022 branding on their shirts...

Comment

It's still far from certain that those play-offs will go ahead. They only will if it can be determined that the government guidelines can be adhered to, and if at least 4 clubs are able and willing to take part (which seems dicey given the prohibitive costs) in both divisions – i.e. they can't go ahead in the South if for whatever reason it's decided they can't go ahead in the North, and vice versa. York have unsurprisingly launched a petition asking the league to protect the second promotion place if ultimately the playoffs can't happen. They already rejected that as an amendment at the end of last week, so I'm not sure how far that'll get. So, Fylde and Ebbsfleet may yet get their reprieve, which would once again leave poor Chorley as the only club in the whole of English non-league to be relegated this year.

Comment

From the Altrincham website:

The working assumption is that all 6 National League North [and South] teams will take part in the play-offs, although it is possible that could change.

For the play-offs to take place, at least 4 of the 6 clubs must take part in each competition.

The play-off target dates for both the National League North & South are as follows:-

• Sat/Sun 18 & 19 July : Eliminators

• Sat/Sun 25 & 26 July : Semi-Finals

• Sat/Sun 1 & 2 Aug : Finals
                            These dates seem to be an awfully long way off!

Comment

I presume it's to allow the clubs to bring players off furlough and have them regain some level of fitness.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                I presume it's to allow the clubs to bring players off furlough and have them regain some level of fitness.
                                You would think, although League 2 seemed to arrange their dates much quicker.

Comment

I think they established, at least in principle, that there would be play-offs a lot earlier. In D3, where there was a lot more uncertainty about curtailing the season and therefore establishing the play-offs they aren't happening until next month either.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                                    So, Fylde and Ebbsfleet may yet get their reprieve, which would once again leave poor Chorley as the only club in the whole of English non-league to be relegated this year.
                                    Be a good pub quiz question one day at least. Around Chorley, anyway.

Comment

Maidenhead release eight players including striker Danny Whitehall. This can’t be good:

We can release the below statement regarding our playing squad this evening.

Comment

Sorry to hear this. Hope the situation is recoverable.

Comment

Is that an unprecedented number for a club at that level? It would appear to be about the norm to me.

Comment

Probably not but the most I’ve seen for Maidenhead and includes some regulars. I wonder if Alan Devonshire is staying.

Comment

Is anyone else watching the play off final?

Notts County are having a mare.

Comment

Notts lucky.to make it to half time just the 2 goals down.

Comment

Hopefully Harrogate are on the level, and no Fleetwood or Rushden-style financial doping.

Comment

New Yorkshire blood in the league will be welcome but I wonder if their fan-base is big enough to maintain a club at this level.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X