Magpie v Magpie: Conference 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magpie v Magpie: Conference 2019-20

An utterly self-interested thread title, with a pair of fixtures this coming season I never expected to see: the Magpies of Maidenhead and the Magpies of Notts County. Expecting the former to be scrapping against the drop again, no idea what shape the latter are in.

Wrexham, Fylde and Solihull to be challenging again, or will a relegated side push for the instant rebound?

Chorley are also the magpies.

Comment

Chorley are building a new cinema and restaurant complex opposite the station, such is the excitement of reaching such a level.

The council I mean. The football club aren't building a cinema. They might have bought some new cubes for the urinals.

Comment

Whatever happened to our official Chorley fan?

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
          will one play in black, one in white, and the other in gray (sic)?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
            Chorley are building a new cinema and restaurant complex opposite the station, such is the excitement of reaching such a level.

The council I mean. The football club aren't building a cinema. They might have bought some new cubes for the urinals.
            As you know, I used to go out with someone who lived in Chorley. We’re no longer together but I went back to the town the other week and I was shocked to see the scale of this development.

(I was going to the Mason’s Arms on Harper’s Lane to see ex-Bury - and City and Blackburn and WBA - defender Nicky Reid who now runs it).

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
              Blast, I would have gone with the collective noun for the thread title. According to Wiki a Charm, Gulp, Tiding or Murder. I like Tiding.

Comment

"Gulp! Here come the magpies..."

Comment

It could have been a season of joy, but instead they're stuck with a girl.

Comment

There's my earworm today then: https://youtu.be/tkd-1hBK9fI

Comment

Hello again thread, it’s been a long six years. We're going to have a mix of full-time and part-time players, which has tempered expectations a little, as has losing our leading scorer to Northampton. Expecting we'll have a smaller budget than the last time in this division, but a better team.

Comment

Has anyone heard of "Alex May" (Alick Kapikanya) then?

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...rutiny-2969073

Has rescued

Wednesday
                        Blades
                        Darlo
                        Lincoln City

in the past.

News to me!

Comment

Apparently one of his "team" has been instrumental in helping them train at Forest's training centre - one Tony Kenworthy.

A former (current?) chum of Reg Brealey and Steve Morgon

It all starts to become clear.

(or even more opaque, as the case may be)

Comment

Bit of googling tells me "Alex May" is involved with Tram Sports, who tried to buy Chesterfield last summer. That broke down because they didn't have any cash. Kenworthy and Dick Chester are listed as directors - Chester was secretary at Wednesday for a short period in the mid 1980s, Graham Mackrell (for it is he) replaced him in 1986. No idea what Chester has been doing since.

Comment

Brealey again at Chezzy, wasn't it?

A pound shop Doug Ellis without the latter's ability or charisma.

Comment

Bump, since we now have two threads.

Comment

After a 1-0 defeat at home to Sutton, in front of a crowd of 407, the Boreham Wood chairman has expressed his dismay at the lack of home support https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub....ort-a-concern/

Comment

Not a happy bunny is he? Understandably so, but it is the middle of August and everyone is still on holiday.

....and charging £20 to get in doesn't help either.
                                    Last edited by Paul S; 19-08-2019, 14:49.

Comment

He's got to be a bit more realistic. Boreham Wood are in an area with easy access to a high number of teams, and have risen to their current level pretty swiftly. He seems to be expecting all the residents of the town to magically drop their allegiances to Watford, Barnet, St Albans or whoever. These things take time.

Comment

The best bit about going there were the burgers. Cheese, mushroom, onions, bloody good. IIRC the visiting media always had a shit experience at Boreham Wood. Can't remember if it was something daft like wi-fi only for the home media, but it was something along those lines. Was always a large police presence when Lincoln turned up, but the coppers always said they were there for trouble from the home fans.

Comment

He does have previous of course, assuming he drafted and okayed the bizarre 'DO YOUR DUTY' post (since removed from their site). https://www.theguardian.com/football...-theresa-ma-eu

Comment

Be grateful for every fan you get at that level I reckon. Having grown up in Maidenhead I can attest that the vast majority of people didn’t give a shit about the local team. I don’t imagine a gradual creep to the fifth tier will have changed that substantially and Boreham Wood won’t be any different. Getting into the league would, I’m sure, not that that’s likely to happen for either team. I have no inclination to check but I imagine the Magpies’ current equal fourth spot (or 96th in the country!!) would be their highest ever position.

Comment

The unusual Conference title tussle continues, though Yeovil seem best placed for long-haul contention.

Comment

On a more worrying note, what's gone wrong at Wrexham?

Comment

The main thing you can put your finger on is that we've had five managers in less than 18 months.

Rumours also persist (completely unsubstantiated, I must say) that Bryan Hughes was not technically qualified to be a head coach at this level and only got the job because he was golf buddies with one of our executives. Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if that was true - his transfers certainly suggested someone who was just blagging his way in the job.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X