Europa League early bits 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post

If Rantic and Celtgers are still in it we must still be in the early bits, surely..?
    Think again.

Comment

Yes Celtic's last minute winner has taken them into a "European spring" as it gets called in Romania, and simultaneously taken CFR Cluj a point from the same outcome.

Comment

Man United's comfortable win will see them into the knockouts on H2H, so just need to defeat AZ to top the group.

Comment

That goal by martial was so sexy

Comment

Mata looks really good against rubbish, slow and tactically inept opponents.

Comment

What a great night for the Glasgow 2. Both sides are operating at a good level just now. That is in stark contrast to my level at five-a-sides tonight. If there is a rating below woeful then I was deserving of it.

Comment

On current rankings, the Scottish runners-up will be in EL2, the Europa Conference League, from 2021-22 so unless Rangers get back the title, this season and next will be their last opportunities to compete at this level, which seems very unfair given their performance here but a reflection of the form that got Scotland's ranking so low.

Comment

I'm sure that the Stadion Energa Gdansk is very nice, and nowt against Poland at all, but why is the final going to be held there? Wiki tells me the capacity is 41, 620 (surely to be reduced for "security reasons") and given that the UEFA "family" and assorted sponsors will once again need their (un)fair share of tickets the competing finalists will probably end up with no more than (?) 12,000 fans each. It's like the Superbowl: very few fans from the teams in the final and all to do with corporate sales etc. Why is it,, though, not possible to wait a bit longer at least before deciding on a destination? Imagine Man Utd - Sevilla in the final...the Nou Camp or suchlike could be chosen at short notice and everyone is happy.

Not gonna happen, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Think again.
                    Aye, whatever. Gladbach beat Roma and should now qualify

Comment

Gdańsk is only a bit smaller than the average EL Final venue under the current format. In recent years, it has been held in Basel (37,500) and at the Juventus Stadium (41,500j and did not sell out at either venue.

Next season's final will be at the Sanchez Pizjuan, though.

Comment

I think holding the Europe final in a country which is unlikely to get the CL final makes very good sense (with obvious provisos over choosing venues like Azerbaijan). When it was held in Bucharest a few years ago it was a real boost to football here (and is undoubtedly one of the reasons that the city has got some games for Euro2020)

Comment

That was Platini's original intention with the format change, but it is worth noting that this is Poland's second this decade (2015 in Warsaw) and that for every Romania, Sweden, Switzerland or Azerbaijan there has been an Italy, Spain, France or the Netherlands (though generally not the "premier" ground in each such country).

Comment

Strange that the Liverpool - Sevilla game didn't sell out. Are you sure the lowish turnout wasn't due to those security restrictions?

Comment

No, it was about 1,500 short of the reduced capacity. I seem to recall Swiss costs being a factor for some.

Comment

Just booked for Astana away next week. Manchester - London - Minsk - Nur Sultan. It'll be minus 20 when we get there, we've already qualified, I'm going to be there for about 20 hours all in. I'm a fucking idiot, aren't I?

Comment

Man U might score more than one goal in this one

Roma doing their best not to qualify for some reason, unless Serie A really has sunk.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                    Just booked for Astana away next week. Manchester - London - Minsk - Nur Sultan. It'll be minus 20 when we get there, we've already qualified, I'm going to be there for about 20 hours all in. I'm a fucking idiot, aren't I?
                                    Be sure to go straight to the first place you can find to ask for a nice steaming bowl of kuurdak. That'll take your mind off the cold.

Comment

Squad!

And Captain Lingard celebrates with his teammates whose numbers would give Ray an aneurysm

Comment

Ha ha, I had already added up the total of their squad numbers (768, giving them an average number of 43 rounded up) for the relevant thread.

Comment

Wolves managing to throw away a 3-1 lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                            Wolves managing to throw away a 3-1 lead.
                                            Yeah that is annoying but on the plus side we're through to the knock out stage.
                                            Last edited by jeanmid; 28-11-2019, 20:01.

Comment

Originally posted by jeanmid View Post

Yeah that is annoying but on the plus side we're through to the knock out stage.
                                              It was a cracking game to watch, in pretty crappy conditions.

Comment

Far be it for me to call a professional managers judgment into question, but when faced with a tactical move that will help me to save my job, putting Mesut Ozil on seems to be a high risk move.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                  Far be it for me to call a professional managers judgment into question, but when faced with a tactical move that will help me to save my job, putting Mesut Ozil on seems to be a high risk move.

Very wise. His IT skills are notoriously limited.

Comment

Arsenal are bobbins

Comment

Working...
                                                    X