No announcement yet.

Groundsharetastic - Scottish football 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought they were going to avoid legal action by Hearts by voiding relegation and playing next season with at least one extra club?

Comment

I was reading this article on the BBC website about unemployed managers and loved the Gary Caldwell quotes, especially when he talked abut his interview for the Man City U-23 job.

He describes one for the post of under-23 manager at Manchester City as his toughest. It was three hours long and involved three tasks, supervised by about nine staff. In one room, Caldwell had to give a presentation on himself, and one on how to motivate and develop young players.

Then, to another room where he had to pick cards with different scenarios on them and explain how he would deal with them.

"The first one I picked up was about motivating a player that didn't want to train," Caldwell recalls. " There were about four people in the room and I looked at them and thought 'I know the answer they want to hear, and I know answer I'm going to give.'

"And I thought 'do I stick by my principles or do I really want the job?' I gave them my honest answer and I could see them looking at each other. I knew straight away as soon as a came out that room."

I genuinely think he used his example of when he staged a mock kidnapping of his Partick Thistle players to utterly terrify them as his way of motivating them. The look of sheer horror on the faces of the Man City selection panel must have been priceless.

Comment

I came across this thread on the Pie and Bovril web page while still in the office and have spent the latest three months working my way through it.

Comment

Just a few pages in and a number of absolute crackers already

Thanks very much

Comment

Glad you appreciate it. It is a remarkable thread.

Comment

I like the photo of Ronnie Corbett going Full Kit Wanker in a Hearts strip and someone suggesting that it should be moved to the subbuteo thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                I like the photo of Ronnie Corbett going Full Kit Wanker in a Hearts strip and someone suggesting that it should be moved to the subbuteo thread.
                Its not quite Edmundo giving beer to a monkey at his son's birthday party, but it's close.

Comment

Not going to start a new season's thread just yet as there's no certainty that it'll actually happen with the current court case being brought by Hearts & Partick Thistle. Fair play to Hearts - they've said all along this would happen and stayed true to their word. If Neil Doncaster and his SPFL cronies thought they were bluffing, then think again. But having been one of the first clubs to cut the wages of the squad, Hearts are now spunking money left, right & centre on lawyers fees, a new manager and a new goalkeeper. They really need to win this court case otherwise they're screwed.

And just how pissed off with Hearts must Dundee Utd be right now? Taking them to court to prevent them going up, they then poach their manager 24 hours later. With money appearing to be no object at Tynecastle and Dundee Utd financially fragile, the Jambos may as well go for the Tannadice treble and sign Lawrence Shankland.

Comment

my own personal,non legally competent,opinion is that hearts will lose this and be utterly screwed financially.heres hoping

Comment

Originally posted by steviecowden View Post
                      my own personal,non legally competent,opinion is that hearts will lose this and be utterly screwed financially.heres hoping
                      It's not just you, but there seems to me to be an undercurrent - or maybe more open than that - of mutual dislike bordering on hatred among Scottish football fans to an extent I don't detect in other leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

It's not just you, but there seems to me to be an undercurrent - or maybe more open than that - of mutual dislike bordering on hatred among Scottish football fans to an extent I don't detect in other leagues.
                        I actually used to have a bit of a soft spot for hearts but I cant abide hypocrites-hearts are playing this holier than thou card even though its obvious to all that its as much about self interest for them as it is for everyone else,same goes for ICT who are vociferous in their support for them.if hearts had been 11th and if it had been ICT rather than utd that had been promoted then we wouldn't have been hearing this "will no one think of the greater good of the Scottish game" bollocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Other than the two main Glasgow clubs, where bigotry and sectarianism is the order of the day and hatred is fairly rife, whilst I think there's a lot of rivalry amongst the other teams, especially between neighbouring clubs, i.e. Hearts and Hibs, Dundee and United, etc, I don't think there's really any hatred.

i severely dislike the two Glasgow clubs and everything they stand for and would support any other team when they were playing the gruesome twosome.

Comment

Hearts are doing their best to make me/us hate them, but DP speaks for me here

Comment

Damn right. I hate Rangers more than Celtic, but they can both fuck off. And Celtic fans in Dublin remind me of arsehole glory hunting Rangers fans in 90s Fife. I can't imagine ever hating say Dunfermline, maybe some total bams at Raith do, but wanks gotta wank.

Comment

ive always found that generally speaking the rangers-celtic thing was more of an excruciating love in-anyone whos witnessed the dull banter between both sets of fans in the run up to an OF game might concur.sure,theres utter bams too but every team has these,theres just proportionally a few more with the OF given the size of their supports and they tend to attract the glory seeking inadequates in Scotland
                                there was always a jail saying that you could always have a rangers and celtic fan sharing a cell but not a hearts fan

Comment

Stevie, I think the press tend to be responsible for the Rangers/Celtic love in. “Greatest friendly in the world” - bullocks. “What a marvelous atmosphere” - as fans are singing repeatedly about sectarian shite which has nothing to do with football. Etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                                    Stevie, I think the press tend to be responsible for the Rangers/Celtic love in. “Greatest friendly in the world” - bullocks. “What a marvelous atmosphere” - as fans are singing repeatedly about sectarian shite which has nothing to do with football. Etc etc.
                                    the press are certainly responsible for pushing a lot of myths about the old firm and seem to share the 2 clubs utter indifference to,and disdain for,the rest of Scottish football. I think for all their supposed rivalry, though, theyre actually happy to be the exclusive members of their own cosy wee club

Comment

The daily record Sports section is a miserable thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                        The Daily Record Sports section is a miserable thing.
                                        FTFY, as the kids (probably don't) say

Comment

Another thing I hate about “them” is their Fans constant petty “whataboutery” where they try and justify whatever terrible action whichever one is being criticized for (and there are plenty of examples), by saying the likes of “aye, but your lot did blah blah blah.

Comment

The Green fucking Brigade. Bunch of fuckin self righteous wanks who've read half a shit book. Half more than the equivalent over at Greyskull I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                            X