No announcement yet.

Groundsharetastic - Scottish football 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could BSC not share The Alliance with Caledonian Braves ? I wish I hadn't thought of that, their name depresses me.

Comment

In a play-off place. And just eleven points off the bottom...

Comment

The midweek Scottish Cup replays certainly produced some drama and a hell of a lot of goals - 15 in 2 games. Aberdeen appear to have rediscovered their goalscoring mojo, whilst St Mirren threw away a 4-1 half-time lead but went through on penalties. 120 minutes on a heavy pitch is not really what we needed considering we have a huge game later tonight against the Jambos.

Off the pitch, voting has just closed for St Mirren Independent Supporters Association (SMiSA) members to decide if we want to allow Paisley-based charity Kibble to own a 27.5% stake in the club. The fan-led SMiSA takeover would have been complete (71% maximum) by 2026, but this proposal will see SMiSA reach the smaller majority stake of 51% by late 2021. In return for buying a 27.5% stake, Kibble will supply St Mirren with staff support, say they'll bring new income into the club and create better training and job opportunities for the young folk they care for. So they'd do the catering, hospitality and give apprenticeships in grounds keeping and maintenance.

I've voted "Yes" for this proposal as I think it will benefit both parties (and particularly us) big time as I was always worried what would happen in 2026 when we did become majority owners - just how would we pay for everything with only 1200 paying members whilst trying to stay competitive on the field. As usual there's been plenty of negative talk on the forum from a few who don't appear to be SMiSA members, starting umpteen threads on the subject but just regurgitating the same nonsense saying Kibble want to veto everything and run the club down, without actually offering any evidence as to how, or why, they'll do this. In fact that argument makes no sense as it's really not in Kibble's best interests for this to fail.

In a SMiSA Q&A that I watched, Kibble did give an example of where they would use their power of veto - if a shirt sponsorship deal was presented which was at odds with their ethos, like those bastard money-lenders Wonga. I really don't have a problem with that and hope it will also extend to betting companies too. They also said they plan on being here for the long term but if/when they do decide to go, SMiSA has first-option to buy the 27.5% stake at the same price which Kibble originally paid for them.

Deals like this don't come around often, so I really hope it gets voted through. I'm just patiently waiting for the email..........

Comment

Wait no more Boaby. I just got the e-mail and it's been accepted on 91% of a 71% turnout.

I also voted yes for similar reasons. Talk of vetoing dubious potential sponsors and the like only helped my decision

Comment

Hot off the press, it's been overwhelmingly voted through:

YES - 782 votes (91.6%) / NO – 72 votes (8.4%) Turnout 71.9%

Comment

Ah, you beat me to it!

Comment

Does anyone know what the hell's going on at the SFA after they "rendered invalid" their own judicial panel over the yellow card to ICT's James Keatings in the Diddy Cup semi-final win over Rangers? Did this panel member even look at the video clip or did he just phone it in whilst out on the golf course? And what about the other 2 panel members? Were they going to rescind the yellow card but were persuaded by this rogue panel member? Too bloody weird.

Comment

I presume that everyone is too appalled to comment on this heinous outrage: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-51649308

Comment

It's outrageous. Look at the state of the guy's hat!

Comment

So what happened up there?

https://twitter.com/FortWilliamFC/status/1235681333290115072

Comment

It's like an elaborate Trevor Bastard/Streatham Rovers style joke surely.
                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 05-03-2020, 23:20.

Comment

I mean, Fort are- and I say this with no unkindness- basically a joke football team like Streatham or Private Eye's Neasden, but in real life. Makes sense for them to lean in to that.

Comment

Not having a go at Steve Gerrard but if you want an indication of the idiocy that is the coverage the Old Firm get in Scotland today's Herald sports section has a front page leading with Andy Halliday's warning that Rangers 'buck up their ideas or risk losing manager' while the back page opinion piece has it that if he wasn't a big name Rangers might be sacking him.

Afraid to look inside it in case he's the centrefold.

Comment

Rangers’ current form is hilarious so they should also be on the funny pages.

And I AM having a go at Stevie G.

Comment

I really wanted Rangers to smash the Accies on Wednesday night, so naturally they lost. It's a horrible feeling when you can't join in on all the fun, although I did laugh when I read about the applause the home fans gave Stevie G in the 8th minute as a show of support. What a way to thank the faithful.

With Ross County hammering on the door and demanding to be let in to the relegation party, for the second game in a row I will be cheering on Stevie G and his shower of shite as they head to Dingwall. This makes me feel dirty so when folk at work see me on Monday morning vigorously scrubbing my hands clean and using copious amounts of hand sanitiser, I can pretend it's all because of the coronavirus.

Comment

The world according to Neil Lennon & Scott Brown has Celtic confirmed as Champions. So if we follow this logic (I'll go with Lennon's average points rather than Brown's finish as it is) the Jambos are down & Motherwell get the UEFA cup place with Rangers.

In the Championship, Dundee United are up & Partick Thistle are down. Thistle having played one game fewer than QoS, but their average points tally is 0.96 points per game compared to 1 point/game for QoS.

League 1 sees Raith Rovers up as champs with Stranraer relegated. Similar to the Championship, it's average points that decide relegation - Stranraer having played 1 game fewer than Forfar, but their average points/game is only 0.59 compared to Forfar's 0.85.

League 2 has Cove Rangers as champs in their first season in the SPFL & Brechin's horror seasons show no sign of stopping as they go down again. That's 3 successive relegations for the hedge-hunters.

As for the play-offs, eh, screw 'em.

Comment

The answer to the SPFL is simple. Scrap all games and points won thus far and put everyone to zero points and rank teams by alphabetical order and Aberdeen become champs for the first time since 1984/85 when Fergie’s team, led by Willie Miller, won the league in a canter. Sorry St. Mirren, you’re down.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                                      The answer to the SPFL is simple. Scrap all games and points won thus far and put everyone to zero points and rank teams by alphabetical order and Aberdeen become champs for the first time since 1984/85 when Fergie’s team, led by Willie Miller, won the league in a canter. Sorry St. Mirren, you’re down.
                                      Seems a bit harsh on Queen of the South, but I could live with that....
                                      And it would be worth seeing how Alloa get on the Premiership....

Comment

That 'Scotland's Game' documentary series about Scottish football in the 80s is on the iPlayer again for seven days.

Comment

I'm really concerned for my own club and for Scottish football as a whole. Most clubs in Scotland carry minimal debt, particularly at lower league level. Unfortunately most clubs lack access to borrowing facilities and almost nobody has a healthy cash reserve. Scottish football is heavily reliant on cash flow. Season ticket culture is a problem - income is front-loaded over the summer and is often gone by November. Most clubs are reliant on periodic payments from the football authorities of prize money and income from match day activities. Remove that match day income and it's going to be a struggle for the majority. Dumbarton have tried to increase revenue from the hire of our community suite for events outside of match day - clearly a source of income that's kyboshed as very few people are still running events right now. I'd expect most clubs to be in the same position.

It's going to be a very testing time for Scottish football. I'm not sure how we get through it. An option I'd like to see put into place would be to abandon the normal weighting for payments to member clubs based on league position and to simply split whatever prize money was to be available equally between each club in their respective divisions. Top of the premier league would get the same as 12th. Top of the Championship and 10th would get equal payments. Paying £3million to Celtic for being top of the league at the cancellation point simply can't happen when clubs throughout all 4 divisions are likely to be in serious trouble. A million of that could pay £100k to all 10 clubs in League 2 - the kind of money that would ensure survival of many, if not all, of those teams.

We need a unified solution to this that works for the whole of Scottish football. If the game up here doesn't stand together then we're likely to see many clubs falling down.

Comment

Good suggestions there. Might be time for Scottish govt to push for something like that (tho govt ‘interference’ gets you kicked out of UEFA...)

Comment

Brora declared Highland champions.

Celtic, Dundee Utd, Cove and, indeed, Hearts (Thistle...etc) fans should not get excited about it, as the Teuchter league doesn’t have relegation.

We briefly had/borrowed a dog called Brora

Comment

Statement from the Aberdeen Chairman - seriously hard times are a'coming and all options are on the table.
                                                It's been received with a shrug of inevitability by Dons fans, a nod of recognition from Jambos, and the expected mirth from elsewhere - especially the blue half of Glasgow.
                                                Aberdeen are (were) in a fairly decent place financially, which can't be said of 90% of clubs in Scotland, but monthly running costs of £1.2 million can't be sustained with an income of £0.
                                                Expect more statements to come thick and fast over the course of the next week.
                                                  As Scottish Clubs await the decision from football’s governing bodies on what happens next, Aberdeen Football Club is putting in place measures to

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/football...arts-relegated

Rangers and Hearts less than happy.

Comment

Rangers can surely fuck off here? Celtic had dropped 10 points all season to Rangers' 20, having played one game more. Scottish League One is trickier, with only one point in it. I could see the case for Falkirk (at least) wanting a play-off there.

I think you also have to factor in the possibility of Scotland getting a second wave of Coronavirus next season and needing to lay down a precedent given that reduced seasons might become a trend.
                                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-04-2020, 18:33.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X