No announcement yet.

Groundsharetastic - Scottish football 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter Grant as our new manager... Bollocks!

Most of our fans seem to be pretty happy with the appointment due to their faith in our owners track record in appointing managers. I'm decidedly underwhelmed.

Comment

Bad news for purveyors of bootleg Alloa merch

Comment

More League Cup group matches last night, with St Johnstone the latest Premier league team to lose to lower-league opposition, 1-0 away at Montrose. And here's me thinking it was only St Mirren who had a monopoly on being shite in this competition.

Indodrill Stadium for thrills as Peter Grant's Alloa fought out a 3-3 draw with Elgin City, with Elgin winning on penalties. And the penalties went on all night at Peterhead as the Blue Toon shocked Inverness 11-10 after a goalless 90 minutes.

Comment

After a comfortable 1-0 win against a poor Annan Athletic side lulled us into a false sense of adequacy, things were brought back to earth last night with not so much a bang as an almighty explosion. I didnt make the trip to Cappielow - I'm still trying to recover from the knee injuries suffered from my last visit to their terrible main stand - and I'm delighted that I didn't. By all accounts 6-1 didnt flatter the hosts in any way. Dumbarton managed to concede and own goal and shipped at least another 2 from our own attacking corners. Morgyn Neil did make amends for his own goal by scoring at the other end of the park but by that time the game was well beyond us.

Queen of the South and Motherwell at home on Friday and Tuesday will finish off our group. If either team are in the mood then I wouldn't put it beyond them to give us an even greater horsing than Morton did last night.

We're in trouble. I can't see anything other than a very difficult season ahead. I'm actually dreading canvassing for volunteers to pick our man of the match at home league games this season because there's only so many times you can claim to have a rollover when the fans in the stand are more deserving of the prize whisky than anybody on the pitch.
          Last edited by BallochSonsFan; 17-07-2019, 18:03.

Comment

Another round of glorified friendles later today which will no doubt send a few of us into a deep depression. Hamilton v Partick Thistle could be tasty as well as Ayr v Falkirk. I also think Kilmarnock should be parachuted into the group stage now as punishment for being shite in Europe. After Thursday's humilaition, they should never again be alowed to bypass the group stage.

Comment

Was the Kilmarnock return leg not filmed? Can't find the goals anywhere.

Comment

It’s difficult not to enter deep depression visiting East Kilbride, CY—B

Comment

Aye, looks like our mob got dizzy negotiating all those roundabouts. A thoroughly unprofessional performance losing on penalties and the players have now created a rod for their backs as some fans are already demanding their pound of flesh.

Talking of depressing places, here's a question for us to mull over: Where would you prefer to stay - Hull, Sunderland or Dundee?

My Ayr Utd supporting mate told me that Dundee Utd have paid Lawrence Shankland a £200k signing-on fee along with a £3k a week contract. But apparently the clincher was his girlfriend telling him that if he chose either Hull or Sunderland, then he'd be going there on his own. She's in for a big shock.

Comment

You'd never confuse Dundee with Vienna or Milan, but it's a sight nicer than Sunlun or 'Ull.

Meanwhile at (has to check the location because in our group hardly any bugger plays in their own midden) Hamilton, one of our players' dads has turned out to be something of a hero: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49059075

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                      Was the Kilmarnock return leg not filmed? Can't find the goals anywhere.
                      They're on the Nomads' Twitter feed I think.

Comment

Originally posted by CY_Boaby View Post
                        Aye, looks like our mob got dizzy negotiating all those roundabouts. A thoroughly unprofessional performance losing on penalties and the players have now created a rod for their backs as some fans are already demanding their pound of flesh.

Talking of depressing places, here's a question for us to mull over: Where would you prefer to stay - Hull, Sunderland or Dundee?

My Ayr Utd supporting mate told me that Dundee Utd have paid Lawrence Shankland a £200k signing-on fee along with a £3k a week contract. But apparently the clincher was his girlfriend telling him that if he chose either Hull or Sunderland, then he'd be going there on his own. She's in for a big shock.
                        There was a time we’d come back from Germany for a week’s HOLIDAY in East Kilbride (aunt Kathleen/uncle Wullie’s)...

Given that Shankland’s gf is probably from Ayrshire or Renfrewshire she’s no right to be that choosy. Ayr has hundreds of empty shopfronts and the Angus/Fife coastlines more than a match for the declining west

Comment

Dundee is far from the worst "big city" in Scotland, not while Aberdeen exists with its addiction to expanding its shopping centres, making things even more car centric and trying to pave over the only quirky bit of green space in the city centre.

Comment

Ha, Dundee is a City of Culture and has the Tate Modern offshoot, somewhat more esoteric than say Paisley which I remember as an atypical WOS kip.

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post
                              Ha, Dundee is a City of Culture and has the Tate Modern offshoot, somewhat more esoteric than say Paisley which I remember as an atypical WOS kip.

V & A not the Tate Modern.

Comment

That as well.

https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/oth...awrence-weiner

Comment

That's just The McManus taking exhibits from the Tate Modern, isn't it?

Comment

Crikey, I appear to have aroused some Dundonian passions. But I see no bugger's come to the aid of either Aberdeen or East Kilbride.

There's a few towns I've visited purely for the football but never explored. You drive there, watch the game, then go home. Been to Fir Park a few times but never experienced the delights of what Motherwell has to offer. That all changed 4 years ago when I took my little fella & his cousins to a Lego exhibition at the Heritage Centre.

We decided to make a day of it so we took the train. Got off at Motherwell station and when the kids emptied their rubbish into the station bin, was met by the ultimate Lanarkshire cliche - empty bottles of Buckfast. After the exhibition we walked along Motherwell town centre as the kids were wanting fed. Bloody hell, it was like I'd been transported back to the 1970s and I have never been so relieved to have to found a Gregg's. It was bleak.

For those who've never been to Motherwell town centre, take a look for yourself. There's a couple of 'Well fans on this forum, so guys, please tell me there's more to Motherwell than this.

Comment

Hope the cat in the basket is ok

Comment

That's fuckin bleak. Busy at least, so better than Kirkcaldy High St in that respect, but holy fuck. Lanarkshire, doesn't exactly conjure romance.

Comment

Ah but surely just around the corner there are streets with independent bookshops, real ale pubs, child-friendly parks, pop-up restaurants and green spaces?

Or not?

Comment

unless yr on the train to Hyndland or Stockbridge, mibees naw.

Comment

Christ... I'm back in August... you lot bigging up Lanarkshire has got me salivating.... although I'm sure downtown Baillieston has it all over Motherwell...

Comment

Ach, isn't Baillieston really just part of Glasgow?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                  Ach, isn't Baillieston really just part of Glasgow?
                                                  It is now, but we indigenous Bailliestonians still see it as a wee mining village where every second shop is a bookies and the rest are take-aways.

Comment

That's every high st in Fife nowadays (barring fuckin St Andrews and the East Neuk/Falkland twee craft shop Axis).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X