WC 2022 qualifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WC 2022 qualifying

Started today (or at least today was the first day that I noticed). 5 games in Asia. I'd post the scores here but I'm on my phone and I'm a bit rubbish/lazy/old.

Guam have obviously decided that they're better off in Asia which seems somewhat odd. Anyway they kicked off with a 1-0 defeat in Bhutan

First Leg results:
    Bhutan 1-0 Guam
    Pakistan 0-2 Cambodia
    Laos 0-1 Bangladesh
    Macau 1-0 Sri Lanka
    Mongolia 2-0 Bunei

Comment

UEFA have an interesting conundrum turning 55 into 13 given the truncated qualifying window. 11 groups of 5, winners through, then 8 best runners-up into two rounds of playoffs for the final 2 could be one way. But that runs the risk of leaving behind a LOT of big names ...
      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 06-06-2019, 17:44.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/ftamsut/status/1136298752556355585?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Macau is refusing to send a team to Sri Lanka for the 2nd leg on security grounds:

https://news.yahoo.com/macau-pulls-t...1588--sow.html

Cambodia v Pakistan had a reported attendance of 33,706, whereas Macau only pulled in 901.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_F...ound#MNG_v_BRU

The AFC teams that makes it to the intercontinental play-offs in March 2022 will have gone through a minimum 30 month campaign (33 months if one of this round's teams pulls off a miracle and gets there).
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-06-2019, 02:49.

Comment

Some of these AFC qualifiers are being streamed on mycujoo TV, for example Guam v Bhutan in about 6 hours:

Guam vs Bhutan will start at 3:15 PM on 06/11/2019 (Pacific/Guam) for https://mycujoo.tv/video/guamfa?id=44757

Then again, should the Qatar boycott start now...?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              UEFA have an interesting conundrum turning 55 into 13 given the truncated qualifying window. 11 groups of 5, winners through, then 8 best runners-up into two rounds of playoffs for the final 2 could be one way. But that runs the risk of leaving behind a LOT of big names ...
              Alternatively, 8 groups of 6, one of 7, winners through, 8 best runner-up in one play-off

However, both these options would be extremely difficult to squeeze into the March-Nov timeframe being used this year for the Euros, assuming that the Nations League takes up all the previous Autumn calendar.

Comment

UEFA have settled on 10 groups of 5 or 6, with 2021 Nations League finalists in groups of 5. 10 winners qualify, 10 group runners-up plus 2 best 3rd place teams (based on Nations League ranking) into 3 playoff brackets of 4 teams each, with 3 bracket winners going to Qatar. It looks designed to ensure any Nations League A side from next time round will be guaranteed a second bite at the cherry, as it's unlikely more than 2 of them would finish 3rd or worse in their World Cup qualifying group. UEFA have also expanded Nations League A from 12 to 16 nations, a decision entirely unrelated to Germany's 'relegation' in the first edition.

Comment

If that format had operated for Euro 2020, would the "2 best 3rd place teams (based on Nations League ranking)" be the non-qualifiers from Tier A, namely Switzerland and Iceland on current standings (or Wales if Switzerland qualify automatically)?

The obvious flaw is that a team getting an impossible group draw, like N. Ireland getting Germany and Holland, has no chance in this system; they'd have to not only win their NL group but with one of the two best records.

Expansion of Nations "League A from 12 to 16 nations" means two extra games for those countries, thus more TV revenue, but it also, as you note, reprieves Croatia, Poland, Germany and Iceland retrospectively, meaning that fans who watched those games last Autumn thinking they were competitive may have been swizzled. It also means there will be dead rubbers.
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-11-2019, 14:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    The obvious flaw is that a team getting an impossible group draw, like N. Ireland getting Germany and Holland, has no chance in this system; they'd have to not only win their NL group but with one of the two best records
                    It's worth noting that although NI will finish comfortably ahead of fellow minnows Estonia and Belarus we needed late goals in 3 of the 4 games to turn 5 points into 12.

The World Cup's an elite competition. As I'd have less than 10 European teams in the Finals (let alone the 13 planned) I'm relaxed about this. An attitude more common among NI fans than you might think...

Comment

True. Also NI would be rank outsiders in the play-offs, which I assume would be seeded and NI would be in the third pot (on 2019-2020 rankings).

The Premier League might not be happy about the Tier A countries playing six competitive NL games rather than 4 plus 2 friendlies. The NL finalists will play 16 competitive games in less than 15 months.

Comment

UEFA have settled on 10 groups of 5 or 6, with 2021 Nations League finalists in groups of 5. 10 winners qualify, 10 group runners-up plus 2 best 3rd place teams (based on Nations League ranking) into 3 playoff brackets of 4 teams each, with 3 bracket winners going to Qatar. It looks designed to ensure any Nations League A side from next time round will be guaranteed a second bite at the cherry, as it's unlikely more than 2 of them would finish 3rd or worse in their World Cup qualifying group. UEFA have also expanded Nations League A from 12 to 16 nations, a decision entirely unrelated to Germany's 'relegation' in the first edition.
                        Iceland and Bosnia would have been the sides joining the 4 runners up in the play-offs if that had been the system in 2020. I assume they'd be seeded, which would be (based on 2020):

1. Portugal, Turkey, Russia
                        2. Denmark, Netherlands, Austria
                        3. Sweden, Czechia, Wales/Hungary
                        4. Probably Finland, Bosnia, Iceland
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-11-2019, 13:00.

Comment

Working...
                        X