So VAR then ... still for or against?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So VAR then ... still for or against?

After a season and a bit of seeing it in action in helping decide some truly momentous matches - from the World Cup final handball last year, through Man United's penalty against PSG, Sterlings's disallowed goal against Spurs and then the Sissoko 'handball' in the Champions League Final, have you changed your original opinion on its use (for or against) now that it definitely seems here to stay?
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 05-06-2019, 18:42.

It's still terrible. It's disruptive to the game. It removes authority from referees. It's not even particularly good seeing that it's given a whole bunch of moronic hand-ball decisions. And it's exclusive - it's something that's only available to the rich boys in the big leagues, separating the game they play from the game that other people play.

Comment

Without VAR Spurs wouldn't have reached the CL final.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
        Without VAR Spurs wouldn't have reached the CL final.
        Which is obviously a plus for all concerned. Although actually I still think even the VAR got that particular call wrong ...

Comment

I think that this is likely the single issue on which SB and I find ourselves in the strongest disagreement.

Comment

Crikey that was a coincidence ... I'll post this link back on the African Champions League thread as well!
            Esperance are ordered to return their African Champions League trophy and replay the second-leg of the final after controversy.
            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 05-06-2019, 19:06.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
              It's still terrible. It's disruptive to the game. It removes authority from referees. It's not even particularly good seeing that it's given a whole bunch of moronic hand-ball decisions. And it's exclusive - it's something that's only available to the rich boys in the big leagues, separating the game they play from the game that other people play.
              Absolutely. I can't think of single instance where it's improved any sport as a spectacle. It's yet another instance of TV technology interfering with a game played by, for, and with others in the here and now.

Comment

I don't have a particular issue with VAR so much as I do with the way it's being implemented - the hope is that as officials get more used to having to employ it, the speedier it'll become.

The 'handball' phenomenon is a separate issue, in my book: these soft decisions we're seeing are the result of recent UEFA directives and not a symptom of VAR (which only clarifies that they've occurred, after all). They're going to continue to be given though, so we might as well get used to it: my lot have fallen foul of this twice already.

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                Which is obviously a plus for all concerned.
                Why's that then?

Comment

I was always against it but was surprised to discover that it was even worse than I expected.

Comment

I also think it's damaging generally for football to reinforce the whole idea that decisions have to be perfect, rather than accept that referees make judgement calls, and sometimes bad ones, and you just have to deal with it. Dealing with mistakes is a useful skill to take into the real world, too.

Comment

I was mildly pro it, but it hasn't worked out as I'd hoped.

It's not the first thing I'd abolish or totally reform in football but it's probably on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                        I was always against it but was surprised to discover that it was even worse than I expected.
                        This

Comment

If VAR - as it often does, despite the mistakes - rectifies mistaken decisions, where is the problem?

Are those against similarly anti when it comes to cricket or rugby or tennis etc., with their own technologies?

Comment

Is this the nation's league thread? That Switzerland VAR penalty was mental.

Comment

Okay - we've just seen the most-feared VAR situation played out in the Nations' League semi...

Switzerland call for a pen, the play then turns over and a clear penalty is awarded to Portugal at the other end. The referee refers back to the original (far less-clear) claim, the Swiss are a awarded a spot-kick which is then converted.

I see potential problems here.

Comment

Yup, it really is a terrible idea, and for all that it's occasionally righted a few obvious wrongs, who really needs that in terms of the bigger picture message it sends? Anyway, the Portuguese equaliser just now is going to be the mother of all doozys when it comes to summing up what's wrong with it.

Comment

And for the record, in case it wasn't obvious from what I wrote (and I meant Swiss equaliser), that was never a penalty for the Swiss and if you can only give it by that kind of micro, slowed down repetition of views, then even if it was a penalty it shouldn't be allowed to happen that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Cogito View Post
                                    And for the record, in case it wasn't obvious from what I wrote (and I meant Swiss equaliser), that was never a penalty for the Swiss and if you can only give it by that kind of micro, slowed down repetition of views, then even if it was a penalty it shouldn't be allowed to happen that way.
                                    This is what worries me, too. Surely it's meant to be for obvious overturns. It concerns me when it's similarly used to rule out a goal because the scorer's left big toe might be a fraction offside ten seconds before the goal.

Comment

I'm still not sure what the supposed infringement was in the Portuguese box. But this is otherwise quite entertaining, so no time to re-rewind...

Comment

I thought it was outstanding defending from Semedo. Swiss player tripped himself up.

​​​

Comment

Imagine if Switzerland could shoot. Must be a "teams in all white" thing.

Comment

Lovely goal, classic Fernando Santos drilled move.

Comment

Oh, he's still got it. Well done Cristiano.

Comment

Ronaldo grabs two quick - and sweetly-taken - goals to make the earlier aberration redundant.

Switzerland a little unlucky.

Comment

Portugal very weak at the back, I struggle to understand how Ruben Dias gets into Benfica's starting line up, let alone Portugal.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X