No announcement yet.

So VAR then ... still for or against?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, but they're all big decisions, i.e. they result in penalties or goals or red cards. the problem that people don't realise that a little tug that you didn't notice in the penalty area is actually every bit as much of a penalty as eddie mcthingy's tackle on billy bremner.

Comment

If a manager demands a VAR ruling, does the ref stop play immediately? I'm thinking of the scenario late on a half where a side get a rapid break upfield and the other manager waves for the ref asking to look for something at the other end, just to disrupt the play.

Comment

I don't actually care about every decision being right, and VAR will never achieve this anyway. I just want the game to flow* and not be interrupted for minutes on end, especially when a goal has just been scored and it sucks all the atmosphere out of the celebrations.

* cue jokes about Pulisball

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
          It might not have been given in 1974 but it would have been given in 2010 or 1996 I reckon.
          That's fair, though I was careful to say "could have been given" rather than "would have" and it illustrates the point that the decision was not based on any recent rule change or directive but the long standing method of the referee's interpretation of the player's movement.

Comment

Perhaps the more interesting question is whether Mané would have played the ball in that fashion had VAR not been in effect.

My sense is that the number of similar stratagems has increased as VAR has become more widespread, though it could also be that they were similarly frequent in the past but quickly faded in my memory given that the whistle was never blown.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              If a manager demands a VAR ruling, does the ref stop play immediately? I'm thinking of the scenario late on a half where a side get a rapid break upfield and the other manager waves for the ref asking to look for something at the other end, just to disrupt the play.
              Yes, play would stop immediately. And yes, I can recall at least one instance where exactly what you are describing happened in a Hockey game I was watching. No system will be perfect, but something better than either the current implementation or an important match settled on a penalty won by a dive is possible.

Comment

So far, the only acceptable defence I've read of the current VAR system has been that - at least during the world cup - it actually penalised wrestling in the penalty box at corners rather than just letting the ref have a stern word, walk away and the wrestling re-starts with no penalty awarded. But referees could have just given those penalties anyway in the past. It's not like they didn't see the wrestling.

If we're going to have VAR, I much prefer Janik's implementation - one wrong review per half per manager/team captain. I'd use a cricket style half-ball-width margin of error to retain your review on offside, and have that belong to the linesmen, so marginal decisions either way aren't overturned.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                  I don't actually care about every decision being right, and VAR will never achieve this anyway. I just want the game to flow* and not be interrupted for minutes on end, especially when a goal has just been scored and it sucks all the atmosphere out of the celebrations.
                  This. One of the things that put me off going to football was goal music, and the way it completely killed celebrations by blaring the fucking Fratellis all over them. From what I've seen of VAR on the telly, this effect seems even worse as people just have to stand there shrugging in puzzlement for minutes while they wait for the ruling to be handed down. There are potential positive consequences such as those TAB suggests, but the delays are still a very big and basic problem.

Comment

You know how when someone (*cough* Harry Kane *cough*) goes sprawling in the box after hunting for a leg to trip over and the ref blows for a penalty, all their mates queue up to pat him on the head and say 'Well done, mate' and th crowd all cheer?

Can't the VAR Review just be like that.

"You won a VAR review! Well done!"

Just like a penalty, it might be a goal. it might not.

Comment

Squad!

Comment

Tell you what's good about VAR; when you cut to some Ingerlund twats dancing about and taking their tops off, then the goal gets disallowed and they all have to get dressed again.

Ha. Ha. Ha.
                        Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 06-06-2019, 20:42.

Comment

Working...
                        X