Great trophy presentation photobombs of our time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great trophy presentation photobombs of our time

With Rob Green inserting himself into Chelsea's trophy presentation pictures yesterday (one of 4 (FOUR!!) Chelsea keepers to feature in the celebrations), what other examples do we have of, erm, peripheral players getting themselves front and centre when others have done the hard work?

And let's not forget the classic of the genre

Comment

Richard Wright for Man City in 2012

Comment

I have to say that I took Green's enthusiastic celebrations to be partly self-deprecatory but even if they weren't I'm chuffed for him that he's bagged himself a big medal at the end of his career. He might have played no direct part in any of the games but he's part of the squad, was always ready to play if called upon to do so and seems popular and a good guy to have around. Similarly there were some young guys on the bench without a minute of first team action to their names, Gallagher, Cumming and McEachran, but I'm delighted that they were able to share in the triumph too.

Comment

I know I posted Richard Wright because he played precisely 0 minutes for Man City, but I do recall an interview with one of the players, or even Mancini, pointing out that he was an important part of the squad due to his experience. He was willing to hang around for extra training with the strikers and was also a confidant of sorts to Joe Hart.

Comment

I'm not diminishing the overall contribution of the squad players, or begrudging them celebrating, I just find it amusing when a player who's done literally nothing on the night is front and centre. And yeh it looked to me like Green was a very popular member of the group who was shoved into the centre of it.
            I found it strangely heartening to see the multimillionaire Chelsea players queuing up to take turns with the much-maligned (in England) trophy. You can earn as much as you like and finish third to make the Champions League, but even for these elite players trophies don't come around too often.

Comment

Absolutely. Professional footballers, especially those at the top level who are financially secure, set great store by their achievements and medal hauls.

Comment

Working...
              X