Rogin's occasional Wednesday lunchtime teasers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rogin's occasional Wednesday lunchtime teasers

1. Name five England managers to have taken a club to the UEFA Europa League Final (or its predecessors the UEFA Cup and Fairs Cup).

2. Arsenal v Chelsea will be the second all-English final in this competition. Which other four countries have provided both finalists in the same year?

2. Spain, Portugal are two, I think.

Comment

1. Roy Hodgson, Don Revie, Steve McLaren and two others...

Comment

Bobby Robson.

Comment

.. one being Bobby Robson.

Comment

And Sven Göran Eriksson?

Comment

Sven?

Comment

Yup, Sven, with three different clubs, which might be a record.

Comment

2. I was at Porto v Braga in Dublin in 2011. There were at least 2 all Italian finals, Inter-Lazio and Parma maybe?, and an all-German one in the 90s. And loads of all-Spanish ones... Espanyol-Sevilla at Hampden 2007, Athletic v Atletico 2012?, and Zaragoza-Valencia and Zaragoza-Barca if we're allowed the Fairs Cup

Comment

You've all got the ones I was thinking of. Portugal and Roy and Sven were the answers I thought might stump people. I was umming and aah-ing about expanding the field of both questions to include the Cup-Winners' Cup, as a de facto predecessor Cup Final as well; I don't think that affects question 2 but does it bring any other managers into number 1?

Comment

Ron Greenwood?

Comment

I can't think who with, but I can't imagine Fabio Capello didn't lead a team to a UEFA Cup final to make him the 5th

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                          You've all got the ones I was thinking of. Portugal and Roy and Sven were the answers I thought might stump people. I was umming and aah-ing about expanding the field of both questions to include the Cup-Winners' Cup, as a de facto predecessor Cup Final as well; I don't think that affects question 2 but does it bring any other managers into number 1?

Joe Mercer.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                            2. I was at Porto v Braga in Dublin in 2011. There were at least 2 all Italian finals, Inter-Lazio and Parma maybe?, and an all-German one in the 90s. And loads of all-Spanish ones... Espanyol-Sevilla at Hampden 2007, Athletic v Atletico 2012?, and Zaragoza-Valencia and Zaragoza-Barca if we're allowed the Fairs Cup
                            The Porto-Braga rivalry is pretty friendly, if my information is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                              I can't think who with, but I can't imagine Fabio Capello didn't lead a team to a UEFA Cup final to make him the 5th
                              Fab seems to have been too busy with Milan in the Champions League from the scant research I did - although he might be another one with a CWC final appearance?

Comment

No, he never won a domestic cup as a manager.

Comment

Working...
                                X