Premier League 2018/19 - yet another disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premier League 2018/19 - yet another disaster

What a perfect advert for the prosperous Premier League, the league leaders changed a record 32 times throughout the season, the title decided on the final day, Liverpool achieve the third highest Premier League points total in history and are still the bridesmaids, not the bride. So everything is rosy in the garden, or is it?

Let’s take the first statistic, the lead changing 32 times. This was engineered by TV companies who scheduled Liverpool to play before Man City, especially in the latter stages, but if both teams had kicked off simultaneously then Liverpool would have taken the lead after 3 games and the lead would then only have changed 3 times, with no change at all after game 29. The TV companies have become expert over the years at manipulating their audiences to maximum advantage, with so much money riding on TV rights of course this has become the new science. As for the drama of the final day climax, well how many people would have bet their month’s salary on Man City failing to beat a Brighton team that was now safe from relegation?

So what makes this season a disaster, and before you assume I support Huddersfield, Fulham or Cardiff, let me explain some financial facts. Domestic broadcasting rights are viewed as being at a saturation point making the Premier League increasingly dependent upon foreign rights. Overall, foreign rights are to make up 46 per cent of the total broadcasting rights for 2019-2022. That number was 39 per cent in 2016-2019 and just 11 per cent from 2001-2004. The money made from foreign rights depends on 4 teams dominating, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool, because those teams can claim 99.9% of the support from outside of England. Now in England we talk of a Big 6, but that 6 dominate on a financial stage, but when it comes to overseas support Man City and Spurs are dwarfed by the other 4. That is why this season was a disaster, because none of the Big 4 won the league and because the 2 top supported teams, Arsenal and Man Utd, didn’t qualify for the Champions League (though of course Arsenal still can by winning the Europa). When the Big 4 are playing bars are packed throughout Africa, America and Asia, and that is primarily why the TV rights sell for such a high price.

In 2016, when Liverpool finished eighth, the bars were empty when they played, the Liverpool foreign army doesn’t support losers, some defected to other teams but most just stayed at home. This is the conundrum, we need a competitive league for the home-based fans, but we need the Big 4 to dominate to bring in the money to keep the Premiership from slipping behind La Liga or the Bundesliga, so this season’s failure by Arsenal and Man Utd. will have financial repercussions on the next overseas TV deal unless they can improve, and a way is found to remove Man City and Spurs who are the spanners in the works. It’s a shame because although I don’t support any of the Big 6, I do actually appreciate the football played by Man City and especially Spurs, and have a deep loathing for Liverpool and the Klippity Klopp media circus that they have become.

With the introduction of VAR next season things will get even tougher for the Big 4, as the bias referees undoubtedly show towards them will be tempered somewhat, and particularly Man Utd’s home record could be so bad as to push them into a relegation battle, something the Silent Assassin will probably not have planned for. Take this season’s match at Old Trafford against Southampton, won 3-2 by the home team. Watching the post-match analysis an ex-referee said Southampton should have had 2 penalties, and replays showed United’s second goal to be offside. Yes, VAR would certainly have made a difference then, and it will next season for sure.

What?

Comment

Hah. Bit rich coming from you, Langy.

Comment

The first occasion a referee was asked to overrule an offside goal for Manchester United by VAR this season he studied the monitor and awarded them a penalty instead for something else he'd not spotted. I don't think its introduction is going to give as much comfort to the rest as you hope.

Comment

I thought that UC's main thrust was going to be about the way that the TV companies' scheduling of games involving the leading clubs, designed to increase the drama of the battle for the top, could unbalance the fairness of the competition, which I think it certainly can do.

As for the need for a small number of clubs to be endlessly successful in order the ensure that their legions of overseas fans keep watching the expensive overseas broadcasting packages, well, I daresay that Manchester City and Spurs will start to accrue support around the world if their current form continues.

Comment

Klippity Klopp
            2015 called and asked for its joke back.

Comment

Good to have someone on the board who can discuss Ugandan affairs though

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                I thought that UC's main thrust was going to be about the way that the TV companies' scheduling of games involving the leading clubs, designed to increase the drama of the battle for the top, could unbalance the fairness of the competition, which I think it certainly can do.

As for the need for a small number of clubs to be endlessly successful in order the ensure that their legions of overseas fans keep watching the expensive overseas broadcasting packages, well, I daresay that Manchester City and Spurs will start to accrue support around the world if their current form continues.
                I'm pretty certain that 20 years ago no-one outside of the M25 supported Chelsea. Let alone in Kampala. As however we're now told that the Premier League is a far bigger draw around the globe than the Champions League (and tomorrow's playoff final is potentially worth £180m to Frank Lampard's Derby (TM)) I'm sure there is a new generation wearing sky blue shirts.
                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 26-05-2019, 14:21.

Comment

Well, I'm pretty certain that you're wrong about the first bit, Chelsea having maintained a lot of support in SE England outside of the London orbital since well before the late-90s, but success will certainly generate support for City, Spurs and any other club that makes a mark at the top of the table or in Europe.

Comment

Absolutely, though in part because people have moved outside the M25 during that period.

The explosive growth in overseas support is another thing entirely, and very much dependent on television, but I am unaware that Chelsea has benefited from that to any greater degree than other successful English clubs (including the one that Rogin supports).

Comment

As I've discovered on my travels, Man United have their own brand of pringles on sale in Mexico. It is all getting very silly.
                      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 26-05-2019, 15:20. Reason: Bad taste mentioning Liverpool's tie-in to Malaysia Air.

Comment

Presumably little pea-flavoured

Comment

They look okay, but need a good season.

Comment

They look good but as soon as you put them under any pressure they shatter.

Comment

Pringles ought to be MK Dons really. Since they're fake crisps.

Comment

Redcar has long had a Chelsea supporting contingent. I know of a longstanding fan in Middlesbrough and one in Stockton too.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                  Redcar has long had a Chelsea supporting contingent. I know of a longstanding fan in Middlesbrough and one in Stockton too.
                                  That's probably not unrelated to there being a Leeds-supporting contingent in Redcar. I know a number of people from unlikely places whose footballing allegiances stem from the 1970 FA Cup final. Basically taking a contrary stance to others in the playground and it sticking. And there's usually been a 'Yorkshire Blues' banner or somesuch at the Riverside whenever we've played them.
                                  Last edited by Capybara; 28-05-2019, 08:50.

Comment

Going by the ages of many of those I know or have come across, you're probably quite right.

Comment

When I used to travel to Chelsea's European games in the '90s I went through a dodgy character whose company would source black market tickets and got us into some terrific 4* & 5* hotels. Forged some airline tickets for us once, the rascal. Anyway, there was usually a sizable group of fans from Scarborough for some reason. There's a York-based supporters group too.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                        That's probably not unrelated to there being a Leeds-supporting contingent in Redcar. I know a number of people from unlikely places whose footballing allegiances stem from the 1970 FA Cup final. Basically taking a contrary stance to others in the playground and it sticking. And there's usually been a 'Yorkshire Blues' banner or somesuch at the Riverside whenever we've played them.
                                        FA Cup Finals appear to have had a major influence to people around that time - especially in my neck of the woods where the nearest big teams are at least an hour away. Two of my uncles picked their favourite teams because of the 67 cup final between Spurs and Chelsea. One picked Spurs and the other Chelsea (they're not brothers, one is from my Mum's side, the other my Dad's).

Another of my uncles picked West Ham because of the 64 cup final, and my Aunt picked Leeds because of 72.

Comment

Originally posted by Uganda Corresponent View Post
                                          and particularly Man Utd’s home record could be so bad as to push them into a relegation battle, something the Silent Assassin will probably not have planned for.
                                          This is brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

FA Cup Finals appear to have had a major influence to people around that time - especially in my neck of the woods where the nearest big teams are at least an hour away. Two of my uncles picked their favourite teams because of the 67 cup final between Spurs and Chelsea. One picked Spurs and the other Chelsea (they're not brothers, one is from my Mum's side, the other my Dad's).

Another of my uncles picked West Ham because of the 64 cup final, and my Aunt picked Leeds because of 72.
                                            I know a 50 year old South Walian whose nominal team is Forest due to the influence of the 79 and 80 European Cup wins. I've always wondered if that's is mirrored in different parts of the country.

Comment

Likely so. It is definitely the origin of the name of this cocktail bar near our old flat in Milano

Comment

I was so excited to go there. Except I timed my visit to Milan for when it was shut for a month. Ho-hum.

Comment

August.

The posh hotel across the road closes as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X