Your outliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your outliers

My Groundhopper map is a funny one. Locations scattered across the UK and then one whopping outlier in the middle of Utah.

Anyone else got any odd outliers? Could be in a season or overall.

Thong Nhat Stadium, Ho Chi Minh City.

Comment

Stadium Australia for the 2000 Olympics final is the only one outside Europe for me. Reykjavik stands out from the rest of my westerm/cemtral European biased experience

Comment

Swangard Stadium, Vancouver and Memorial Stadium in Seattle. Otherwise all Europe.

Comment

The Azteca for me, I reckon. I've got a fairly even spread across a few bits of Europe, and a pretty dense cluster around the banks of the Río de la Plata, with Mendoza (near Argentina's border with Chile) the main South American outlier. But the Azteca is the only ground I've seen a game at outside either of those continents.

That's ten years ago now. The mate whose wedding I was going to on that trip is about to marry his second wife, and I can't afford to go to this one. Doesn't time fly?

Comment

I suppose my European outlier is the Boris Paichadze Stadium in Tbilisi, Georgia.

Outside of Europe it would be Giants Stadium (for the MetroStars), whatever LA Galaxy's ground is called now, UCLA's Drake Stadium for the Bruins Womens Soccer team, Yokohama Sports & Culture Club's Mitsuzawa Stadium and the Antigua Recreation Ground for various of their Premier League games.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-05-2019, 11:21.

Comment

I've never seen football out of Europe, so my outliers are Madeira and Fuerteventura.

Outside of Europe, it's baseball in Cincinnati and horse racing at Happy Valley in Hong Kong.

Comment

Only one outside the UK (I don't get out much): Berlin's Olympiastadion for the 2006 WC QF between Germany and Argentina.

Comment

In global terms, Dodger Stadium and Anaheim Stadium, as it was then called. In Europe, probably Stadion Střelnice in Jablonec nad Nisou.

Comment

Did you see "soccer" in both of the US baseball stadia?

Comment

Just realised that despite extensive travel during my 20s and early 30s I've never seen a football match outside of Europe although I have seen NFL, baseball, Aussie Rules and I've done various stadium tours.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                        Did you see "soccer" in both of the US baseball stadia?

Sorry, I've been a bit of a prat. I got distracted by GO's comment about watching non-football sports events abroad. Neither of my Californian stadium visits were for footie games. Like tracteeurgarcon, I can't recall ever seeing a football game outside of Europe.

(Anaheim Stadium was gridiron at the time).

Comment

That's alright, they have both hosted the odd random "soccer" game before but I did think it would be a lucky coincidence if you'd managed to see the sport in both.

Comment

Warriors v Tai Po in the Hong Kong Premier League tomorrow evening at the Tseung Kwan O Sports Ground. The only football match I've seen outside of Europe (though I have watched cricket in India and the West Indies).

Comment

My outlier is Malmo (apols for lack of Swedish letter). Walking from the city centre, we passed two previous Malmo FF stadia on the way to the new ground so it is kind of an outlier even within Malmo.

Comment

For football it's Bucharest for Steaua v Bohs in the Cup Winners Cup, other sports is Madison Square Square Garden to see the Knicks lose to the Pistons in front of a lot of pissed off New Yorkers.

Comment

Having grown up without a local football club (or indeed league) there is a sense in which the vast majority of the matches I have seen are outliers, though I would nominate a double header of GAA All Stars vs California Selects in Gaelic Football and Hurling at San Francisco's Balboa Park (now called Boxer Stadium).

As you can see from the markings, the pitch is used for a variety of sports.

Comment

My non-football outlier is Happy Valley in Hong Kong, considerably further away than second placed race course Fairyhouse.

Also, with apologies in advance to ursus, I attended a baseball match in...Queens.

Comment

Having been to hundreds of those, it would be churlish of me to criticise others.

Comment

Has a home win ever been the desired outcome?

Comment

You are joking, aren't you?

They have never played Real Madrid.

Comment

It was worth double checking; your feelings on this issue are one of the cornerstones of my limited understanding of the summer pastime. Take that away and there would be little left.

Comment

OK, if we're doing other sports outside our home continent ;

Madison Square Garden - Joe Calzaghe v Roy Jones Jr, New York Rangers v Florida Panthers
                                              Giants Stadium - New York Jets v LA Rams
                                              Dodgers Stadium - LA Dodgers v San Francisco Giants, LA Dodgers v Houston Astros (World Series)
                                              Staples Center - LA Clippers v Detroit Pistons
                                              Honda Center - Anaheim Ducks v Carolina Hurricanes
                                              Amway Center - Orlando Magic v Atlanta Hawks
                                              Some skanky horse racing track in Austin, Texas

Etihad Stadium, Melbourne - Australia v British & Irish Lions
                                              ANZ Stadium, Sydney - Australia v British & Irish Lions

Tachikawa Velodrome, Tokyo - Keirin meeting

There might be more but records only began in 2012 and recollection is often hazy. Apologies for using sponsored names for venues where I don't know alternative.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-05-2019, 20:49.

Comment

Not very outlying - the Ta' Qali stadium in Malta.

Comment

Mine are mostly in the UK/Ireland, then a solid bunch in Italy from my three years living there, a couple in Germany, and then as quite a significant geographical outlier, the former National Stadium in Tokyo.

In terms of non-football, I went to a few baseball games on that same trip to Asia, two in big stadiums in Japan, but then also went to the Xinzhuang Stadium in Taipei to see the gloriously named Brother Elephants play the 7-Eleven Lions.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X