Finishing on zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing on zero

I notice with interest that Kardermir Karabukspor finished bottom of the Turkish second level Lig 1 with zero points. I'd assumed they'd gone bust midseason or something, but it seems not. The had three points deducted, drew 3 and lost 31, scored TEN in 34 games and conceded a fairly respectable 112 in the circumstances.

https://int.soccerway.com/national/t...season/r48473/

Finishing on a minus points score somehow doesn't seem so bad.

Although I really should avert my eyes from the gory scene, I can't help following Fort William's struggles in the Highland League each season. For the one just ended, their final record was:

P 34 W 0 D 2 L 32 F 21 A 245 GD -224 P -7 (9 points deducted for some unspecified infraction of the rules, presumably)
    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 21-05-2019, 09:49.

Comment

You can imagine Forts are able to take points deductions in their stride

Comment

I think that the season just ended might represent Fort William's worst-ever return - which is saying something. They conceded double figures on ten occasions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E...ootball_League
        Last edited by Jah Womble; 21-05-2019, 09:38.

Comment

They actually tightened things up a bit towards the end of the season. At one stage in the earlier part they managed to string together a run of games where they were losing by a margin of exactly 10 goals each time.

Comment

Sounds like the fix was in...

Comment

Kardemir had only just been relegated from the Super Lig last season.

I wonder if their iron working patrons have somehow run afoul of Erdogan.

Comment

Sounds like the fix was in...

Heh!

Just checked. The co-ordinated defeats were at the very start of the season in July & August - 11-1, 11-1, 6-0 (obviously trying to throw the investigators off with that one), 10-0, 10-0.

Comment

For all your crap clubs I raise you Sueca United. Sueca is a small town to the south of Valencia, They play in an amateur league. It's hard to find complete details for the past few seasons but basically if we go back to 2012 it was then that they won their first game in eight years and 240 games without getting three points. Near the end of the 2015-16 season they had played 22 games, scored one goal and conceded 448.

Last season they played 29 matches, lost all of them, scored 4 goals and let in 442. This season has been a bit better, even though they lost all their games again and finished with -3, as they managed to score the grand total of 12 goals in 28 matches and only allowed 311 in at the other end.
                  Last edited by Sporting; 21-05-2019, 18:00.

Comment

Still in Spain, I notice that Reus in La Liga 2 have zero points. They've won and drawn a few games but, I guess must have been penalised points for some reason(?)

Comment

They went bust halfway through the season.

Comment

Reus was expelled after the end of the first half of the season due to unpaid wages. Their matches of the second half were given to their opponents by 0–1.

Comment

Same with Ontinyent in the regionalised third division.

Comment

Reus town and airport is one of the worst places I've ever seen. Including Cowdenbeath.

Comment

I've never been there but it seems to have some coolish modernist buildings and a nice market square. And small airports are usually preferable to big ones, unless you love that rip-off pre-flight shopping experience and all the queuing up in general. But you'd know better.

Put "Reus" in google images and Marco comes up first,

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                For all your crap clubs I raise you Sueca United. Sueca is a small town to the south of Valencia, They play in an amateur league. It's hard to find complete details for the past few seasons but basically if we go back to 2012 it was then that they won their first game in eight years and 240 games without getting three points. Near the end of the 2015-16 season they had played 22 games, scored one goal and conceded 448.

Last season they played 29 matches, lost all of them, scored 4 goals and let in 442. This season has been a bit better, even though they lost all their games again and finished with -3, as they managed to score the grand total of 12 goals in 28 matches and only allowed 311 in at the other end.
                                Here's a link to some of Sueca's recent results (scroll down):

https://www.siguetuliga.com/equipo/sueca-united

(Google Translate gives us 'Swedish United', but you can ignore that.)

The team's quite spectacular 0-34 home collapse to top club Algemesi CF a couple of months back was so comprehensive that the goal details won't even fit onto the match page. (All of said goals seem to have been credited to defender Angel Muñoz, however, which strikes me as a little unlikely. But whatever.)

They still somehow don't quite match up to this fabled mob, however:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/...edes-227-goals

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  I've never been there but it seems to have some coolish modernist buildings and a nice market square. And small airports are usually preferable to big ones, unless you love that rip-off pre-flight shopping experience and all the queuing up in general. But you'd know better.

Put "Reus" in google images and Marco comes up first,
                                  Reus airport is one of the two "Barcelona" airports used by the low costs. Unfortunately, in most such cases the airports are usually too small and unprepared for the volumes of traffic that RyanAir et al bring in. So there is always the potential for chaos, plus there is a sort of lack of investment that happens because the passengers are seen as cheap/poor/cattle-like. I've never been to Reus airport, but I have been to a number of these small provincial airports that get used as "local" for destinations up to 100km away, and they are nearly always chronically underprepared and underfunded.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

The team's quite spectacular 0-34 home collapse to top club Algemesi CF a couple of months back was so comprehensive that the goal details won't even fit onto the match page. (All of said goals seem to have been credited to defender Angel Muñoz, however, which strikes me as a little unlikely. But whatever.)

Sueca's home game with Olympyakos looked to be a bit of sickener. Holding the visitors at 2-2 with more than half an hour gone, Sueca couldn't hang on for the point and were ultimately edged out 22-2.

Comment

Blimey, that is quite bizarre...

Wonder what could have gone so badly wrong after such a promising opening half-hour? I imagine that Dani getting yellow-carded probably didn't help. (Perhaps he took off his shirt after scoring that second equaliser.)

Comment

Going back to some of the earlier comments, fair play to Fort William. Despite getting hammered week in, week out, they never scratched one game. And in the Highland Leahue they had probably the furthest distance to travel of all the HL teams.

Comment

However, given everything that was already against them, 'fielding an ineligible player' seems a rather lame-assed way of being deducted even more points.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

They continue being spectacularly bad, with a recent 6-3 defeat this season's high point (apart from the 3-0 loss in the opening match):

https://www.siguetuliga.com/equipo/s...ed#rachaEquipo

Comment

I'd say that Sueca were probably lucky to concede just the twenty-three to top-dogs Benifairo at the weekend - given that fourth-placed CD Chella did them 30-1 on their own patch last month...

Comment

And to think people on here were worried about the psychological effect of losing a couple of League One games would have on Bolton's kids.

Comment

Update: results for Sueca United haven't exactly improved:

https://www.siguetuliga.com/equipo/s...ed#rachaEquipo

Comment

Working...
                                                  X