Rogin's occasional Friday lunchtime quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rogin's occasional Friday lunchtime quiz

1. Which former members of the Football League have since reached (but lost) two FA Vase finals?

2. Which three Welsh clubs are currently non-league but former Football League members?

3. Who were voted out of the Football League in 1972 to be replaced by Hereford, who had famously knocked Newcastle out of the FA Cup that year?

4. Which club, now defunct, were the first to be automatically promoted to the Football League, in 1987?

5. Which League One club is the successor club of three former teams who previously played in the football league under different names, two of whom were rivals who then merged?

Dunno.

Comment

4 is Wimbledon.

Comment

1. Gainsborough Trinity
        2. Aberdare, Methyr Town, ?
        3. Barrow
        4. Scarborough
        5. ?

Comment

5. Burton maybe

Comment

1. Glossop? and Hereford (if they count)
            2. Wrexham and Merthyr
            3. Barrow
            4. Scarborough
            5. Burton?

Comment

1. Gainsborough Trinity
              2. Aberdare, Methyr Town, ?
              3. Barrow
              4. Scarborough
              5. ?

Wrexham the third Welsh team, presumably.

Comment

5. Accrington Stanley

Comment

Oops, how could I forget Wrexham. I was trying to think of another club from the valleys that might have played against Argyle back in the 20s.

Fact fans might like to know that of the 106 teams Argyle have played more than three times at home we are more successful against Aberdare than any other.
                  Last edited by Greenlander; 17-05-2019, 11:41. Reason: Useless trivia

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                    4 is Wimbledon.
                    Read the question Sits!

Comment

I'm also guilty of misreading at least one of them.

Comment

Without looking at anyone else,

3. Barrow
                        4. Scarborough
                        5. Burton Albion

Comment

Excellent questions,I got 2,3 and 4

Comment

Glossop was my answer for number 1 (and Burton is number 5, Albion having been preceded by Swifts, Wanderers and United). Aberdare, Merthyr and Wrexham are the Welsh clubs (now Newport are back up), Scarborough were the first ever directly promoted team (think they took Lincoln's place?) and the side who had make way for Hereford were Barrow.

Comment

Those three Burton predecessor teams all played in the league?

Comment

Burton Swifts were in the League 1892 to 1901
                                Burton Wanderers were in the League 1894 to 1897

In 1901 they merged to for Burton United who remained in the League until 1907.

Comment

Ah, excellent. All new to me. Thanks, Zeb.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    2. Which three Welsh clubs are currently non-league but former Football League members?
                                    A number of Welsh clubs just missed out on joining the League when they were the number one applicant in the days of re-election voting, including Pontypridd and Llanelli. I don't know if English football or Welsh rugby was to blame.

Comment

The Merthyr Town in the football league ceased to exist in 1934 - Merthy Tydfil FC wasn't formed until 1945.

Comment

An earlier discussion of re-election with plenty of detail to pore over ...

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...ootball-league

Argonauts, everyone's second favourite team.

Comment

1 Glossop North End. I can't believe that I didn't get it straight away being as I was actually at one of the matches...

Comment

Working...
                                          X