No announcement yet.

Feel the Noize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a student I lived about 600 yards from Lincoln City's ground. Despite having an attic room, with a window facing towards Sincil Bank, I never heard anything from there, not even from their play-off games - probably due to the biggest stand at the ground being between our house and the pitch.

With a favourable wind, the noise of the tannoy at Matlock Town's Causeway Lane sometimes carries up the hill to my mum's place.

Comment

I used to live near enough to Headingley to hear rugby league crowds. And lived round the corner from Brisbane Road for a few months in the early 90s, though I don't know whether you could hear the crowd, as I was always part of it at the time. Our ground's noisier now than it was then but because it's hemmed in by flats I doubt you could even hear it from the High Road.

When Our Kid lived in Stoke Newington, I heard some crowd noise from the Emirates drift over once.

Comment

When I lived on Ordsall Lane I could hear Old Trafford. I heard Robin van Persie's last minute equaliser against Chelsea a few years back. It brought on a long period of melancholic introspection that led to me going to see United U21s beat Norwich about a million nil. Will Keane got five goals and Memphis Depay tormented the poor child playing fullback in a real "found his level moment".

The roar that drifted down the Irwell, coupled with the plaque in Salford Quays that says "Oh your heart was aching as Old Trafford gave a roar, 7 miles left in sailing 5 days still from port" set in the context of strife and mither (Strife and Mither could be a Salford based law firm) at FC basically drove me back into the sweaty bosom of the Glazers. An act of lovelorn desperation smothered in pathetic retreat.

From my current flat I hear nothing but the grimy bustle of Portland Street. I miss it greatly when I'm away. The blanket silence of the Atacama Desert is no match for kebab revellers and brothel creeps.

Comment

If you've been to Home Park by road you'll almost certainly have driven past my old place just by the supermarket around a mile from the ground. By all accounts it's well within the range of the noise from the crowd, even pretty sparse ones.

When I'm working at the docks, the wind is in the right direction and the crowd particularly animated it's just about possible to hear the roar for a goal. That's about two miles for a herring gull.

I'm now just up the hill from the speedway but we don't talk about the noise from that as the posh folk down in Plympton moan like fuck about it while trying to get the council to reduce the planning consents. Which completely ignores the continuous rumbling traffic from the nearby trunk road into Plymouth and onto Cornwall next to which the track sits and is far louder. From my place the speedway bikes sound like weekend lawnmowers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
            Both Valencia and Levante when the wind is favourable.
            I wonder how far the caterwauling of the feral feline colony at the Nou Mestalla carries

Comment

I've lived in 11 different countries and approximately 25 fixed addresses and never lived within hearing distance of any form of stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                If you've been to Home Park by road you'll almost certainly have driven past my old place just by the supermarket around a mile from the ground. By all accounts it's well within the range of the noise from the crowd, even pretty sparse ones.

When I'm working at the docks, the wind is in the right direction and the crowd particularly animated it's just about possible to hear the roar for a goal. That's about two miles for a herring gull.

I'm now just up the hill from the speedway but we don't talk about the noise from that as the posh folk down in Plympton moan like fuck about it while trying to get the council to reduce the planning consents. Which completely ignores the continuous rumbling traffic from the nearby trunk road into Plymouth and onto Cornwall next to which the track sits and is far louder. From my place the speedway bikes sound like weekend lawnmowers.
                Are you getting along to the "Gladiators" much this season?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Are you getting along to the "Gladiators" much this season?
                  Unfortunately none yet. Mind you there's only been the one meeting which coincided with a pre-booked gig. I carefully try and manipulate the work rota to maximum benefit for Friday night speedway and both times so far the weather has intervened. Tonight is a rearranged one of those so I'm working yet it looks like the rain might win out again. The season just isn't getting going, we have proper speedway weather from Saturday to Thursday and then it goes to shit Friday.

I will post appropriately on the dedicated speedway thread in due course together with my thoughts on the whole Gladiator thing. Briefly, not a fan, but totally get why it's been done.

Comment

When I lived on White Hart Lane as a child, I could faintly hear the roar of the crowd when we scored. This was the late 70's and shit spurs so it was few and far between. Looking down the hill on Creighton road you would see the glow of the stadium on evening matches and it was magical.
                    I then moved even closer to the stadium and would be able to hear the crowd and even the songs if you stood outside your front door. Actually, anyone who took the northbound train to White Hart Lane would have gone past my back garden (half way between Bruce Grove and white Hart Lane station) .
                    I remember as a kid, hearing the crowd roar and then listening on the radio to see who had scored during our Uefa Cup run in 84.

Now, I can hear Wolves if the wind is blowing in the right direction on a good day.

Comment

In a similar vein when a friend of mine and his wife were buying their first home he basically left everything to her,the only proviso being that you could see the lights of Dalymount park from the house. Amazingly they're still together.

Comment

I can hear the tannoy at Cougar Park in Keighley, there's not usually enough of a crowd to hear them though.

Comment

Never lived remotely close to a sports stadium, though I can see the floodlights of Anfield from the bottom of our garden, albeit it's about 9 miles away.

With a favourable wind I can hear motorbike racing from Aintree, which suggests I should also be able to hear the roar on Grand National day, or (slightly less probably) the crowd at Bootle/City of Liverpool games - but I'm yet to hear them. I've also heard car rallying taking place at New Brighton, which is about 8 miles away - across the Irish sea/Mersey estuary.

Comment

We live near enough to Twerton Park that, when I get back from the match, my wife can give me a fair approximation of the score from the crowd noise she has heard in the back garden.

Comment

Surprised that you don't keep the score yourself.

Comment

Air-di-ree, Air-di-ree, Air-di-ree. I could clearly hear the chants from Broomfield when they played in the town centre. Now that they play half the distance way, in what used to be the brickworks, I can't hear a thing.

Comment

My Catalan uncle was in charge of the electron microscope at the University of Barcelona, and once showed me in to his lab and office. From his desk he had a view across a car park, a load of trees, a few roads, and Camp Nou.

He told me that one evening they were working late, and saw the lights go on at Camp Nou for a Champions League game. A couple of seconds later all their lights went out. The surge of everything being switched on at the stadium had blown out the connection between the grid and the university. Since very shortly after that happened, the University of Barcelona has been connected to a separate power line from Camp Nou.

Comment

Working...
                                  X