Feel the Noize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feel the Noize

Discussed on the play-offs thread, worth its own: grounds that you can/could hear, from your home or yacht or prison cell.

St James Park, Exeter: at primary school age I lived within earshot (just - only the bigger games generated enough sound to hear). I went to Saturday games, but evening kick-offs were off-limits, so this was my commentary. Probably mis-remembered, but very fondly. When I was older and able to go, I was living miles away. I've never recaptured that feeling since. Like birdsong that's gone forever.

I lived in Leytonstone for a while but don't recall hearing Brisbane Road. Nowadays it's rugby at Eden Park, if the Irish or Lions are in town.

To win the thread you probably have to hear multiple matches simultaneously. Or goals accompanied by ice cream vans and steam trains.

When I was growing up I could hear the speedway bikes and stock cars at Wimbledon Stadium but, unsurprisingly, not the crowd noise from Wimbledon FC's ground at the other end of Plough Lane.

Nowerdays I can hear the middle-of-the-night car and motorbike racers screaming down the Mad Mile, (A217 between Banstead & Belmont).

Comment

When I was younger I could hear crowd noises from big games in Dalymount park and Croke park,not so much now due to a combination of more traffic noise, increasing hearing loss and the fact that I'm usually at the games concerned.

Comment

We can hear crowd noise from large concerts in Central Park. This was of course the case when we lived across the street, but is still the case now that we live as far west as one can get while staying on the island.

Comment

I can hear the local middle school band during band practice.

Comment

Very occasionally rugby international crowd noise from the Millennium Stadium. Some crowd noise from CCFC Stadium if it's Wales playing there, plus the floodlights glow at the end of the street. Can hear the midnight steel train, infant school playground noise, regular ice cream van on the street, and the police chopper hovering lighting up scallywags.

Comment

(At work if I hear the chopper it's never good news. I was on the top deck of the multi storey car park and watched one come in once. That's some tight flying.)

Comment

I don't think I can ever hear anything here. In fact, I may never have lived anywhere I heard a sporting event. I used to live close enough to the Oval that I knew to bring the washing in when they pulled the players off for rain, but I never heard a peep. I had a girlfriend in Manchester who could hear Maine Road from her student hovel, but my student hovel was in a less cool and edgy part of town. But that's about as close as I ever got.

Comment

I lived near Carlisle's ground for a while, but never missed a home game so didn't have much opportunity to test it (I left before full time once during a savage battering and could still hear the crowd booing when I was back home), but my then girlfriend knew when it had been a lively game by the crowd noise.

As a student we lived in Jesmond at the same time as Durham played a lot of home games there (while the Riverside was being developed) and we could hear the tannoy announcements, including one time when the game was on proper telly so we were listening to the man of the match presentation then hearing it a second of so later later through the TV.

Later on a Headingley trip we stayed at a friend's nephew's flat (who was a student) which was a low number on Headingley Mount (not Terrace) and we could hear the announcement for the toss from the living room. It was also handy for nipping out during the lunch breaks (we were there two days) to use a relatively clean toilet, have a can and eat samosas from the shop at the end of the street.
                  Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 16-05-2019, 21:54.

Comment

I lived on Estcourt Avenue, bang opposite the Headingley turnstiles so could hear the leather on willow if there wasn't a bus going past. Although if I was at home I usually went to whatever was on, usually prompted by seeing fans gathering. As WFD suggests, it was also useful for me and my group to refuel/sleep off the morning or afternoon drinking.

My parent's house, which is also my old house is a good couple of miles from Glanford Park, and I never heard anything, but I was usually there and my mother claims to be able hear goal celebrations while gardening.

Here, work is close enough to the stadium (about a mile) to hear plenty of Huddersfield Town/Giants crowd/goal/try noise from the smoke shelter. In fact I revised my breaks during their promotion season as me popping outside kept coinciding with goals. Can't score at half time, can they?
                    Home is further away and the only time I heard them this season was the late equaliser v Man Utd, when I was in the bathroom.

Comment

Royston Town FCs ground is about a mile away. I've only heard chanting from that carried on the breeze once - when they were playing AFC Rushden & Diamonds in a play-off game a couple of seasons back. It took a while before I clocked what I was listening to.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                        When I was growing up I could hear the speedway bikes and stock cars at Wimbledon Stadium but, unsurprisingly, not the crowd noise from Wimbledon FC's ground at the other end of Plough Lane.
                        I lived close to Plough Lane around the turn of the Millennium and could often hear what I now realise were the bikes of the Wimbledon Dons speedway team in their short-lived return to the track for three seasons from 2002.

However, as I had no way of knowing the sport was back there I always assumed they were stock cars or bangers (I've never had much of a clue about vehicles) because that's what the stadium was better known for at the time along with the dogs. I could have discovered the sport live a decade earlier than I did which has always annoyed me.

Apart from that I used to live close to Rosslyn Park rugby club during my teens in the eighties, I'll be honest with you I can't recall the noise cutting through the apartment blocks between the stadium and our home though,
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-05-2019, 10:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I lived close to Plough Lane around the turn of the Millennium and could often hear what I now realise we're the bikes of the Wimbledon Dons speedway team in their short-lived return to the track for three seasons from 2002.

However, as I had no way of knowing the sport was back there I always assumed they were stock cars or bangers (I've never had much of a clue about vehicles) because that's what the stadium was better known for at the time along with the dogs. I could have discovered the sport live a decade earlier than I did which has always annoyed me.

Apart from that I used to live close to Rosslyn Park rugby club during my teens in the eighties, I'll be honest with you I can't recall the noise cutting through the apartment blocks between the stadium and our home though,

Oh, that's a shame you didn't get to see the Dons. Speedway was my favourite sport as a kid and I was a regular at Wimbledon Stadium in the '70s, (I think I've got Barry Briggs's autograph somewhere). One of the most traumatic events of my young life was when my hero Tommy Jansson was killed on the track (not WS mercifully):

Comment

Yeah, I'd have loved to have seen the Dons even in the reduced circumstances they operated under in their final spell at Plough Lane, Funnily enough I am probably seeing a Wimbledon Dons Select side race at Kent Kings next Monday as they race an annual friendly to keep the name alive but the riders' links to the original club get more tenuous as the years go by.

Comment

When I lived in San Telmo there was a motorway between the stadium and my flat, and the flat was on the inside of the building, both of which were obstacles to hearing crowd noise, but when Boca Juniors had cause to let off fireworks for special occasions I could hear them loud and clear if I opened the skylight in the living room.

Judging from reports from friends and people on Twitter who live within the noise radius, I think our new place is going to be just beyond the range to hear the very loudest shouts at River Plate, and in any case we'll be on the wrong side of the building, but I'll have a listen.

In the first flat we lived in together, for six months at the start of 2015, we could very easily have heard the roar of the crowd at the polo stadium, except that it's a polo stadium so the crowd don't make any noise.

Comment

"Rodney!... Rodney, Rodney, Rodney, Rodneeeeeee!"

Could be heard from Shepherds Bush Market to the BBC Theatre in the late 60s.

Comment

I can only hear the Racecourse from my house in extremely specific atmospheric conditions (the very same ones that allowed me to receive Dutch TV in the days of analogue, for some reason) or whenever the remnants of what used to be UB40 are performing.

Comment

We could hear the Calderón from our flat in Madrid but here in Walkergate, Newcastle we get speedway quite loud ( including occasional roar at race climaxes) and the tannoy/barking of greyhound racing from Brough Park

Comment

When I lived in Leicester and City were still at Filbert Street, when I got home mum would try and guess how many goals Leicester had scored from the crowd noise (a pitiful number during the McLintock year). They can still hear the KP, especially during the PL winning season which got louder and louder as the season went on. Despite only being just up the road from City, you could never hear the eggchasers. From the same house, speedway (every Tuesday night) from the Leicester Lions and every 3rd Saturday in the month, stock car racing (which me and my dad were always at) could be heard from the Blackbird Road stadium.

Comment

Both Valencia and Levante when the wind is favourable.

Comment

Lived 10 minutes walk from both Linfield and Charlton, heard barely a peep from either

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                            I used to live close enough to the Oval that I knew to bring the washing in when they pulled the players off for rain, but I never heard a peep.
                                            If there's a big match on I can hear if a wicket falls or a six is hit.

Comment

A friend of mine used to live about half a mile or so up the hill from the surprisingly raucous Withdean and you could hear it quite clearly from his garden if not actually inside the house.

Comment

I can hear the crowd at the Kcom, sparse as it is these days, from my house. The rugby crowd seem to be a bit louder than the football these days – in fact, it's demonstrated to me the time lag there is when watching Sky on their online Go service on the rare occasions I stick a Super League game on, as even at the distance I am from the stadium I often hear the cheer through the window just before Albert Kelly or Jake Connor cross the whitewash on the screen. We're moving a few streets further away next week though, so I'll have to report back to this thread later in the summer.

Previously, I spent 4.5 happy years in Edinburgh barely a 5-minute walk from Easter Road. As with some other posters on this thread though, I couldn't comment on the volume from the flat as I was always in the stadium when a game was on while I was there. My flat was on the street that led to the away end though, which offered some interesting insight into the types of followings people would bring. When the likes of Hearts, Rangers or Aberdeen had been, you might find a few empty beer cans etc. in the street. When it was Celtic, it seemed more blue WKD and Buckfast, and pools of vomit.

Comment

Used to live 50 yards from the Baseball Ground during the promotion season of 95/96, could get quite loud when I was at home for matches.

For the promotion decider against Crystal Palace on the last day I couldn't afford a ticket, clubbing far more important back then, so a couple of mates came round to watch it as it was the live match on terrestrial. With about 20 to go we decided to try and blag in, so ran down to the ground to find that teh gates had all been opened so got straight in, saw us get promoted and then joined in the on-pitch celebration. Russel Hoult threw his gloves to the crowd and the bloke stood next to me got them, that would have been a wholly undeserved prize for me.

Currently live 1/4 of a mile away from Ilkeston Town, yet to hear a peep.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X