Telly Addicks - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telly Addicks - Weekend Matchgoing

To The Valley in hope rather than belief on Friday night for the second leg of the League One semi-final that football forgot. Matty Blair's late first leg goal has made the outcome a little less certain at least, but Charlton will of course be overwhelming favourites.

They've sold over 24,000 home tickets for this game, having abandoned the boycott/apathy that has kept a lot of fans away this season. I'm hoping they turn on their side at the merest hint of the meddling Northerners getting a foot in the game. It's a faint hope, but something to cling to at least.

On Saturday I'm most likely heading to New River Stadium to watch another Doncastrian side in London; The Dons face London Skolars in Rugby League League One. Apparently that's being preceded on the same field by a Rugby League World Cup Qualifier between Greece and Norway. A sporting fixture that has Big Boobs And Fire! written all over it.
    Last edited by Uros Predic; 16-05-2019, 15:37.

You might be on your own on this thread, UP.

I'd have quite liked to have seen your game but have work commitments tomorrow night and can't find a single game to tempt me on Saturday. I got a Watford mate four tickets for the Cup Final for him, his sons and dad and had no real interest at the time but now wish I'd tried to get a couple myself to take the boy as well.

With no proper rugby matches, speedway or cricket on in London I'd consider giving the Rugby League a try but White Hart Lane is such a trek from where I live, although I notice London Broncos are at home in Ealing too. I've half-heartedly looked at the hockey internationals in the Olympic Park but not sure if any of the family are free to get along with me.

What do people do on weekends if they're not at sport?

Comment

We're dancing at the Waldorf on Sunday afternoon.

Comment

Off to a Wembley final, seeking a double. Typical BRC stuff really.

Comment

Season is over. Off to a wildlife park to brush tapirs.

Comment

Darts presentation evening on Friday (I pick up two trophies)
            Nephew's Christening on Saturday
            My two sons' football presentation on Sunday

Next weekend will be the struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
              You might be on your own on this thread, UP.
              Aye, I wasn't going to bother, but then remembered it was the FA Vase/Trophy double header on Sunday and reasoned that at least E10 Rifle would be at that.

As has been born out.

Comment

I'd forgotten about them too, I'm sort of keen but not sure how attractive I find the idea of a less than half full Wembley.

Comment

Ms Felicity likes Berwick so much I’m definitely going to their probable last ever SFL game, playoff 2nd leg v Cove (0-4) even tho rain looks guaranteed. Pathetic fallacy I guess.
                  Dunno whether to record the cup final or watch it up there in a nice pub

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post
                    On Saturday I'm most likely heading to New River Stadium to watch another Doncastrian side in London; The Dons face London Skolars in Rugby League League One. Apparently that's being preceded on the same field by a Rugby League World Cup Qualifier between Greece and Norway. A sporting fixture that has Big Boobs And Fire! written all over it.
                    It's a good set up at Skolars, with some of the most reasonably priced pints in London outside of the Wetherspoons chain. That Greece game is a real curio, as they can't play the fixture in Greece for fear of getting arrested. Even more unusually they aren't outlawed by RU authorities, always on the lookout for illegal play-the-balls, but by a rival RL organising body (note this could yet prove to be the same thing, conspiracy theory fans).

Anyway it looks like a cracking day out. My fixture for the first real weekend of the summer is England v Pakistan at Headingley, as part of my mate's 50th birthday celebrations.

Comment

That Greece game is a real curio, as they can't play the fixture in Greece for fear of getting arrested.

Er, why?

Comment

There are two rival organising bodies for RL in Greece, and only one is recognised by the sports federation or whatever the equivalent is. If the other one organises games in Greece they are deemed unlicensed and in breach of injunctions that the rival body has taken out. However the one not recognised by the Greek sports federation is the one actually recognised by the RL international federation.

It's heady stuff, and RL has a habit of doing this (similar, if less spectacular, equivalents have happened in Italy and the US in recent years). The irony being there is barely enough interest in Greek RL to support one body never mind two.

Comment

Ah, OK. Many thanks. I'm surprised that it's an arrestable matter, I must say.

Comment

These virulent bald men fighting over a comb dispute are depressingly common in minor sports.

Cricket in the US has been dealing with them for decades.

Comment

Last night's 1-1 draw between Fluminense and Cruzeiro in the first leg of the Copa do Brasil quarter-final was unsurprisingly not a patch on what I'd seen earlier from Elland Road. Flu's manager Fernando Diniz is valiantly trying to develop a short-passing, possession based game but, on a low budget, the team lacks real quality. Ganso in midfield was disappointing and he was surrounded by a bunch of kids one of whom, João Pedro, scored an added time equaliser. Cruzeiro under Mano Menezes, with much greater resources were disgracefully negative. They scored with their only attempt of the game.

Hopefully, Flu's League game on Saturday will provide a better spectacle. Oh, hold on. Bloody hell, it's Cruzeiro again.

Comment

Wasn't going to get to a game but something I thought was happening now isn't happening so,if I can get a ticket I'm off to St Pat's against Bohs tomorrow night.

Comment

I'm probably off to Petco tonight to see the Padres against the Pirates (all the Ps), as long as the weather looks like it'll hold. I can't work out if I want the really, really cheap seats or if I want a decent seat.

Comment

Very decent seats for 15 USD

Comment

Went to Caton United v Highgrove in the last match of the North Lancashire League season - Highgrove won 4-2 in a game that the referee decided would be 35 minutes for each half, despite it being bright and sunny.

On Saturday I'll be watching another geographically challenged rugby league match - Toronto v Toulouse in Blackpool. That's the first match of Summer Bash - the Championship's version of Magic Weekend - and will be followed by Rochdale v Swindon, Featherstone v York and Bradford v Halifax.
                                      Last edited by Southport Zeb; 16-05-2019, 21:25.

Comment

Enjoy Petco, SB. I'm still wondering if I'll get to a game in this golden season. (We almost planned to come over for the Peanuts giveaway in July but then didn't and then dad died and, well, anyway)

A mate has said he's going to the Cardiff Churches League Cup final this weekend. It's at the prestigious Jenner Park and I might go. Can't decide really.

Comment

Ooh. Thanks, ursus. I've never used Stubhub before. I don't think I realised the price differential from the "real" price was so big (although it's only $19 at full price in the top deck).

Comment

It (and its competitors, like Seat Guru) are at their best under these precise circumstances.

Midweek game, fewer than six hours to first pitch, looking for a single seat.

I haven't bought a baseball ticket at the box office in years.

Comment

Getting picked up ridiculously early on Saturday morning to catch a flight to Stuttgart, before heading to see already relegated VfR Aalen take on Hansa Rostock. It'll be the fourth time I've seen Hansa this year.
                                              Sunday it'll be 1.FC Heidenheim vs FC Ingolstadt and then a mad dash back to Stuttgart.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                It (and its competitors, like Seat Guru) are at their best under these precise circumstances.

Midweek game, fewer than six hours to first pitch, looking for a single seat.

I haven't bought a baseball ticket at the box office in years.
                                                I've got a fairly glam seat down at field level, just past first base. For $24. Plus the usual administration fees and so on, but then that's true of buying directly, too.

Orange line from Amaya Drive (if I can get parking there) to 12th and Imperial for super easy access, too.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                  X