Long service (no) reward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long service (no) reward

Daniel Parlow leaves York City this summer as he is not being offered a new contract, after around 11.5 years service, during which time he's made it into the club's top 10 all-time appearances list and become the only player ever to win the Clubman of the Year award three times. However, the club are refusing to give him a testimonial or any kind of other benefit function because those years were served in two spells, neither of which were of an unbroken 10 years, which is the Football League stipulation for qualification for a testimonial. Most of Dan's time was served in our non-league period anyway though, and in non-league the stipulation is only 8 years, and Dan's first spell at the club ran to 9. Indeed, David McGurk, another stalwart of our first Conference spell, DID get a testimonial match and benefit dinner for having done 8 years, so they're not even being consistent with their own application of these "rules".

This appears to be just the latest PR own goal by a club hierarchy that consistently seem intent on doing all they can to anger and alienate the fans (indeed, the Supporters' Trust have won more points by announcing they are going to arrange a benefit match and a few other things for Dan instead), and it seems particularly mean-spirited given that it looks like Dan's professional career may well now have been finished by the severe concussion injury he got while playing for us this spring.

Any other examples of players being similarly discarded after such dedicated service without much or anything in the way of recognition or reward?

I can't think of any others, but I do believe that's a shocking way to treat Pars. He was my player of the season when we were promoted in 15/16, he also won the player's player of the season which showed his standing to the team. Unfortunately, he just couldn't make that step up to the Football League - can't fault his professionalism though.

He did an interview with our local journo about the concussion a couple of weeks ago (here, but make sure you're using an adblocker or it will be unreadable: https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.u...daniel-2839073) and he came across really well in it.

Fair play to the York Trust for arranging something.

Comment

I read Harry Redknapp's autobiography (yes I know but it was lying around in work and something to read) he said Bobby Moore used to be let in for free by the doorman on the players door at West Ham, not long before he died Harry was watching a match with Bobby and a steward came up and told him he had to pay or leave,Moore left and never returned.
      The way Manchester United ,with Busby's knowledge,treated Jimmy Murphy was shocking as well.

Comment

Well wouldn't you know it, the club have had a volte face and out of the blue, contrary to their earlier statement, there will now be a benefit year and match for Parslow. Obviously there has been no explanation or even acknowledgement of the change of heart.

This follows just days after a ticket price hike and negative changes to the concession model were announced, before a backtrack on some of it the next day after general outrage among the fans, with the change being blamed on typos rather than acknowledging the extremely negative reaction had had anything to do with it. They really are quite unbelievable.

Comment

Not quite as awful as the way Parslow's been treated by York, but my own lot have had to apologise for the ungracious way our club captain was shown the door this summer:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...dling-16215624

Comment

Working...
          X