Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vanity projects in football clubs/clubs run for the sole benefit of conglomerates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheriff Tirasapol would be my clear nomination. The football club of the Moldovan secret police, that rose to become the dominant force in the national game, then took over a load of national industries, then annexed its region from Moldova and set up its own country. All this under the rule of two ex-KGB associates.

Some would list their greatest achievement as losing twice to Spurs, but Id say it would be having the tackiest club badge to ever grace the Europa league.

Also, when I visited, my mate got hospitalised with food poisoning from a margarita pizza.
    Last edited by Big Boobs and FIRE!; 16-05-2019, 04:15. Reason: Removal of a graphic description of the mate with food poisoning shitting down his trouser leg in the Romanian customs office.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
      Also which Celtic is meant
      Stalybridge

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
        Sheriff Tirasapol would be my clear nomination. The football club of the Moldovan secret police, that rose to become the dominant force in the national game, then took over a load of national industries, then annexed its region from Moldova and set up its own country. All this under the rule of two ex-KGB associates.

Some would list their greatest achievement as losing twice to Spurs, but Id say it would be having the tackiest club badge to ever grace the Europa league.

Also, when I visited, my mate got hospitalised with food poisoning from a margarita pizza.
        Bizarrely, there is an article today on BBC Sport about all of this (well, not the food poisoning) ;

Trans-Dniester: The disputed 'smuggler's haven' ruled by Moldovan 'football kings'

Comment

Cheers Ray, an interesting read.

I shared it with my travelling companion from the visit who reminded me the away side we saw were Dinamo Bender, who sound like one of the Inbetweeners fantasy football team.

Comment

Given the current split of Belenenses in twain, is the current Primeira Liga faction now a vanity project?

Comment

Given that they can't use the name or logo of the original club and were drawing one tenth as many fans, I would say yes.

Comment

Working...
              X