No announcement yet.

Thwarted Trebles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and River Plate would probably stand a decent chance of doing a Treble, if Marcelo Gallardo ever starts caring about the league title.

Comment

Never mind giving a shit about it, does anyone even WATCH the Community Shield? The last one I remember watching was 1988, just to make sure Liverpool could actually beat Wimbledon if required.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        My impression as a youngster was always that the League Cup could be good fun but ultimately didn't matter. This was almost certainly coloured by the fact the club I supported was hoovering up league and FA Cup titles and seemed notably less bothered about the League Cup, but even so the first time I can remember a club with serious pretensions of challenging for 'big' trophies taking the League Cup seriously was Mourinho's first season in England.

From a distance, it seems to have exploded in popularity since I left England (having seemed to get steadily more highly regarded during my last few years there – I moved here nine years ago). Is that an accurate assessment? My impression might be affected by the fact I now live on a continent where people refuse to believe me when I tell them no one gives a shit about the Community Shield.
        I think I would say precisely the opposite.

Comment

You think it used to mean a lot and now doesn't, ad hoc? In the 1990s I always enjoyed it when the sides who struggled to challenge for the very top honours – sides like Aston Villa, Leicester and Liverpool – got their hands on something, but if Guardiola or Mourinho had turned up during that decade taking it as seriously as Mourinho did in the 2000s or Guardiola does now, they'd have been roundly laughed at.

Rogin, people down here do. They're mad about Supercups. Just last weekend, Boca Juniors, a club who hardly struggle for trophies, did this ahead of their first home game after winning the Supercopa Argentina.

Comment

You think it used to mean a lot and now doesn't, ad hoc?
            Yes.

Though reading your reasoning suggests that we are seeing things from significantly different perspectives. But I think that all clubs used to take it seriously (but those were also the days when potential winners of anything, especially cups, were drawn from a much much larger pool than now)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

a fair number of countries - eg Spain, Italy, Germany - don;t have a league cup

There was a Copa de la Liga in Spain between 82-83 and 85-86. Chronologically, the winners were:

Barcelona, Valladolid, Real Madrid, Barcelona. No season trebles, though,

Comment

League Cups depend on the circumstances. Have your team not won a trophy for a while? Then it matters. But I don’t think anybody really takes it seriously until the last eight or even four, when a Wemberlee final becomes distinctly achievable.

Comment

Yes, no team has ever walked out onto the pitch at the FA Cup Final with the chance to win the domestic treble. Liverpool won the League and League Cup double in 1982, 83 and 84 and that was surely their best chance of achieving this. Interestingly Spurs in 1982 came 3rd in the league, won the FA Cup and lost the League Cup Final, but for a while were looking good for all 3.

By the way, it will be an impressive achievement if Man City do it on Saturday, but does anyone else think it would lose a bit of gloss if they also win the FA Cup on penalties, eg. after another 0-0 draw?

Comment

Originally posted by SydneyToon1 View Post
                    Yes, no team has ever walked out onto the pitch at the FA Cup Final with the chance to win the domestic treble. Liverpool won the League and League Cup double in 1982, 83 and 84 and that was surely their best chance of achieving this. Interestingly Spurs in 1982 came 3rd in the league, won the FA Cup and lost the League Cup Final, but for a while were looking good for all 3.
                    We were also semi-finalists in the Cup-Winners' Cup*. Good old 'fixture congestion' probably did for a bigger haul that season.

*Knocked Ajax out of that tournament, too. (seand's boys gave us quite a tussle in the next round, as I recall.)

Viz the League Cup, it was never as prestigious as the FA Cup obviously, but it was a big deal back in the day - and seemed even more so when yer TV companies started broadcasting it live in the early eighties. (Perhaps because it was no longer sharing the fixture list with a full Saturday's league programme.) The tournament's (and the UEFA/Europa League's) relegation into 'second-rate' territory has always struck me as a 'post-Premier League/Champions' League'-thing. I think I preferred the pre-elitist days, personally.

Comment

You think it used to mean a lot and now doesn't, ad hoc? In the 1990s I always enjoyed it when the sides who struggled to challenge for the very top honours – sides like Aston Villa, Leicester and Liverpool – got their hands on something, but if Guardiola or Mourinho had turned up during that decade taking it as seriously as Mourinho did in the 2000s or Guardiola does now, they'd have been roundly laughed at.

Rogin, people down here do. They're mad about Supercups. Just last weekend, Boca Juniors, a club who hardly struggle for trophies, did this ahead of their first home game after winning the Supercopa Argentina.

Boca will be putting yet another star on that badge of theirs, then. I think that's 67 now.

Comment

Working...
                      X