Thwarted Trebles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thwarted Trebles

The most famous example was in 1977, but then, as now, the FA Cup final was played before the European Cup final, so Liverpool would have only ticked off one of the three legs in live play. Similarly, in 1994, Man United lost the League Cup final first, rendering it moot as to whether they would have targeted the FA Cup final had they been victorious. So, is this the first time that a team goes into the Wembley decider with all three domestic pieces of silverware actually in play?

It turns out to have already been accomplished in women's soccer - Arsenal Ladies winning the Treble in 2007.

Comment

No-one's gone to an FA Cup final with the chance to complete a domestic treble before. Everton went to the 1985 FA Cup final with the League and the Cup-Winners' Cup in the bag, and would have completed a treble at Wembley, but lost 1-0 to Man United.

Comment

Well, apart from Arsenal Ladies as DR says, of course!

Man City Women were both close and not that close to doing it this season, as they had already won the WSL League Cup before claiming the FA Cup last weekend. However their chances of the league title had ended the previous weekend when Arsenal won their penultimate league game at Brighton to claim League title, which meant yesterday's Arsenal-Man City game was a dead rubber rather than the title decider it would have been if Arsenal had done anything other than win at the Amex (away wins to claim titles there is a theme this season, it seems). As it happens, Arsenal won the game against City yesterday anyway, inflicting the first domestic defeat of the season on them.
        Man City's Youth team also won the U-18 Premier League Cup, but lost the FA Youth Cup final (to Liverpool, as it happens. On penalties. In a game played at the City Academy Stadium with Guardiola watching on). They didn't win the U-18 section of the Professional Development League though (Derby County did, which feels significant for them as does their presumed participation in next year's UEFA Youth League as a consequence of their win).

As far as I know, there are no national level competitions in Girls Football to be the equivalent of Boys. On the male side there is, however, an U-23 section of the Professional Development League, and that has it's own version of the Premier League Cup. As far as I can judge, that is the only Cup Final of top flight level in English Football that Manchester City did not reach this year. Their 6/7 is surely a record of it's own.

Comment

Revie-era Leeds United missed out on a treble approximately 17 times. Not sure if that happened at Wembley though.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
            Well, apart from Arsenal Ladies as DR says, of course!

Man City Women were both close and not that close to doing it this season, as they had already won the WSL League Cup before claiming the FA Cup last weekend. However their chances of the league title had ended the previous weekend when Arsenal won their penultimate league game at Brighton to claim League title, which meant yesterday's Arsenal-Man City game was a dead rubber rather than the title decider it would have been if Arsenal had done anything other than win at the Amex (away wins to claim titles there is a theme this season, it seems). As it happens, Arsenal won the game against City yesterday anyway, inflicting the first domestic defeat of the season on them.
            Man City's Youth team also won the U-18 Premier League Cup, but lost the FA Youth Cup final (to Liverpool, as it happens. On penalties. In a game played at the City Academy Stadium with Guardiola watching on). They didn't win the U-18 section of the Professional Development League though (Derby County did, which feels significant for them as does their presumed participation in next year's UEFA Youth League as a consequence of their win).

As far as I know, there are no national level competitions in Girls Football to be the equivalent of Boys. On the male side there is, however, an U-23 section of the Professional Development League, and that has it's own version of the Premier League Cup. As far as I can judge, that is the only Cup Final of top flight level in English Football that Manchester City did not reach this year. Their 6/7 is surely a record of it's own.

Chelsea's academy side won the U18 Premier League, U18 Premier League Cup and FA Youth Cup last season.

Comment

Didn't they also win the UEFA Youth League last year? Or were they runners-up? For sure, you can throw in winning the WSL and Women's FA Cup, though not the Continental Cup (that was Arsenal, who beat Man City in the final). But only an FA Cup from the wasters in the Men's 1st XI, who ought to take notes on how to win from the other sections of the club...

Comment

Runners up to Barcelona; runners up to Porto this season! But they were also U18 Premier League - Southern Champions as well as U18 Premier League - National Champions last season.

Indeed. We won the men's, women's and kids' Cups last season, which I'm not sure has happened before.

Comment

TNS won the Welsh Premier League and the Welsh Cup this year, but not the sort of league cup where they were dumped on their plastic arses by a Welsh League side from the valleys who then got through to the final.

Comment

I think in 2013 Benfica lost the Portuguese title, the Cup Final and the Europa League final all in space of about ten days.

Comment

For sheer undiluted agony, Bayer Leverkusen 2002?

Comment

Turns out that domestic trebles are not that common at all. Here's the list of them all, and if you take Rangers and Celtic out of the list there aren't that many https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treble...mestic_trebles

(Though this scarcity value will be helped that a fair number of countries - eg Spain, Italy, Germany - don;t have a league cup so the possibility to doesn't exist.

There is a possibility that next weekend Bernardo Silva will do it for the second time in his career having been a teenager at Benfica in 2014 (though I think he was very much a bit part player in that team)

Comment

Iirc Bayern were also on for a treble of their own in 99, which was also league, cup and CL

Comment

How many English clubs have won all three at some point in their history?

Comment

There must be loads. Even Wednesday have done that

Comment

Definitely Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Villa, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Forest, Wednesday, Leeds, West Brom, Wolves and Blackburn. Everton and Leicester most likely to join that club, needing a League Cup and an FA Cup respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                  Revie-era Leeds United missed out on a treble approximately 17 times.
                                  Citation needed.

Comment

Burnley need a League Cup. That's an outside bet.

Comment

Celtic on the verge of a world first treble-treble.

Career trebles for Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibernian, Dundee, Dundee U, Kilmarnock and Motherwell. And more importantly for Dundalk, Shamrock Rovers, Bohemians, Shelbourne, Derry, St Pats, Athlone, Cork City, Limerick, Sligo, Waterford, Drogheda, St James's Gate, Cork Hibs, Cork United and Drumcondra.

Comment

Liverpool made the League Cup SF in the year they won the double (1985-86), which was also a season of major fixture congestion. Given their smaller squad, it's a comparable achievement to Man City.

Man U went one better in 1993-94: domestic double plus LC RU

I think they are the two most impressive domestic seasons before this one. However, it's worth noting that the LC was taken less seriously at the time Spurs and Arsenal did their doubles, and I'm not sure Revie's Leeds or Paisley's 1977 Liverpool took it seriously (I seem to recall Paisley gradually warming to it)

Comment

Spurs didn't even enter the League Cup in their double winning season. Arsenal appear to have taken it a bit more seriously in their (1971) one but were knocked out at Highbury by Crystal Palace in a fourth round replay.

Comment

Leeds' first tournament win was the League Cup in 1968.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              Liverpool made the League Cup SF in the year they won the double (1985-86), which was also a season of major fixture congestion. Given their smaller squad, it's a comparable achievement to Man City.

Man U went one better in 1993-94: domestic double plus LC RU

I think they are the two most impressive domestic seasons before this one. However, it's worth noting that the LC was taken less seriously at the time Spurs and Arsenal did their doubles, and I'm not sure Revie's Leeds or Paisley's 1977 Liverpool took it seriously (I seem to recall Paisley gradually warming to it)
                                              It became a bigger thing when it went to a set-piece Wembley final and attracted a UEFA Cup slot, I think. And in Liverpool's run of finals under Paisley and Fagan they played Forest, West Ham, Spurs, Man U and Everton, which were all big games just because of the opponents - I think every one of those teams won another trophy the year they met Liverpool for the League Cup.
                                              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 13-05-2019, 14:41.

Comment

West Ham's FA Cup win was the previous year (1980).

Comment

My impression as a youngster was always that the League Cup could be good fun but ultimately didn't matter. This was almost certainly coloured by the fact the club I supported was hoovering up league and FA Cup titles and seemed notably less bothered about the League Cup, but even so the first time I can remember a club with serious pretensions of challenging for 'big' trophies taking the League Cup seriously was Mourinho's first season in England.

From a distance, it seems to have exploded in popularity since I left England (having seemed to get steadily more highly regarded during my last few years there – I moved here nine years ago). Is that an accurate assessment? My impression might be affected by the fact I now live on a continent where people refuse to believe me when I tell them no one gives a shit about the Community Shield.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X