And Now, The End Is Near... - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluminense 0 Botafogo 1

Not a great deal to report. Botafogo scored and Fluminense, despite having the majority of the chances, didn't.

I shall not be going to Flamengo v Chapecoense. The game is almost sold out and I can't face getting there a couple of hours early to get one of the few remaining tickets. The Brazilian public has a far greater appetite for Sunday 11am kick-offs than I have.

Comment

The Likes of Doncaster 1-2 Charlton Athletic

The play-off game that football media forgot, in that it kicked off ahead of the final games of the Premier League season, and so generated bugger all coverage anywhere. Even the Guardian's match report was just three paragraphs cribbed from the Press Association.

Anyway, Rovers started really well - the age-defying James Coppinger going close from distance and Danny Andrew thwacking the bar with a free-kick. But then Charlton grabbed a very scrappy 30th minute opener, which outraged the Rovers fans who felt that the man pulling the ball back was offside. He wasn't. Two minutes later it was 0-2, as we were caught on the break and panicked a bit; heads still gone from the first goal. Though much of the second half was flat, a Matty Blair goal five minutes from time brought life to the home crowd, a touch of nerves to Charlton, and some hope ahead of the second leg, but only a bit.

A shame that a very enjoyable and positive season looks likely to fall away on three bad minutes, but there's no denying Charlton are a good side; bigger and stronger than us almost to a man and capable of playing a bit too.

Comment

Liversedge 1-3 Worksop Town

Big crowd for this - over a thousand, and kick off was delayed ten minutes for everyone to get in. I found myself sitting in a seat which looks to be normally reserved for corporates, which was pleasant enough. The game was quite lively, Worksop scored either side of half time from free kicks - the first fumbled in by the keeper, the second curled into the corner - then Liversedge pulled one back almost straight away. There was a fair bit of needle between the teams (previous from their encounters earlier in the season?), several confrontations and Worksop winding up the Sedge captain repeatedly, not helped by a lenient ref who let rather a lot go. There were chances at both ends before Worksop wrapped it up a few minutes from the end to complete the double having won every game since January 12th. Won't be seeing them again in the NCEL for some considerable time, if ever.

Wound up my season by managing to get lost on the way back to the station, I followed a structure that I thought was the racecourse grandstand and it was only when I crossed a railway line that I discovered I was going in completely the wrong direction. I don't know how most other people walked from the Keepmoat to Donny station this season, but I bet no-one else went via Bessacarr.

Comment

Working...
        X